Does this seem fair?

-

Shaun65dart

Reaction score
I was browsing my local online ads and came across this 225 slant with 4 barrel intake and Holley carb. Says engine rebuilt .030 over. Runs great. He wants 1000 bucks for complete engine. He claims the carb was 450 bucks and the intake was 680 but would take 800 for just the carb and intake. Is the complete engine price good or bad and what are thoughts on the carb and intake price?

3F7E2C47-178E-4F2D-8742-2E301E593216.jpeg

I was browsing my local online ads and came across this 225 slant with 4 barrel intake and Holley carb. Says engine rebuilt .030 over. Runs great. He wants 1000 bucks for complete engine. He claims the carb was 450 bucks and the intake was 680 but would take 800 for just the carb and intake. Is the complete engine price good or bad and what are thoughts on the carb and intake price?

View attachment 1715901285
Not a bad deal

Numbers on carb, my 380 Holly was near 380 dollars back 13 years ago, the intake seems quit high! Have you searched for a offenhouser intake lately, I paid 125 for mine used , but again that has been a while back , if he has records of the slant build with everything the price ain't bad for a low mile 30 over build, ask if he shaved the head some :thumbsup: a great way to kick the compression up.

if it was bored over, machined and assembled the seller has 1000 into it I'm thinking. New slugs, rings, gaskets I would hope new oil pump bearings etc. basically you couldnt rebuild it for that with the machine work added into the budget.

The carb price maybe about right, but he is really high on the Offy Intake.
If that is all want I would think 500.00 would be a fair offer.
Concerning the engine, a lot depends upon what was done.
Was the head redone with new seats and guides? When the cam was changed, was a new timing chain installed, was the cam degreed in or just set up dot to dot. That looks to be a hydraulic valve cover, is the new cam mechanical or hydraulic? I see the .030 over pistons, new main and rod bearings?
Does the seller have a receipt listing what was done, if so and it checks out with what was done 1000.00 is a good deal. If he does not have a receipt, the seller should at least know where the work was done, so then contact the machine shop to verify what was done.
If the seller can’t verify even that then I would consider it a core engine and you are really just buying the intake and carb for 500.00 and 75.00 for the core engine.
So with no documentation 575.00 tops is a decent deal.

1000 bucks for a slant 6 is about 900 too much...unless the car it is in comes with it

All that **** new is costly..Who buys new nowadays? If you want a turn key, and have the money, go for it.

View attachment 1715901285
Is it a value to you? Does it seem reasonable? Do you need a running slant set up with a 4 barrel? We can't answer those questions for you. Only you can.

-
Back