Dodge RV... what's it worth?

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
Mods if I have this in the wrong forum please move it.

My friend has a 1979 Dodge motor home with a 360 w/ 727 transmission. It has 34000 miles on it. I have drove it before and it drives like a brand new vehicle. I was amazed on how well it drove compared to how big it was. It has new tires on it which was like $800. He doesn't have use for it any longer and he asked me what I thought it was worth since I'm a Mopar gear head. I couldn't even tell him much but I knew who I could ask.... so Im asking. lol

It's still in good condition on the inside. He said someone was interested in just engine and transmission but it would be a shame to disable it because it's still nice. It cranks and runs just fine.
Here is a picture of what his looks like (not the actual vehicle)

Attachments

• rv_slide.php.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 3,026
That sure is sharp for a '79. My guess would be $4000 or less. I just can't see someone paying much more than that for such an old unit.

I bought a 77 Dodge camper several years ago for 300 bucks. It was in about the same condition as yours, minus the new tires. Drove it ALL over. About 4 years after I got it, it was in a bad hail storm. Progressive estimated it at $2,500 and since the hail damage totaled it, they gave me a check for $2,500 and I told them that I wanted to buy it back. They charged me $500 for the camper back.

I hope that kinda gives you an idea for what the insurance company's think of them. It turned out to be worth more then I thought.

Yours I'd say $1,500 would be a good price.

That sure is sharp for a '79. My guess would be $4000 or less. I just can't see someone paying much more than that for such an old unit.

I'm sorry... the picture isn't the actual RV itself but it looks just as clean looking. I added that its not the actual vehicle now in my first post.

They don't have much value, even the low miles doesn't really make it worth much more than one with 100,000 miles.

the problem with old motorhomes is the sitting causes as much damage or more than the miles. If it had been stored inside then that is a big PLUS, the new tires are a plus, but how are the brakes, transmission, ac & exhaust.

Usually they need quite a bit of work even when they look great. Does the refrig and water heater work, does it have a generator? roof top AC? does it work?

If it checks out and you have a use for it then I would guess $2,500 to $3,000 TOPS. Personally I wouldn't pay over $2,000 for it

I have used motorhomes since the early 70's and think they are overrated unless you really have a use for it, camping at fishing holes in the middle of NO WHERE, that is about it, too many hotels and cost to operate doesn't come close to saving any money.

I could use a 36' diesel pusher any time I wanted and it sat for over 2 years without moving off the property and for most of it is was inside the barn. I did take it to Carlisle pulling my 24' car hauler 8.8 MPG about 500 miles one way 10 Mpg without the trailer. i can stay in a lot of Hotels for that

The gas motorhome had a 413 and got 7 MPG gas and 6 on propane, my guess the class C small block MH would get no better than 10 mpg

My 2 Cents

i see a lot of old dodge motor homes in great shape, low miles going in the 1000-2000 dollar range. most people nowadays are buying them up and pulling the drivetrain for other projects.

I see them anywhere from 500-2000, if just using the drivetrain, getting rid of the rest of it can be costly. Best bet is to look on local CList or something and see what they are going for in your area. Who knows... put on CList or something for 2500 and see what happens.

i see a lot of old dodge motor homes in great shape, low miles going in the 1000-2000 dollar range. most people nowadays are buying them up and pulling the drivetrain for other projects.

Here, too. There were a couple just like the one in the photo, IE that class and not real big and heavy, that APPEARED from the description to be in fairly good shape, and in the 1 -- 2K price range. Fact is, lately, they just aren't worth much.

The economy, price of fuel, availability of loans, all add up. A lot of people I know are more worried about having a job than where they might go on vacation

I would like to see pictures of it.I need a bigger motorhome to tow with.Pm sent with my email. Mark

Mods if I have this in the wrong forum please move it.

My friend has a 1979 Dodge motor home with a 360 w/ 727 transmission. It has 34000 miles on it. I have drove it before and it drives like a brand new vehicle. I was amazed on how well it drove compared to how big it was. It has new tires on it which was like $800. He doesn't have use for it any longer and he asked me what I thought it was worth since I'm a Mopar gear head. I couldn't even tell him much but I knew who I could ask.... so Im asking. lol

It's still in good condition on the inside. He said someone was interested in just engine and transmission but it would be a shame to disable it because it's still nice. It cranks and runs just fine.
Here is a picture of what his looks like (not the actual vehicle)
Also need to know the tow rating.I have a 28' foot trailer,I am vary interested in the hole motorhome. Mark

Here in California those are all over for under $3,000 but must are in the $1,500 range and don't seem to sell even at that price.

I like these old RV's but they have leak problems at the seams on the roof. If I was going to buy one. I would be looking at American Clippers models or one like it. They have a solid one piece fiberglass roof that raps over the side panels. Or even an FMC they had similar roof and were top of the line in early 70's they had a 440ci for a rear mounted pusher motor.

I've been actually looking at these things lately, just because they....are....so....ridiculously.....CHEAP!!! But as Zhandfull mentioned, you've gotta watch the roofs for leaks and interior damage. But yeah....uhhm...I'd guess that one's worth about $2250~$2500. I am looking for a Dreamer or a Lazy Daze (all aluminum riveted camper section with a Dodge van front with a 440) Even the nice ones can barely fetch $3500.

Here's one I've got my eye on....check out that price, and the dude said it was a 440.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/rvs/2734695727.html

I gave $2750 for one in 2006 and it even had a generator on board. It was nearly perfect in every way and I am the second owner. Mine has the 360. Today I would be lucky to see $1500 in this economy.

-
Back