Dodge R5 bell housing for Reid superglide, turboglide, and BTE case

-

Leon441

Reaction score
Without an adapter you can forget any drag race transmission behind a NASCAR Dodge R5P7 engine. You see them on eBay and racingjunk boating 800+ HP and wonder how you could run one.

The big hurdle is gone. For those who want to run a powerglide or turbo 400, I have a bell housing that bolts to the one off R5 block. A lightweight 3/16" steel sfi approved QuickTime bellhousing. Then you bolt any Reid or BTE case that would use their bells on popular engines. No starter spacer needed. The flexplate is 130 tooth, so your Mopar starter works. No nose spacers or shims. The flexplate and adapter hub is available for 8 bolt symmetrical or 6 bolt Ford crank patterns. A standard gm style converter works.

I recently found a guy running A-1 proflight with adapter ring to use a Reid bell. The QuickTime R5 bell will work for this also.

I already have the first run kits. Been running one in my 65 barracuda with no issues.

Attachments

• _20150224_121622.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_20150325_165032852.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_20150319_195652.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_20150228_115557632.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 417
I know you put a lot of time and head scratching into making this a reality.
I have always felt that plates and spacers are a band aid , but this looks like a real fix.
If I was planning an R5 / P7 deal , this would be the way to answer a lot of questions.

how much do you get for the bell and spacer?

The kit includes.....
QuickTime R5 bellhousing
Hayes flexplate
Hub adapter
Mounting bolts for bell and flexplate

Price is $1,000 from me as previously promised.

If/when QuickTime offers these parts through their catalog.
Bell with bolts $750 minimum
Flexplate with crank adapter $350 minimum
This is based on prices I see for other applications no where near as rare.

I knew soon after buying engine with adapter plate from Bob their had to be a simpler solution. I patterned the R5 and LA blocks. Went to JW, ATI, and Reid. Dennis Reid did not blow me off. ATI adapts to an olds bell. JW bolts to pump and I had grown tired of that design and some of its issues. I thought of plugging and redrilling a JW. My stock case leaked. So I wanted rid of it.

PTC was nice enough to sell me a Reid Mopar bell. I reloced everything. One huge surprise the new bells had a gen3 hemi starter pocket that left out the material for the bolts on the PS. Had to cut it out and put material in for the bolt holes. Lot of work and heat. Melted sfi sticker off so no chance at being even dreamed of legal. No way to convince Reid to cast bells and let me machine the bolt holes for R5 the necessary material was just not there.

I made one work but couldn't get sfi cert and it looked horrible. Found out about QuickTime, called. Was told many had called before but they were not interested in figuring it out. Once they realized it was figured out we got the ball rolling Oct. 2014. That was the easy part. Then the corporate guys wanted credit card and you get what you get. 2014 PRI I travel to Indy had plans with a vendor to display bells. Found out that Thursday evening that they were not done. Shows Friday. Told I would have them in two weeks. Accel/prestolite was bought by MSDC and all material purchases frozen. They finished their business then started the bells. I receive in Feb 2015. I am not a patient person, that was the hard part.

I had everything ready by end of February. Then gave the transmission part swap to a local guy. I plan to use for those who may want me to provide a transmission. Otherwise I would have done myself. He was backed up with the season starting. Found out I needed some parts so two weeks later I got car together. Works great. Just need dry weather to race.

Here is a pic of the modified Reid bell that we modeled the QuickTime bell from.

Attachments

• IMG_20140930_173521679.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 403
Tested at Rockingham's Mopar event. Perfection as far as the bell and tranny. Can't say as much for using the delay box.. Not a bracket racer.

Those who have no interest in running the R5 are probably sick of reading these post, lol.

Have made a few dozen motor passes with the new setup. Last Friday made some nitrous test hits. New shocks are great. Latest suspension setup drives like a sports car on rails. But, very susceptible to tire shake. That's a good thing as far as testing the bell. Everything's tight as a tick. Could not be more pleased with how this is working out. The bellhousing's, that is. The suspension needs attention and the three year old valve springs are tired of 9,000 shifts and street driving. Installed a shorter spring that fit better and should last even longer.

I for one would love to see pics of your R5 setup. Is it installed in the Barracuda in your avatar?

Yes it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20140421_185801320.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 309
  • _20150322_151133.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 341
-
Back