Dog Flea and Tick meds

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Frontline, Advantix, heartguard and other flea and tick medicine for dogs. Any recommendations? Stuff to stay away from? Need to start treating my 4 doxies as it seems like the ticks are starting to get bad.

Attachments

• air cleaner 004.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 139
I use frontline and bathe them in Zodiac flea & tic shampoo.

Here is the Vet Tech GF...

Heartgard Plus to protect against heartworm, roundworm, and hookworms- In AZ the number of heartworm postitive dogs is on the rise and since it is a painful thing to treat it is highly recommended to use a preventitive. Most good veterinarians require anual heartworm tests to make sure all your dogs are negative before starting, because if they are posititive and you give it they could go into anaphylactic shock, which could be deadly especially to small dogs. Interceptor is also a good product.

For ticks I'm not sure what kind are in your area you would have to talk to your vet when you go in for the heartgard and HWT. Any prescription preventatives are usually safe, some breeds are more sensitive than others, but as long as your dogs are healthy before application Advantix and Frontline are usually good (don't buy from Walmart OTC because who knows what kind of shipping/storage systems they use, these are prescription drugs and need to be kept at a certain temp)

I know vets are expensive but it really is in the best interest of your pets. Hope this helps!:thumleft:

Expensive -0h yea! We had the black dapple in a couple of weeks ago for shots, worm testing etc. - $170. Had the big male and minature red female in today for everything - $290. Still gotta get the other big red female in next month - bet that'll be another $170-200.

Expensive -0h yea! We had the black dapple in a couple of weeks ago for shots, worm testing etc. - $170. Had the big male and minature red female in today for everything - $290. Still gotta get the other big red female in next month - bet that'll be another $170-200.

She Said that your doing very good for your pets... they need the check ups to keep them healthy...

and she also Added thats Pretty CHEAP!

Moms poodle had a very bad allergic reaction to a flea and tick skin drop. It can happen.
It can kill too.
Moms only mistake was changing brands to save a few coins.
What ever you use the first time, watch the animal for anything odd. If there isn't a problem, stay with that product.

She Said that your doing very good for your pets... they need the check ups to keep them healthy...

and she also Added thats Pretty CHEAP!

And that's not even counting the teeth cleaning. Irregardless, they are our babies!

Moms poodle had a very bad allergic reaction to a flea and tick skin drop. It can happen.
It can kill too.
Moms only mistake was changing brands to save a few coins.
What ever you use the first time, watch the animal for anything odd. If there isn't a problem, stay with that product.
X2
I applied Advantix formula from my vet on my dog 6 months ago and it was a new formula with mosquito repellant and My dog Reaux got really sick and I washed off with dawn that strips the oil off the skin, advice I got off the internet on problems with the new formula.
I always used Advantix in the past without problems.It took him 3 days to get over it...He is 14yrs old and half Australian Sheperd/ half pointer...

Been using brewer yeast and garlic in his diet and it has worked so far,will tell you if it works when summer get here...
Martin

I use the Walmart pet armor, (it's the same amount and type as advantix)I also use heartguard preventative. pet armor seems to work just as well as advantix. I also use flea and tick ground cover grains that I get from the feed store to control them on the property.
Frontline almost killed one of our pugs, we had to take him to the vet even after we washed him down with dawn dish soap 2 or 3 times to clear him up.
He stayed 2 day at the vet. won't be using frontline again.

you can also give them a garlic pill. just start off with small doses like maybe half of the pill or a qtr of it. fleas and ticks dont like the taste of garlic. kinda odd bloodsuckers dont like garlic. and if they have any skin issues dry skin or what ever use fish oil pills they help my dobe with his flakyness

I can't understand it but my choc lab has never had fleas or ticks in the five yrs I have owned him. He stays outside 24/7

I can't understand it but my choc lab has never had fleas or ticks in the five yrs I have owned him. He stays outside 24/7

Well, there goes that!

Only one dog, but several cats.

We tried the pet armor, but it didn't seem to work as well as what we used prior to that (which I can't remember).
Might have been a bad batch, though. That happens. Shame it's 20/30/50 bucks to find out.

Last time we got the much cheaper Hartz Gold (with IGR), and it seems to be working just fine.

We also have this IGR (Insect growth Regulator) spray called Archer. It works by preventing the insects from maturing beyond the larval stage. Pretty sneaky. Doesn't kill anything, and takes 30+ days to work, DOES work if used regularly in conjuction with quality insecticides.

My animals don't get fleas until my ex wife comes to visit...

Not sure yet if they are coming off of her or her dog...

Here's one of my buddies, he's smiling, not growling (his forehead isn't wrinkled).

View attachment 015_crop.jpg

If you got cats you going to have fleas. I don't have cats and not any in my neighborhood. Boss and I was talking about it not long ago. He was wondering why my dog doesnt have flea and tick problems. I asked if he has cats and he told me he did then mentioned that his dog didnt have fleas until his daughter brought a cat home. He has it so bad with fleas that he is calling a exterminator in to have at it. The fleas are in his yard every where. The exterminator said that the flea problem is going to be the worst its ever been. He said that he is getting a new poison that should be delivered in a couple days and he has to do some research on it because he has never used it. Said it was pretty dangerous stuff and didnt want to kill anything else but the fleas. lol

Interestingly, it's the dog that brings the fleas in to our cats.

Hard to live in FL without some kind of bug somewhere.

Interestingly, it's the dog that brings the fleas in to our cats.

Hard to live in FL without some kind of bug somewhere.

Oh I'm sure the dog does at a cat lover's house.....it's not going to ever be the cats.........so sir...never

"What is the difference between Dog fleas and Cat Fleas?

Although one is called a dog flea and one is called a cat flea you won't be able to tell the difference without the aid of a microscope.

The most common flea found on dogs and cats is the cat flea.
It is a misconception that dogs only have dog fleas and cats only have cat fleas.
It has been reported that 95% of fleas found on dogs are cat fleas

Dog fleas are rarely found in the United States. "

However a flea is a flea.....it's going to get on any type of mammal IMHO

I will take some pictures tomorrow of what I do here on the hill in Arkansas and have been for many years... No tick's on my 2 best friends :cheers: but my neighbors dogs do..
My Boxer is outside 90% of the time and in a controlled area that I keep treated
Dear, Squirrels and mice have flea's .... I will be back tomorrow :clock:

We use comfortis.

It's the only thing that ever worked on our dogs fleas.

It's an ingestible pill available from the vet and it works good, may not be suitable for smaller dogs as some dogs get sick from it, ours did not but she's a big dog.

The pill lasts up to one month, costs $15.00 a pop.

Check with your vet, you should be very happy with this product especially if you tried them all.

We actually watched the fleas that infested our dog fall of of her, dead within a half hour.

http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/about-comfortis/default.aspx

-
Back