Does the primer color make a difference

-

Resto

Reaction score
Hey, my Dart is going to be a dark candy apple red, and I'm just curious if it matters the shade of my primer. I've always used grey but I'm curious if in general does the shade of primer depend on the paint color. Thanks-Jeremy

There's a value shade chart you can refer to, lighter colors use lighter color primers. You're probably in the middle to darker primer I would think.

Thanks guys. I have always been a mechanical technician. The body work is still pretty new to me but I have fun with it. I just still have a lot to learn. I want to post my restoration of this 74 swinger on the forum, I just have to figure pout how to post pictures from my Android first. I could USSR all the help I can get. I want to find some guys our girls on here that are close to me. I like meeting new car buddies that I can hang out with while building a classic Mopar.

Absolutely. Candy apple red is a multi-stage color too, each stage effects the final color. If anything, candy apple red is MORE susceptible to changes because of the primer color than a standard solid color.

Absolutely. Candy apple red is a multi-stage color too, each stage effects the final color. If anything, candy apple red is MORE susceptible to changes because of the primer color than a standard solid color.

and actually very impractical for that reason. Looks fantastic but very difficult to spray as you're building color with every coat so you have to walk the car, can't shoot it by panel or partial panel. If you get into a fender bender forget about being able to match the paint, if you use a true candy. House of Kolor has a line that mimicks candy so it looks similar but is much more forgiving.

Thanks guys. This was my first time using a candy color. Under the hood is finished. Will have pictures soon....but now i am wanting the while car hemi orange. I have a red ram hemi that I've been thinking about building up. Stock they only have 140 h/p.. They can be built to around 325..but that's a sport compact car...not Mopar muscle. Sooooooooooooo many options.

I'm not a paint guy, but doesn't a true Candy paint require some sort of base color first to give it the total effect?

I'm not a paint guy, but doesn't a true Candy paint require some sort of base color first to give it the total effect?
true 'candy apple red' is a base color coat followed by what can best be described as clear coat that is colored red. Very hard to get perfect (I've seen many jobs that you'd notice banding in the candy if you looked close). And the base could be silver, gold, whatever, and that vastly changes the finished look.
However, for many years people have called other colors 'candy apple red' (like what Rob mentioned) while they're not actually done the same way.

btw, I've known painters in the past who would use a contrasting primer so they could tell when the paint was the 'correct' color- i.e. they would never use red primer, only grey, if they were painting a car red (I'm talking about when those were the only choices lol).

My 72 dart was orginally bright red. While prepping the car for new paint I uncovered several places where the primer was yellow. I don't know if this was a regular practice or the car got painted again some where in its lifetime. I've read yellow makes red pop and also read it doesn't matter with today's paint. I also read that some shops tint the primer for some top coat colors

What about black primer????? i was looking to go back to the cars original color which is Y8 or a gold looking color..

This is one topic I never agreed with. A primer or sealer should not affect your final color. If it does, the you have NOT achieved FULL hiding or coverage. Think about it. If your color is being affected by your primer or sealer then what's the point of the color?? You are NOT getting the full effect of the color. Finding a sealer or color CLOSE to your color will help you get coverage faster... but if it is showing through, and affecting your final color.... then you are not achieving full coverage. Getting full coverage is essential to a perfect color match. If the sealer or primer was showing through on every single car you painted the same color by every single different painter in the world it would be impossible to achieve proper color matches.

Here's an example... Start with a black plastic part and try to change it to red or dark blue with SEMS dye. Wont happen easily. Take the same black part and dye it with SEMs light gray for blue, beige for red. You'll get nice coverage with less paint, and the correct shade.
I found it interesting that all OEM plastic parts in late model Fords were cast in a neutral beige, and they could use the parts without dye and call it camel/beige interior.
Another example... I chemically strip gauge needles for repaint. The orange comes off and the white primer remains. If the needle has been bent, a piece of the white primer jumps off so I have to remove all the primer. New orange paint over white primer will be just a little brighter than new orange over bare aluminum.
This is with a florescent water base acrylic, the SEMs dye is lacquer based, so what type paint probably doesn't matter.

Before & after primer.. the first pic is the color i am looking to put back on the car.. Y8 is the color code

Before

Attachments

• !BVP6kn!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKj0EjlLmRc54BKRkuu84b!~~_12.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 258
  • photo (6).JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 344
-
Back