Does anybody make porting templates for LA heads?

-

340_833 dart

Reaction score
I've got a set of "O" 2.02"/1.60" heads on my 340 now. I would love to get a new set of Edelbrock heads but don't want to spend that kind of money.
So, I thought I'd gasket match the intake and exhaust ports and clean up the castings some in order to help the air flow and take full advantage of the Voodoo cam.
I'd like to do some minor porting to open the runners some but do not want to hog out the heads.
I know there are porting templates for W-2 heads but I've not ever seen any for standard heads.
Does anybody make such templates?
Thanks.

Not that I'm aware of. If you have some I.D. calipers, try to get the throat as close to 88% without going over.
Valve job = 35-45-60-75 and blend the bottom and top of the 75 with a cartridge roll. I'd keep the top cut as wide as possible, the 60 about .080 wide and the 75 only needs to be .030 wide.

Next, open the pushrod pinch as much as your comfortable with. If you can, run a chevy .100 long valve and drop down the guide size to 11/32. Biggest gain here is the valve because the sb mopar port loves the nail head design.
The 11/32 stem is not really responsible for any flow gain but the culmination of stem size, nail head and lighter valve all work much better than oem replacement valves.
You don't have to do the ex. valve 11/32 if you don't want to...some guys need the ex. to match the intake (stem size) but it's not imparative.
You will need to change the retainers as well unless your using a 10°retainer already the just switch the keepers for 11/32.
On OEM heads I try to use the Beehive springs because they work well at short installed heights and clear any rocker arm!
Hope that helps some...
Brian

A few years back mopar sold them for the stock cast head but I don't know which one -could have been for the "x" head
I have seen them on e-bay occaisonally

use a 2.05 intake valve if you can, that alone wil give around 5cfm give or take through the rpm range

A few years back mopar sold them for the stock cast head but I don't know which one -could have been for the "x" head
I have seen them on e-bay occaisonally

The only porting templet i have ever seen from MMP was for the w2 Heads

they have a set for big block heads up there right now - but no small blocks at the moment

88% of what? I'm not following?

88% of intake valve diameter .88 X 2.02= 1.77" The "smallest" part of the bowl should not exceed or be any larger then 1.77" If you do you will loose bottom end.

Hopefully Brian will pop in and clarify it a little better, but thats basically it.

-
Back