does anyone here like Punk Rock?

-

alpha13

Reaction score
I'm assuming some younger people on here like it. But my dad is 58 and likes Blink182. Haha. Blink is my favourite band. I saw them on their reunion tour in council bluffs in 2009! What an awesome show! What are some of your favourite punk rock bands?

The A's
Black Flag
Sex Pistols
Ramones (soft punk)
John Valby (not punk but great stuff google him)

I was lucky and grew up just a train ride away from CBGB's

My two first cousins Bruce and Eric Yandle founded Mr. Resistor and the Incapacitators. They are pretty famous around the Auburn, Alabama area. Look um up. They're pretty good.

Yeah. They are good. They are also a part of "The Eastern Alabama Soul Coalition" as well as " Black Majik/I need Tyrone to make me happy" lol

Bad Brains, Circle Jerks,Fear,Bad Religion, etc... too many to name

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. ;-)

I'm assuming some younger people on here like it. But my dad is 58 and likes Blink182. Haha. Blink is my favourite band. I saw them on their reunion tour in council bluffs in 2009! What an awesome show! What are some of your favourite punk rock bands?

Sorry, Blink 182 is NOT punk rock.

Try these.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYhgcH7yrVc"]Germs - Lexicon Devil - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOHOM1hVM-M"]Dead Boys - Live at CBGB's 1977 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pUlNfdnsAM"]Bad Brains - Live at the CBGB's 1982 (Full Concert) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJL2AVKLP0Q"]Buzzcocks What Do I Get Electric Circus, Manchester, August 1977 - YouTube[/ame]

Punk rock to me is fast drums two note pwoer chords, basically the early-mid seventies "anti-Zeppelin" bands. Basically they werent the musicians that were the "stars" of the day, but they made their music work for them.

In the punk genre I like

Sex Pistols

Ramones

The off spring

Are the Violent Femmes punk?

Is Billy Idol Punk?

Dead Kennedeys?

The ones with question mark I am unsure if they are punk, and the opening statement is my definition/understanding of what is punk.

My son is in at least three touring Hardcore Punk bands at any one time. Yeah, you could say I dig it!

I like it. I agree with Ryan, too. No superstar musicians, but fun to listen to from time to time. Can't make a steady diet of it though.

Even did a few numbers with a few of the bands I played in. They were fun to do, too. All the cats looked at it as loud and lighthearted. lol

Two of the punk numbers we did were by the Tubes. One was "White Punks on Dope", and the other was, "I was a Punk before you". "You want some action? I'll put your *** in traction"!

I have been into the hardcore punk rock thing since I as about 14, kind of a way of life for me. Been to zillions of shows, played in bands, caused all sorts of trouble and did **** my own way.

This might sound of corny but being into hardcore punk rock shares some similarities with being a Mopar guy - we're always on the outside and largely misunderstood, even decades later!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAou8TD9i_U"]Robert Johnson - I'll Be Waiting - YouTube[/ame] [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d43gKl9xIME"]Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! Deluxe Remastered Version [Full Album] [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]

Dead Kennedys
D.O.A.
Sex Pistols
Gang Of Four
B52's
Dayglo Abortions
Devo
The Cramps
Black Flag
And many more that i still listen to occasionally that i grew up listening to all of the time!
So yes, i love it still!

I agree Blinks more like alternative.

They came out of the mid-90's So Cal 'pop punk' scene which again, was not 'punk' in any way, shape or form. Don't get me wrong, there were some great pop punk style bands but to me they were always just an afterthought. Was never an Offspring fan really. I was into Pennywise though, Face To Face etc.

I admit that many of my absolute, all-time favorite bands came from So Cal but they were from a different time and had a different attitude altogether. The Descendents were the first 'pop punk' band that I know of.

It's funny that the OPs dad is 58, likes Blink and his kid thinks it's 'punk'. It's OK I guess, we can't all be at the forefront of deviant culture. :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shF1R9tdylo"]Elvis Costello Little Triggers - YouTube[/ame]

The Ramones' "Wart Hog" is a pretty hard song. I also like Elvis Costello

Dayglo Abortions!
...great but tough to find on CD.
Been on my list for years. Always very pricey!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpprOGsLWUo"]Elvis Costello - Pump it up - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe Elvis Costello is more new wave, but I like it.

I'll pass, Lol! Just not my style :glasses7: although I do like many genres of music. To each his own for sure, but after listening to some of the videos posted above, I now know without a doubt I'm not a fan of punk rock!

I think if you look at the age of the pioneers of Punk you'll find your father was young. lol While a little bit newer same goes for Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Industrial etc....

I'm assuming some younger people on here like it. But my dad is 58 and likes Blink182. Haha.

I'm confused - subject line says Punk Rock, but first post talks about Blink 182? ;-)

I was a big fan of LA punk bands back in the '80-'85 era - had a mohawk back when people would pull across three lanes of traffic to stop and ask if you were looking to start something
Stopped being fun when the skinhead gangs (e.g. Circle One, Suicidals, DYG, LMP) were doing 50-on-1 fights at all the shows

My son's friend thought it was so awesome that I had seen Suicidal Tendencies (they sucked live back then - boring - they're a lot better now). My son wore all my old t-shirts to high school. They've seen a few of the bands from my youth now at various lots-of-bands festivals.

It was great to go see 7 bands for $5 twice every weekend

(and don't take my first sentence to heart - "LA punk's not real punk" was the common sentiment with the Brits and NY folks - so it's just a tradition to rag on everybody else's scene)

I love Mr. Resistor. Good music!

I think you guys are giving Blink a hard time.

When I was introduced to that band, they had one album, Cheshire, and they had no numbers suffixed to the band name.

They had to change it, due to conflict over another Celtic band, already sporting the name Blink.

I had this on CD-

220px-Cheshire_Cat.jpg

This is what it looks like in stores, now -

blink-cheshire-cat-264x264.jpg

I think just like a lot of bands that change over the years, they have ventured into pop music, but even Dee Dee from the Ramones said that they were not a punk band. They just sucked at playing pop music, so they sped it up. lol

Here is the Blink (182) that I remember. They are most certainly rooted in punk rock, as much as AFI was.;

That was around the same time that I used to listen to a lot of Lagwagon, Sicko The Voodoo Glow Skulls and other pop-punk and third wave ska bands had come into the realm, during the early 1990s.

Being a locality, the Descendents will always have a special spot for me.

My brother has recorded with them up in Ft.Collins. Good people.

I think Amy and I went through a case and a half of Milo's espresso roast. I need to get some more.

Amy%20Bonus%20Cup_zps3c89hefe.jpg

In recent years, I've become friends with Andrew Novick, because he keeps showing up everywhere I go. lol. He and Dan are the front men for my favorite punk rock band;

My hoodie is getting worn thin in places. I need to hit him up for one.
0303_pinchers.jpg

Although, I'm considering retiring it and replacing it with one of their alternate graphics;
shield_bieber_sm.jpg

They did a reunion show a while back and played with Dressy Bessy and the Melvins, who also pitched their drummer, so the Warlock Pinchers wouldn't be on a drum machine.

Andrew works on the atomic clock up in Boulder. He and his wife now run the Denver County Fair and is always at events, show judging and what not. He also teaches a class at DU on the social study of fun.

Last year at the Denver Modernism convention, he was one of the beauty pageant judges. Everyone was clearing out, covering their ears when Dressy Bessy took the stage and we were laughing at how awkward it was. It totally separated the old and young people among the crowd. Everyone was either on the dance floor or covering their ears, going into the other section of the Western Complex, to get away from the music on stage, hahaha... I don't know what they have in store for this year's modernism convention, but I've got my booth spot sorted out, for August.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hardcore scene is alive and well in Kansas City. Like it was mentioned before, it's very underground. Usually played in a shitty back room of a warehouse or even a print shop. It ain't about the money, chicks or fame. The kids do it for the love the music. If they see a hundred people at the door that's a big turnout. The touring bands get paid just enough to get to the next city, and usually crash on someone's floor. The local bands are just there to fill the bill. They are all good kids and I'm proud to be associated with them.

I shot this a month or so ago. I'm always the old guy in the back with the camera trying not to get his beer knocked over! Warning NSFW, strong language.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9oVqgZjBEw"]SPINE - KANSAS CITY, MO - FEBRUARY 27, 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

S.O.D.
Corrosion of conformity
Dirty Rotten Imbeciles
Black Flag
Nine inch nails. ..old stuff

And yeah our kids wore our concert shirts and jean jackets til they were rags.
and we ain't even that old

-
Back