Does you car bring out the worst in other drivers, or is it just me?

-
I have found the same. When I'm sitting at a red light with the Barracuda the others wait for me to leave first.

always reminds me of this meme

mopar.png

I drove my 65 with my 451 in it and it would idle pretty loud. I'd be at a light and some guy would check me out. Rev his motor and I'd look at him and smile. Green light, he hits the gas hard breaks traction and I just let off the brake and glide forward. I guess he didn't see the police car on the other side of me! This has happened twice to me and both times the cop jumped on him and pulled them over as I drove by at 30. Most of the time I get gawkers and smiles. A few challenges but it's not worth the time ticket or damage to my car.

No matter what you drive... an a hole in a Tesla is going let you know how much of a c*** s***** they are.

lol

All my cars are old.
The 4x4 dodge no one really fks with..for obvious reasons 'size'.
The volvo wagon.. it brings out all the "I'm better than you" types.
Newer volvos seem to think they should be in front..as if it's a commercial depicting the evolution of the Volvo... or that they realize their newer ford made volvo is a pos and ours is like their old one they traded in passing them at 90 with its thumb at its nose..."neener neener stupid"... idk
As for the valiant... they mostly dont know what it is.. or how fast it may be.. so they test it... always ending up left behind so fast that even when I slow down at the next light... they won't pull up next to me and drag ***..or get behind me.

I have 2 speeds I drive...
'Cruise' and 'fk u'

No matter what you drive... an a hole in a Tesla is going let you know how much of a c*** s***** they are.

lol

All my cars are old.
The 4x4 dodge no one really fks with..for obvious reasons 'size'.
The volvo wagon.. it brings out all the "I'm better than you" types.
Newer volvos seem to think they should be in front..as if it's a commercial depicting the evolution of the Volvo... or that they realize their newer ford made volvo is a pos and ours is like their old one they traded in passing them at 90 with its thumb at its nose..."neener neener stupid"... idk
As for the valiant... they mostly dont know what it is.. or how fast it may be.. so they test it... always ending up left behind so fast that even when I slow down at the next light... they won't pull up next to me and drag ***..or get behind me.

I have 2 speeds I drive...
'Cruise' and 'fk u'
You beat their car and stole their woman. lol
They lag behind because they're embarrassed and know their old lady is smiling remembering her day's driving around with her old boyfriend in an old car that looked like yours. lol
You ever notice the smile on the lady's face in the minivan with her boring old man behind the wheel.

I try to drive reasonably in the city with my Barracuda. However I guess I'm not driving fast enough for the guys with minivans and ricers and fartcanners. lol. They go flying around me, sometimes tailing me first. The guys with the newer Mustangs and Chargers make as much noise as possible revving to be noticed too. Anybody else notice this?
Ha ha what is it about Honda's that make them get next to me and rev up their aftermarket muffler ha ha

Ha ha what is it about Honda's that make them get next to me and rev up their aftermarket muffler ha ha

I'm not sure what they're thinking but a noisy muffler doesn't make them faster. lol. That said my daily driver is a four cylinder and I'd be embarrassed to put a fartcan muffler on it.

Many times while in my modified duster at a light some vehicle will pull next to me, even pick-ups and ricers, and start revving their crap. I usually pay no mind. If it’s one of those two door fords with the Shetland Pony on it, then I’ll let them leave the light first and then slow back down after I shift into second, so they can catch back up. Most of the late model Mopar guys seem to like the old Mopars. Objects in the mirror are losing.

I'm not sure what they're thinking but a noisy muffler doesn't make them faster. lol. That said my daily driver is a four cylinder and I'd be embarrassed to put a fartcan muffler on it.

my daily driver is a boring family hauler, so no fun there but my wifes is a police charger
basically an R/T with AWD...yeah, that on can get me in trouble

I am older (nearly 60). So I have seen a lot of this. Even as far back as high school I recall the types that suddenly have blinders on when they pull up next to you. I had a 1970 GTX 440+6 four speed with 4.10 Dana 60 back then. I could watch the camaro or stang guys pointing and talking about it while I saw them pulling up in the rearview mirror, then once they got next to me they would stare straight ahead. Like I was invisible. They could NOT just be car guys & let me know that they admired it. Heck no. Sheezzz. Worse than that then later you would hear some story about them saying that they beat you in some race (that never even happened). Those people still walk among us. They are just older now, but still the same.

Now I still have my Dart, 408 with exhaust dumps, and on slicks (for the street). It only attracts smiles. Its loud & dumb. And I also have a Tesla Plaid that does 9.1 in the 1/4 @ 155. EVERY "playah" fears it. None of the modern muscle guys will get near it. Mopar, Ford, GM, GTR, whatever. No one will challenge. Its lonely driving it. I still get plenty of guys who will spin their tires, or rev their engines... But only when going the other direction. I also have a Grand National. That car gets all the waves, and "ok" signals from them all. But still no takers (and its not even that fast).

For as long as I care to remember there has always been these types. Those who wont acknowledge you (jealous?), or those who talk a big game but have none (all hat & no cattle?). Generally Mopar guys simply don't fit in those categories though.

I burn 110 in my RR, and very seldom do I ever have anybody tailgate me. Most people stay back a couple car lengths, I’m sure to get a good whiff of that beautiful smell. My Mom loves the smell of racing fuel, so I burn it for her.

I’ve also been challenged a few times by the new HO crowd. Not long ago I was leaving a cruise in Hell and a newer Mustang and an ‘06 GTO boyfriend and girlfriend left just ahead of me. I could tell by their spirited driving that they were going to hit it, and when they did, so did I. Try as they might, they couldn’t outrun my old 6bbl iron. When we got up to my turnoff, I pulled up into the left turn lane next to them, the girl waved, they guy gave me the thumbs up…..all was right in the Mopar world again!

I am older (nearly 60). So I have seen a lot of this. Even as far back as high school I recall the types that suddenly have blinders on when they pull up next to you. I had a 1970 GTX 440+6 four speed with 4.10 Dana 60 back then. I could watch the camaro or stang guys pointing and talking about it while I saw them pulling up in the rearview mirror, then once they got next to me they would stare straight ahead. Like I was invisible. They could NOT just be car guys & let me know that they admired it. Heck no. Sheezzz. Worse than that then later you would hear some story about them saying that they beat you in some race (that never even happened). Those people still walk among us. They are just older now, but still the same.

Now I still have my Dart, 408 with exhaust dumps, and on slicks (for the street). It only attracts smiles. Its loud & dumb. And I also have a Tesla Plaid that does 9.1 in the 1/4 @ 155. EVERY "playah" fears it. None of the modern muscle guys will get near it. Mopar, Ford, GM, GTR, whatever. No one will challenge. Its lonely driving it. I still get plenty of guys who will spin their tires, or rev their engines... But only when going the other direction. I also have a Grand National. That car gets all the waves, and "ok" signals from them all. But still no takers (and its not even that fast).

For as long as I care to remember there has always been these types. Those who wont acknowledge you (jealous?), or those who talk a big game but have none (all hat & no cattle?). Generally Mopar guys simply don't fit in those categories though.
I am 66 in June sporting a 416 340 H code duster. I saw a lot in high school with lots of guys putting in cams and manifolds and headers and racing on Wingville road. Like you say, the guys would not even look you in the eye or race, but then you would hear the stories on Monday. And these kids today just want to be loud and be seen. And what’s the deal with about 20 degrees of negative camber?

Back in 1985 I drove my 65 Dart GT. Its 273 was 0.030 over, 340 cam, ported head with 360 valves and fenderwell headers, 4 speed with 3.91 SG. It was quick for its day. Hazing the bologna's was easy. I was on a 3 lane road in Augusta GA when two 5.0 Rustang's split me, one on each side. Light turned green and they hammered it as I kind of gave it enough gas to to spin the tires but short shifted it till the stangs were in front and then hammered it in 2nd, banged 3rd as I was at their doors and shifted to 4th and backed off. Next light they came up and when the light turned green they moised off the line with their tails between their legs.

My 360 in my 78 LRT was not stock, 292 Hyd cam, ported heads, 10.2: CR. My son had replaced the rusted Hemi mufflers with Flowmasters so the sound out the stacks was LOUD. Was at a light in downtown Seattle when a Ford Lightning pulled up. He reved the engine so I just raised the RMP's up to 1,500 RPM as the light turned green. I was the first to stop at the next light.

Same LRT. Going thru a long tunnel at 65 MPH when 6 Harleys came ripping up so I just backed off a little. As they came next to me they were doing that Harley thing of reving the engine so I just punched the LRT, it downshifted and all that noise from the stacks reverberated off the tunnel ceiling. Could not hear their "LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES". It had to be close to 125 dB.

Now then, the 1984 Shelby Charger brought out all the Ricers.

Last edited:
My 05' Cummins (stock) short bed is not a "PIG", up to 70 MPH. Yours being a Dually and 8' bed may slow it down a tad.
Actually "Pig" is not the best definition. Beast is better. It has some get up and go. Not the best on top end. Mine is the 6.7l with a 6 speed manual. Someday I will learn to trust modern automatics in trucks. My gooseneck 32' race trailer weighs a max 16k lbs fully loaded. I just haven't trusted the autos to pull that much weight for an extended period. I know data shows my lack of trust as being misguided. But sometimes old school prejudices are hard to shake.

I had a lot of problems like this when I drove my SRT-4. It's like at every red light, people were staging next to me!.....plus doing the loudass pass/cutoff thing, barely missing my front end. THEN....if I blew them away from the green light, and I considered the race over, they'd have to pass me at 110 mph or whatever.

Some of these people need some "couch time", as in therapy.

I burn 110 in my RR, and very seldom do I ever have anybody tailgate me. Most people stay back a couple car lengths, I’m sure to get a good whiff of that beautiful smell. My Mom loves the smell of racing fuel, so I burn it for her.

I’ve also been challenged a few times by the new HO crowd. Not long ago I was leaving a cruise in Hell and a newer Mustang and an ‘06 GTO boyfriend and girlfriend left just ahead of me. I could tell by their spirited driving that they were going to hit it, and when they did, so did I. Try as they might, they couldn’t outrun my old 6bbl iron. When we got up to my turnoff, I pulled up into the left turn lane next to them, the girl waved, they guy gave me the thumbs up…..all was right in the Mopar world again!
It's not just the Big Blocks that gives these "Hot Dogs" a run they wish they didn't have. I have beat 5.0's and Corvettes that have challenged my little 69' 340 4-speed Swinger. Never seen a "Thumbs Up" after the run, just both hands on the steering wheel, looking forward. All of them had a girl friend or buddy in the cars, so the story lives on. Also being GM and Fords offer more after market items for their use, and Mopars have only a handful, I believe we are better and smarter drivers that come into play. Like the old saying goes, it's not how big it is, it's how you use it.

Somehow I don't get hassled much around where I live when I drive my Duster. Plenty of other cars out there that are quicker off the line due to my 2.94 gears but my 360 has the torque to haul them down, unless it's a "legit" performance car. I think the idle from the cam and Powerstick mufflers scares most wannabes. It's different on the freeway though especially once I'm closer to Denver. All the d-bags in their terrible-sounding Subarus and Audis try to pass me like they're hot **** but they fail to realize their cars a geared super short to overcome the massive drivetrain losses of the AWD so I just put my foot down and it pulls, and pulls, and pulls... I think I calculated my Duster's top speed to be around 150 and I'd believe it, it'll hit 110 like a normal car will get up to 60.

On the other hand when I drive my Buick everyone assumes I'm a slow grandpa which I don't blame them for as it is a grandpa car but they tend to not notice the small "SUPERCHARGED" badge on the trunk... everyone tries to pass and cut me off like I'm a slug but I put my foot in it and snap forward, "Sorry maybe next time!" LOL. Even stock it went pretty well but I've put an aftermarket 3" downpipe and resonator on it plus other mods to cool the engine better so it can handle more timing/boost (180-degree t-stat, colder plugs, gutted air box). Haven't dropped to a smaller blower pulley yet due to gas prices but I have messed with the timing quite a bit and firmed up the shifts, it really hauls for being a 22-year-old ~4000-lb FWD car with 155k miles.

I find driving in my D200 to be the most chill, I figure because it's big enough for everyone in their closet-homo lifted trucks and modern SUVs with terrible visibility to see. Has a nice stance to it too with the 33" tires. That reminds me, everyone drives lifted trucks around here and thinks they are somehow fast, really weird. And they're almost always insufferable douches.

I love it when the Bozos rev em up at the stop light, I'll look at them and get on the convertor, when the light turns green I'll just roll out like granpa, they take off like bat out of hell. Seen a couple get pulled over. It's a good laugh! I got stopped racing a long time ago and the cop asked me what year my Dart was and what it had in it, I told him and showed him, he said he had a Dart awhile back and liked mine, he let me go with a friendly warning. It could have been way worse, so I try not to be to stupid. I'm not going to loose my car because of some Dumb *** who thinks he's faster than me!

It's not just the Big Blocks that gives these "Hot Dogs" a run they wish they didn't have. I have beat 5.0's and Corvettes that have challenged my little 69' 340 4-speed Swinger. Never seen a "Thumbs Up" after the run, just both hands on the steering wheel, looking forward. All of them had a girl friend or buddy in the cars, so the story lives on. Also being GM and Fords offer more after market items for their use, and Mopars have only a handful, I believe we are better and smarter drivers that come into play. Like the old saying goes, it's not how big it is, it's how you use it.

oh, don’t get me wrong, Mon Frer, I’m a big lover of small block power. I just happen to be driving the RR a lot more lately, and it needs 110 gas to run right. Plus, as stated, my mom loves the smell of racing gas, must be our racing upbringing. Heck, we all love the smell around here, it’s like our perfume!

Not really with the Duster other than people who cut in front of you trying to cross the highways, which they do to anyone, motorcycles, trucks, it doesn't matter as that precious few seconds they think they are saving is apparently worth more than their lives here in Myrtle Beach. Now when I drive the 2006 Daytona I sometimes get a few who seem to want to race but those days are in the past for me. I did enough as a teenager.

-
Back