Does ammo ever go bad

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
I was doing some trading today and I was selling/trading a console for a chevelle (I know, I need to get rid of GM stuff)

Well he offered this .22 ammo as part of the trade for everything he wanted. I have not given an answer yet but there is 25 boxes like this but they are old because that is a very old Wal-Mart price tag and he thinks they are about 15 years old .....all the boxes are still sealed except this one

So does this stuff go bad and I am ripping myself off or should I accept it. If they are good then I have no problem with it because the $$ value is ok for me....I would rather have something of value in trade anyway because I don't really like cash.

Attachments

• 20150127_210432.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 399
I shot some ammo from ww2 on New Years and it worked fine

brass shelled ammo doesn't go bad because the powder is safe from the elements

having said that, .22 ammo is dropping in prices again, looking at that stuff I would consider it to be worth 6-7 cents per round so if he has 25 boxes your looking at roughly 825 dollars worth of ammo

come to think of it, feel free to send me a few boxes of it when you send out that oilslinger to me

I would consider it to be worth 6-7 cents per round so if he has 25 boxes your looking at roughly 825 dollars worth of ammo

OMG ....that much!!! we both were thinking wayyyyyy lower value .....if that is the case then I am an idiot to not take it.

WOW!!! 25 boxes of 550 rounds each? That's 13,750 shots. Even I could be an expert marksman by the time I got those used up!

me and the trader were going by face value on the box ....it says $9.66 on the box but now I am thinking that is an old price ......because at $9.66 a box that makes the value that me the tradeee and the trader were going on.

I'll take a box and even come down to your area to get them. I haven't been lucky enough to buy any 22 ammo in over 5 years. Walmart is always out.

I'm no expert here, but, yes, ammo should be stored properly, especially if you're talking long term. Moisture can be a problem. All my ammo is sealed in military ammo boxes, which are airtight. You might want to get ahold of a random sampling of the ammo to check it out.

I'm no expert here, but, yes, ammo should be stored properly, especially if you're talking long term. Moisture can be a problem. All my ammo is sealed in military ammo boxes, which are airtight. You might want to get ahold of a random sampling of the ammo to check it out.

federal is usually cheaper than remington too.

Take it and shoot it! For a little while it was hard to find and for a trade I would do it! I had some from the 1920's I found in the house and it worked fine. Also just think of the parts you can trade it for when the zombie apocalypse happens! LOL

Look in the open box and make sure the brass isn't all corroded. That's a steal if you both are looking at face/sticker price. I would take the deal in a second.

Can you ship that stuff? LOL I will tell you this I was at Cabela's last week and paid $7.99 for a box of 50 and was limited to 2 boxes. I would take it and then sell some of them to pay for the parts and shot the rest.

* for 50? That's crazy, I am lucky around here there are a ton of estate auctions and almost every one has ammo od some sort.

if the brass has been exposed to moisture then you will see green oxidation. If not free ammo is always a deal.

25 boxes of 550 rounds? Hells yeah, trade ASAP! Store it where the temperature doesn't fluctuate and never mention to anyone that you have it. 22LR is probably never going to get much, if any easier to find than it is right now.

Brass ammo should be fine.
As long as it's not green.
I'd be weary of paper shell's if they are ever offered, but that's not your case. 25 box's of .22LR you could sell at a swap meet easily.

I have some centerfire ammo that hang-fires[click...BANG]. It's been stored properly for decades, but the primers seem to have lost some juice.

I can get Federal .22 lr boxes of 550 for $27.00 x 25 = $675.00. Probably less at that quantity. It is very hard to find boxes of 550 here. As said most will sell you boxes of 50.

I have some of those old boxes that I bought in the early 1990's. I paid $6.95 for them then. I have kept them inside, airtight ammo cans. I shoot them all the time, and have not noticed any problems. Just understand the failure to fire rate is higher on rimfire ammo than on center fire. Even new 22 ammo has failures. The hardest thing on ammo is moisture and extreme temperature changes.

Oh whatever! Unless it's been stored at the bottom of a lake or soaking in a vat of WD40 it will be fine!

yea they all look shiny and they shoot out the front of the gun which I guess is a good thing :???:

I don't really know much about this stuff because I am not a gun person per se .....I have a real nice one for a loud surprise if anyone ever breaks into my house and its me or them but that is as far as I take it. I don't believe in having a bunch of them and generally don't like being around them unless my dad is there to watch me.

that wouldn't me a mark 2 in your avatar would it?

(so does this mean I wont be seeing a few of those boxes on my doorstep?)

-
Back