dodge vs. plymouth???

-

hosehead

Reaction score
was discussing w/ some mopar buddies recently and they all agreed that dodge was considered a "higher end" car than plymouth back in the day. I can understand dodge had the charger and so on, but does anyone have any feedback on this idea?? Dare I say the cuda was a lower end car than the challenger? Just curious....

thanks for the replys guys, but i was wondering if when you bought a new mopar back in the day, if they were sold as dodge being the superior car? My friends swear this is true....

Both had basic cars and then the "better versions". We have a 69 roadrunner... and the 69 gtx was supposed to be a step up or so.... it's like that with plymouth and dodge I would think

Plymouths were usually slightly smaller (shorter wheelbase) and had less standard trim options. Aside from cars like the GTX or Sport Fury GT Plymouth was intended to be the 'entry-level' marque for Chrysler to competed with Chevrolet and Ford. Dodge was a step above Plymouth and was meant to compete with Mercury and Pontiac. Then you obviously had Chrysler brand, and Imperial at the top (GOD I would love to have one of those...).

I personally prefer Plymouth though because 1) they aren't around anymore and 2) it was Plymouth product planners who invented the ideas for cars like the '64 Barracuda, '68 Road Runner, and '70 Duster, and Dodge merely copied those ideas.

I think at the the beginning of the muscle car era Dodge was touting the brute horsepower while Plymouth was still targeting the family market. That standard obviously didn't last long though...

PLYMOUTH Richard P and Don G. Sox & Matin ext.
I have always thought Plymouth was the top muscle car.
my 3 cents .

I too, always thought plymouth was marketed, as an entry level car compared to dodge? My best bud argues that its the other way around, making me second guess myself. But going way back, I believe ply. was making cars, while dodge was still only building trucks. I would sure like to know the truth, on the subject. IMO I think the 40`s/50`s ply.`s looked better than dodge. With exception of the 70 E bodys. Example, the neon. was`nt the ply. cheaper than the dodge? Any chrysler historical professors on this site? Hope my buds wrong, lol, cause he`s a chevy guy.

Plymouths were usually slightly smaller (shorter wheelbase) and had less standard trim options. Aside from cars like the GTX or Sport Fury GT Plymouth was intended to be the 'entry-level' marque for Chrysler to competed with Chevrolet and Ford. Dodge was a step above Plymouth and was meant to compete with Mercury and Pontiac. Then you obviously had Chrysler brand, and Imperial at the top (GOD I would love to have one of those...).quote]

That is the way I allways thought it was.

see thats what I thought!! We own one of each so Im not biased, but dodge made trucks and plymouth did have those models that dodge did not.(duster, a body cudas, etc.) thanks guys. would love to hear from someone who actually worked there back in the day though....

Plymouth has been chrysler's bottom line car for years even if you look at the caravan in order of base price was then voyageur then caravan then town and country just like the valiant being a cheaper car or the duster then a dart or dart sport it's just the way the companies were built. Not to say a valiant is a worse car then a dart just would have cost less and most likely come with a few less toys and cost more to get it fully loaded.

THE plymouth divsion was created to offer a cheaper car line in the 1930s

Example, the neon. was`nt the ply. cheaper than the dodge?

When the Neon was introduced the only difference between the Dodge & the Plymouth was the emblem on the hood. The cars were EXACTLY the same including price. My wife & I ordered one about 4 months after they were introduced (big mistake). At the time I insisted we get a Plymouth because my first car was a Plymouth.

Personal Preferences:
Dodge for A bodies: Swinger body Prefered
Plymouth for B bodies and C bodies: RR, GTX, Sats, and Furys prefered.
F bodies: No preference

1970 Road Runner 440+6 with the air grabber

1971 Cuda shaker hood and billboard graphics

Plymouth has the best muscle cars.

-
Back