Does ANYBODY make decent headers?

-

redlined

Reaction score
Getting aggravated. First I ordered coated underbody headers that hit the firewall and stock oilpan, so I sent them back. This engine [360] is now slated for another project, so I now need a set of block hugger center dump headers to mate with '90 exhaust ports which are Magnum openings. Ordered a set of Summit ceramic coated, [cheap at only $259] the ports were nowhere close for either LA or Magnum ports, wouldn't capture a gasket, so I sent them back.

I then ordered a set of coated Sanderson block huggers, [$469] which I waited over a friggin' month for. Finally arrived today, opened the box and the port openings on them look like somebody crapped on the flanges and smoothed it off with a hacksaw.

Tired of substandard parts because I drive a Mopar. To my knowledge TTI doesn't make block huggers, know of ANYONE who takes pride in their work or am I going to have to build the #%*& things myself?

Attachments

• junk 006.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 621
  • junk 003.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 606
Those look like they were designed that way. Actually looks like it may seal nicely.

I got a set of Dougs from pertronix about 7 years ago i :-k . Had them shipped raw and back welded around the pipe to flange outside then hoged them out to match the port work on the heads test fit and it was excellent, then sent them back to be coated. Slow process but they are still there no leaks.

The only full length headers that work are TTis or Doug's headers. That or your going to have to make your own custom set.

These look like a crosseyed 10 year old cut the flange openings with a misadjusted torch, beat the tubes to match, then sent to a blacksmith to be welded. I expected much better workmanship from Sanderson, especially for the price and the lengthy wait. Highly disappointed, and a more than a little pissed. I'd be ashamed to advertise Made in USA with work like that.

Like I said, this is the third set of crap quality headers I've sent back. I guess I will indeed have to build my own if I want a set that are worth a tinker's damn.

My apologies for the rant. Spent $1900 to get the trans rebuilt in the wife's pickup, it's worse than it was,back to the trans shop for another two weeks. My old LHS blew a fuel rail O ring, can't buy the $5 O rings from Mopar, but they'll be happy to sell me $1200 worth of fuel rails, etc. etc. Almost been afraid to rub my nose, because everything else I've touched has turned to crap lately.

Them little Hedman tight tubes fit.

Them little Hedman tight tubes fit.

That they do-and I'm glad to have mine installed and leak free. But, if the OP is as pissed off as he is about the perceived lack of workmanship on the headers pictured, he might be just as irritated about the lack of straight weld beads on the Hedmans as well.

I did have a minor issue with sealing on the #7 primary here a couple weeks ago, but it was a gasket issue more than anything. My only complaints about the Hedmans is the cost to have the attaching exhaust fabbed in, and the amount of time spent changing the collector gaskets should they blow out. But, I've become pretty good at doing them :D

What I'm kinda pissed off about is paying nearly $500 for a set of headers that have port openings that look like they were hacked out with a chisel, after waiting a month for 'em. Spent a month trying to resolve issues with Summit's shorty headers before that.

The opening/tube welds on Sanderson's are just plain scabby inside. Hell, I'm not in the header business, but I can lay a prettier wire bead than that. I've seen better welds/openings on $100 Blackjack headers.

Use Remflex gaskets and don't worry about leakage..

69crustydart, $2700 and up for headers??

those headders are made with the flanges like that , they are supposed to go on without gaskets , at least that's what I read on the site . Maybe I';m wrong , but that's what I remember

Sanderson Headers are made that way. They are designed that way so you don't have to use a header gasket only RTV on them. Just call them and they will tell you the same thing.. I have seen them used on alot of cars and trucks and the owners love them...

That they do-and I'm glad to have mine installed and leak free. But, if the OP is as pissed off as he is about the perceived lack of workmanship on the headers pictured, he might be just as irritated about the lack of straight weld beads on the Hedmans as well.

I did have a minor issue with sealing on the #7 primary here a couple weeks ago, but it was a gasket issue more than anything. My only complaints about the Hedmans is the cost to have the attaching exhaust fabbed in, and the amount of time spent changing the collector gaskets should they blow out. But, I've become pretty good at doing them :D

Like Hotlines stated, try Remflex gaskets- about $25 a set for Mopar BB ($22 for my 3.8L SC Buick Regal GS) through retailers. Me and a couple buddies put them on and not one issue

$2700 headers? Headers for my buddy's 6.3 AMG were cheaper, holy sh@t!

I HAVE A SET OF HEDMANS ON MY 340 Duster. Just put an header back system from Jeggs, $250.00 with "H" pipe kit. the fit was not bad. Did not include mufflers.
Jim

-
Back