Dodge SRT Hellcats And HEMIs Could Die In 2019

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score

By Joel Feder

Many moons ago, Dodge gave enthusiasts a shot in the arm when it unveiled the Hellcats--two cars that come from the factory with a 707-horsepower supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI V-8.

Time could be running out on the Hellcats, as sources suggest all HEMIs in SRT models will be gone from the Dodge lineup by 2019.

There's considerable imprecision in any future-product plan, but a source at JeepTrackhawkForums indicates that the current plan is for both HEMI engines to end their run in 2019. Both the 6.4-liter and supercharged 6.2-liter units will be supplanted by twin-turbo four or twin-turbo six-cylinder engines, depending on the vehicle.

These unconfirmed reports make sense, with impending CAFE requirements that will almost certainly make V-8 engines a rarity--especially for automakers without big electric-car credits to apply against them.

If the Hellcats and HEMIs die after the 2018 model year, all the tire-smoking versions we've sampled in the past few years would undoubtedly become collectors' items.

We called Fiat Chrysler Automobiles [NYSE:FCAU] to try to confirm some of these product plot points. FCA's official response: "We can't comment on future products."

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1099646_breaking-srt-hellcats-and-hemis-set-to-die-in-2019

A 15 year run for the Gen 3 Hemi isn't a bad thing. From a hot rodding standpoint, it's a good thing is that they were used in lots of vehicles so there are lots around compared to the 426 which only lasted what? 7 years and only made it in a few vehicles.

Damn government

LOL, that's funny.

How is it we have a 700+ HP Hellcat with this "damn government"? How is it the best days in automotive history for car enthusiasts is right now even with all the government regulation? I'm old enough to have heard about the death of the American performance car since the '70s... Thankfully American ingenuity figured out how to get performance and fuel economy out of the same package.

Can't wait to see what the future brings... as long as it's not an autonomous future, I'll be good.

Don't worry these auto publications make money off people's fears and doubts. The Hemi may disappear in CARS only but it will continue in trucks. Also FCA is rumored to be developing a new smaller V8 possibly based off the Pentastar V6 with provisions for twin-turbocharging from the get-go. Maybe the Hemi name will go away but not the performance.

LOL, that's funny.

How is it we have a 700+ HP Hellcat with this "damn government"? How is it the best days in automotive history for car enthusiasts is right now even with all the government regulation? I'm old enough to have heard about the death of the American performance car since the '70s... Thankfully American ingenuity figured out how to get performance and fuel economy out of the same package.

Can't wait to see what the future brings... as long as it's not an autonomous future, I'll be good.

What he is trying to get thru to you is the simple fact that "the government" should have nothing and I mean nothing to do with the fuel economy of cars. Just another intrusion into our lives. I THOUGHT YOU LEFT HERE RICK, YOU TROLL!:finga:

It's not over till the "Fat Lady" sings... I don't know how many of you know the "Challenger" was suppose to come to its end in 2013... But, It's still here.
However, just in case they do, As Toolmanmike pointed out, they made a "huge" number of generation 3 HEMI powered vehicles... that should live on for many, many years in all sorts of Hot Rods... Maybe even to the scale of the small block chevy???

I'm not worried...

Clif of Az.:coffee2:

What he is trying to get thru to you is the simple fact that "the government" should have nothing and I mean nothing to do with the fuel economy of cars. Just another intrusion into our lives. I THOUGHT YOU LEFT HERE RICK, YOU TROLL!:finga:

Lol. Damit Rick!

Ahh, so American cities should look like Chinese cities since our government shouldn't regulate what goes into the air we all breath???

Here ya go... This is what happens when industry can do whatever the hell they want...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/04/asia/china-beijing-blue-sky-disappears-after-military-parade/

Blue sky vanishes immediately after Beijing's massive parade

150904021650-beijing-parade-blue-before-after-exlarge-169.jpg

You know what government regulation got us??? The Dodge Hellcat :D

2015%20Dodge%20Challenger%20SRT%20Hellcat%20main.jpg

and... Bugatti Veyron...

bugatti-veyron-2011-bugatti-veyron-164-super-sport-review-car-and-driver-photo-370402-s-429x262.jpg

Screw the '60s. These are the times to be an automotive enthusiast...

Rick is a HYPOCRITE AND A TROLL. Some of us don't forget Rick! By the way did you ever claim your award? When I asked you many times before you failed to answer! Tell me TROLL why should the government have any say in our fuel mileage. Now before you answer re-read what I had posted. There are pollution controls on the vehicles we drive, why force manufactures to produce cars we don't want? Well maybe you want the garbage they are forced to make. I am done feeding the TROLL RICK! :finga:

Suddenly it's 1971 again, this time with a warning.........

Not Really, twin turbo V6s are a lot better than 170hp 318s and a lot more market when the aftermarket gets a chance. Already built for boost.

One more thing RICK THE TROLL, show the evidence that gov't. regulation got us the Hellcat! Please provide thread to this.

The federal regulations is what turned the performance boom of the 60s and it took 40 years to build it back to something interesting again. So that has been going strong for the last 10 years but just like in the ealy 70s the feds are going to kill it. Last time it started with emission requirements the automakers had to make drastic changes to meet, this time it is going to be fuel efficiency standards that are radically higher they will have to make drastic changes to meet. There still should be a few high dollar cool cars out there because its only the masses government want to control, not themselves and their rich and famous buddies.

Go to allpar.com for great inside info on this! In the Mopar news and rumors section in the forums. It definitely looks like the Hemi and v8 will be gone in all of their cars for the 2019 model year. You still should be able to get them in trucks. They will still have SRT cars but they will be twin turbo V6 powered making around the same power as the current Hemi but not the Hellcat. Also no word on Viper... I'm glad I bought my Scat Pack Challenger this year!

Go to allpar.com for great inside info on this! In the Mopar news and rumors section in the forums. It definitely looks like the Hemi and v8 will be gone in all of their cars for the 2019 model year. You still should be able to get them in trucks. They will still have SRT cars but they will be twin turbo V6 powered making around the same power as the current Hemi but not the Hellcat. Also no word on Viper... I'm glad I bought my Scat Pack Challenger this year!

Sorry, but allpar has been wrong on the history of our cars so many times that I can't believe what they say about the future of them.

So, this whole article is based on what someone said from a message board and then typed "lol" at the end of the post?

Yeah, that's some real journalism there.

One more thing RICK THE TROLL, show the evidence that gov't. regulation got us the Hellcat! Please provide thread to this.

The quest for EPA acceptable fuel economy and emission is what led to the millions of dollars spent designing engine control systems, and efficient transmissions which give us economy, performance, and clean air. You need a thread to prove that to you?

Sad.

Sorry, but allpar has been wrong on the history of our cars so many times that I can't believe what they say about the future of them.

I always found them to be pretty factual. What I like about allpar is you actually have Chrysler engineers and workers giving inside information on product development.

By Joel Feder

Many moons ago, Dodge gave enthusiasts a shot in the arm when it unveiled the Hellcats--two cars that come from the factory with a 707-horsepower supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI V-8.

Time could be running out on the Hellcats, as sources suggest all HEMIs in SRT models will be gone from the Dodge lineup by 2019.

There's considerable imprecision in any future-product plan, but a source at JeepTrackhawkForums indicates that the current plan is for both HEMI engines to end their run in 2019. Both the 6.4-liter and supercharged 6.2-liter units will be supplanted by twin-turbo four or twin-turbo six-cylinder engines, depending on the vehicle.

These unconfirmed reports make sense, with impending CAFE requirements that will almost certainly make V-8 engines a rarity--especially for automakers without big electric-car credits to apply against them.

If the Hellcats and HEMIs die after the 2018 model year, all the tire-smoking versions we've sampled in the past few years would undoubtedly become collectors' items.

We called Fiat Chrysler Automobiles [NYSE:FCAU] to try to confirm some of these product plot points. FCA's official response: "We can't comment on future products."

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1099646_breaking-srt-hellcats-and-hemis-set-to-die-in-2019

I expected nothing less, Karl ( non narsisstic one,to clarify..) Thanks , for the info.. Serious my, 700 horsepower from chassis lines? Just freekin' ( deleted due to my passion.!!.) unbelievable.. Back to junkyard rebuilds & re - rings......

They'll be gone in cars and probably also in 1/2 ton trucks. You'll probably still be able to find a V8 in a 3/4 ton. The 3/4 ton+ trucks don't apply to the CAFE rules.

FCA is going to have a SERIOUS issue meeting the CAFE standard since their sales are super SUV/Truck sided which is why you are seeing Sergio trying to merge with GM (unlikely) or others. Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai/Kia sell enough smaller cars and have an electrified vehicle in their mix that they should be able to meet it without too much trouble.

FCA is going to have a SERIOUS issue meeting the CAFE standard since their sales are super SUV/Truck sided which is why you are seeing Sergio trying to merge with GM (unlikely) or others.

I wonder if they can figure out a way to get all those European market cozy coups fiat makes credited to their account?

The quest for EPA acceptable fuel economy and emission is what led to the millions of dollars spent designing engine control systems, and efficient transmissions which give us economy, performance, and clean air. You need a thread to prove that to you?

Sad.

DICK, that still doesn't answer the question of why the gov't needs to intervene in cafe ratings! IT SHOULD NOT BE UP TO THEM TO DECIDE THAT. EMISSIONS? TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT ALL THE **** THEY PUT ON DIESEL TRUCKS! IT CHOKES THEM OUT, MORE BREAKDOWNS DUE TO THE BULLSHIT STOVEPIPE THATS PUT ON THEM WITH A HIGHER COST. As far as cars today, more plastic bullshit that if you have an accident they either cost a shitload of money to repair or they just total the vehicle. NO REASON FOR EPA TO GET INVOLVED IN THE MANUFACTURING OF OUR VEHICLES. AS FOR THE 60'S AND VERY EARLY 70'S IT WAS THE GOV'T. THAT SNUFFED OUT THE MUSCLECAR ERA NOT BROUGHT IT ABOUT.

The federal regulations is what turned the performance boom of the 60s and it took 40 years to build it back to something interesting again. So that has been going strong for the last 10 years but just like in the ealy 70s the feds are going to kill it. Last time it started with emission requirements the automakers had to make drastic changes to meet, this time it is going to be fuel efficiency standards that are radically higher they will have to make drastic changes to meet. There still should be a few high dollar cool cars out there because its only the masses government want to control, not themselves and their rich and famous buddies.

You are correct. The government did't create the musclecar era's they destroy them due to their appeasement of the green weenies.

-
Back