Does anyone else think this isn't safe?

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
This seems pretty scary to me atleast

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M0XMVPE4og"]Scott using the Stickler - YouTube[/ame]

Wow, that's scary, better hope you don't fall on it.....where is the kill switch? Yikes!

i can see a few hazards with that ...but to me thats called getting a job with what you have available.

he should have another person near the key to be able to shut it down if needed...maybe the camera man.

otherwise seems ok.....i would do it with someone at the key.

Wow, that's scary, better hope you don't fall on it.....where is the kill switch? Yikes!

Especially with the way he was wrestling around some of the logs, leaning into 'em with enough force as he was facing the spike. If the log split unexpectedly of if he wasn't braced right, into the spike he goes.

Seems to me the spike is safe, it's the operator who isn't. Like with a lot of things.

A bit scary the way it is, but in some ways it may actually be safer than a regular splitter. The logs don't look like they want to spin, so I guess It doesn't really grab much even though somehow it is augering into them. There's no pinch points and no chunks flying - both of which a hydraulic ram can do. Catching gloves and clothes is an issue with any spinning tool, but I wouldn't want to handle wood like that without gloves. My biggest concern would be the back fatigue hunching over it. Set it up with a kill switch, some kind of gaurd rails around it and a pit in front to change work height and I have no problem with the tool itself.

The truck wont be able to take him to the ER :(
Pray for Scott.

I know someone who has one of those. I've seen him use it.

zkx14, The logs weren't spinning because they were on the ground. It was the ground keeping them from spinning, and allowing the screw to thread itself into the log.
If the log is not in contact with the ground, it will spin if the screw threads can get hold of it.

Robert, the guy I know has a safety bar with 2 straps and 4 suction cups on it. It attaches to the side of the vehicle, and surrounds the spike on three sides (top, left, and right). I'm told it's designed to accept up to an 18" wide log up to 28" long, and will act as a safety cage in case you fall forward.

It resembles one of those pickup truck bed extender things that sits in the opened tail gate. It's not as wide, but a little taller. I don't know it that comes with the spike, or if it's an option, or even if it's made by the same manufacture, but it would seem to offer some safety. According to the owner, even it it slips off the car or truck body, it will hit the ground on either side of the spike, before it contacts the spike.
It's made of 1 1/2" tubular aluminum.

I have no clue why "Scott" isn't using that safety bar.
...and Yes, the operator look to be far more dangerous than the tool, as usual. ;roll:

You realize we're talking about a guy who is swinging a hatchet directly at his leg, right?

I have not seen one of these in many years :coffee2:
An apple farmer had one hooked up
to an electric motor with a belt drive mounted to a concrete barn foundation so workers could split there own wood that was cut for all of us to use, I forgot all about that thing. it had a tin roof over it and the cone splitter hung on the wall
with a lock on it, Cool tool that got the job dun back in the day.

Would not be nice if it catches your pant leg, not a soul there to shut the truck off .But these were around for many years here in Canada , very popular in the late seventies and into the early eighties when oil prices went sky rocketing .They were used mostly in my neck of the woods on tractors with great gears ratios.

My wifes grandfather split 4 to 5 cords a year for as long as I knew him with one similar to that and lived to 83 yrs when cancer took him. His was on a tractor PTO but it did have a safety switch on a cord that hung nearby (usually from a hitch arm on his tractor). His wasn't really an agressive enough screw to grab human parts but it sure did grab logs......

Let's see, I seem to distinctly remember cold, fall, rainy, muddy, slick days "buzzing wood" with the tractor mounted saw. In the photo below on the trailer was the day I sold it somewhere around the year 2000 I think. By the way I DROVE it onto that trailer, and I damn near cried.

You can see part of the saw on the rear of the trailer. The saw mounted on the front of the tractor and had a GREAT BIG blade. You can see the drive pulley just in front of the rear tire, so that huge flopping belt --if it should, had, can, and will come off, could cause damage to anyone around

Guards???? Surely you jest

Safety devices??? My father would have swore

So, young little scrawny 67Dart273, before, I might add, that the 67 had ever been BUILT, would be standing INCHES from the GREAT BIG whirling blade, "throwing away" the wood that my overworked father was furiously feeding into it.

SOME of these pieces was too heavy for me to lift, so I'd have to simply drop some of them. This would of course be as the piece being buzzed got closer to the butt.

Attachments

• img004cs.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 242
  • img005cs.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 252
Gees Del.
Your childhood sounds about as dangerous as mine was.
I used to operate the bar end of one of these saws for my Dad.
Could you imagine what they would do to a parent these days for having a 10 year old kid on this thing?
We used to ride on the fenders of tractors, and on top of a load of stacked wood on the way home with a 2 ton Chevy flatbed.
Child protective services would have had a field day with parents back then.

Attachments

• mac55_2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 224
The science behind it is actually quite neat!! It's basically a carpenter's worst nightmare; a huge screw digging into a chunk of wood that's not pre-drilled...... It's gonna split the wood! ;)

While it may not be the safest option (I think swinging an axe would be a lot safer than that), it offers simple, economical, and VERY effective mechanical advantage, and that is what makes it all worthwhile imho; A table saw isn't as safe as a hand saw either, but I'd rather stuff twelve foot planks of wood through the table saw than waste a week trying to cut it with a hand saw... And really, safety is mostly dependent on whether or not the end user is a dumbass. As the old saying goes; no matter how idiot-proof you make it, someone will make a better idiot.

- CK

Gees Del.
Your childhood sounds about as dangerous as mine was..

LOL. Our saw was quite different that this one, but this is basically the same "Farmall Regular" and shows "what a guy faced" when dealing with a GREAT BIG sawblade

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWXzugPa_ko"]Farmall Regular 360 degrees - YouTube[/ame]

Same idea. This has some sort of guard. Ours had a "fancy" sliding table on ball bearings!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCEDuJGTyNo"]Cord-wood saw mounted on 46 Farmall M - YouTube[/ame]

dangers naaa send the kid out to split some wood...petty impressive you do realize that is knotty oak ,a mall would bonce off .

LOL. Our saw was quite different that this one, but this is basically the same "Farmall Regular" and shows "what a guy faced" when dealing with a GREAT BIG sawblade

We had one of these that used a big belt to turn a 48" blade on a table with rollers that my Dad would cut planks with.
The one we had, you had to put a 12 guage shotgun blank shell under a scew on cap, turn the engine to just over TDC and hit the cap with a hammer to fire the shell.
That would start the engine turning and it usually started on the first try.

Usually my job was to keep that top tank full of water to cool the cylinder and to keep those caps (red in this picture) full of greas for the crankshaft.
And of course it was running while I was doing it.

Attachments

• fairbanks.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 204
You realize we're talking about a guy who is swinging a hatchet directly at his leg, right?

Yes, but that's not what the questions were about. I was responding directly to the posts by Ramenth and zkx14. The questions/discussion were about the spike, and the lack of safety equipment with it.

I'm really surprised no one else has commented on the fact that he's wearing gloves. What he's operating is basically a horizontal drill press. If his glove gets caught while grabbing one of the split pieces, his hand will be mangled beyond use.

I'm really surprised no one else has commented on the fact that he's wearing gloves. What he's operating is basically a horizontal drill press. If his glove gets caught while grabbing one of the split pieces, his hand will be mangled beyond use.

See post #3. ;)

-
Back