Does anyone know ignition modules well ?

-

pearljam724

Reaction score
I have a 73 Dart with a 318. I know that depending on the ignition module you have. That particular module was designed for specific engines due to rpm capability that particularly module put out. With a stock 318, I’m not concerned with box rpm output. I have a 4 pin box. My question is, can I use any 4 pin box and it will operate properly ? I don’t see why it shouldn’t. Regardless of engine, make and model ? Can someone confirm this.

Well they are not, exactly. There are some OEM are supposed to be better than others, the "legendary" orange or chrome box. This is OEM not aftermarket.

But 5 pin boxes will not work in a 4 pin situation

The deal is this:

You can NOT tell a 4 from a 5 pin box by looking, because many 4 pin boxes have 5 physical pins. You must check resistance between all of the pins to determine if the "5th" pin is open/ disconnected

a 5 pin box MUST have a 4 terminal ballast. A 4 pin box can work with EITHER a 2 or 4 terminal ballast.

The "good" news is that nobody has made 5 pin boxes for some time. But you may run into a NOS one

The "bad" news is that all aftermarket auto parts "today" are pretty much junk. All poor quality, and all Chinese, all the time.

Well they are not, exactly. There are some OEM are supposed to be better than others, the "legendary" orange or chrome box. This is OEM not aftermarket.

The deal is this:

You can NOT tell a 4 from a 5 pin box by looking, because many 4 pin boxes have 5 physical pins. You must check resistance between all of the pins to determine if the "5th" pin is open/ disconnected

a 5 pin box MUST have a 4 terminal ballast. A 4 pin box can work with EITHER a 2 or 4 terminal ballast.

The "good" news is that nobody has made 5 pin boxes for some time. But you may run into a NOS one

The "bad" news is that all aftermarket auto parts "today" are pretty much junk. All poor quality, and all Chinese, all the time.

Looking to purchase a replacement ICM for my car (72 Dart 318) it has a 2 pin icm and all I see on Rockauto is 4 pin. Will a 4 pin work on my car?

That is what I was trying to get across LOL. 4 pin boxes will work with either 2 or 4 pin ballast, so YES

While we’re on the topic of these boxes. I ordered a chrome one and this is the one that showed up. Melted inside it’s container from a 80 degree day. Plus it wasn’t the one I ordered.

4D707C53-9016-4604-8859-17E3A566246D.jpeg

AEAF434B-C2FB-4D6C-9585-4ADA150F329D.jpeg

588E90E1-E7F7-4BC8-AB2C-95EDC9EB46E9.jpeg

I too, am always on the lookout for good quality 5 pin ecu's. I like to use the 4 post ballast resistor. I had bought an old NOS Napa Echlin ecu that was 5 pin. I called Napa and ordered another one, I went to pick it up and it was made in China, but it doesn't look cheap like most of them do today. The counter man said it has a 2 year warranty with receipt. The part number is TP50.
I've seen a lot of claimed new ecu's for sale. Always watch for the mounting bolt holes, if they have had the star washer bolt imprints on them I consider them used-and most of the time they don't work! BEWARE!

The deal is this:

-
Back