Dog question

-

Rob

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question but I'm not very dog saavy, I love dogs but for one reason or another I've never had one. Some of you who know me might know that we have a cabin in the woods, and the local dogs are free to roam at will. Never a problem with that, it's great actually, we get dog visitors all the time. This time the Blue Healer we call "Digger" picked up a ball that had been sitting around for years and dropped it in front of my wife. So now we cut to the chase, how much is too much? Even though I've never had a dog I do know they can chase a ball all day "in theory", but she's bullet fast and panting like mad after a bit. So, when is enough, enough? Do you throw it for 15 minutes and make sure there's a good recovery time? Also she should be in the Majors, she can one hop a ball better than Jeter on his best day ever :D

DSC04134.jpg

heelers are working dogs. They will go a lot longer than you would think. I have an aussie (half heeler and half dingo) and she has no off switch. When she is tired, she lays down. I wouldnt worry about it

I've had dogs all my life and never worried about too much fetch. the dog will stop or get a drink if it needs to...i'd put a bowl of water out but other than that, the dog will be fine. they have a much higher energy level than humans...she'll just sleep good that night :)

Bring back memories of my Australian Shepherd Tina,she would chase that ball for ever.
At the lake,I would throw the ball in and she swim to get it repeatedly.Just use your judgement,I did when I threw it in the lake because I truly believe she would have tried to retrieve it when she could no longer swim from exhaustion...
Blue healers and Australian Shepherds are very similar dogs,full of energy and always eager to play.
Dogs do not sweat and pant to cool down.Throw the ball 10-15 intervals and let Blue cool down before starting again.Have some water handy for Blue to drink.
Blue will probably wear out your arm before you wear out Blue.
Blue is one good looking friend you made!!!
TXDart

If you where down here in the south I would say keep your eye on her in the heat because they can overheat and die from a heat stroke... But I don't think you have to worry about that in your neck of the woods...

I had a female dauschaund that would play with her ball all day long if she could. I'd try and roll it by her - no way - then she'd push it back with her nose. I'd get tired of it before she ever would.

heelers are working dogs. They will go a lot longer than you would think. I have an aussie (half heeler and half dingo) and she has no off switch. When she is tired, she lays down. I wouldnt worry about it

I know a bit about Heelers, like Border Collies, smart as hell and full of energy. She did lay down for a bit, but not too long.

I've had dogs all my life and never worried about too much fetch. the dog will stop or get a drink if it needs to...i'd put a bowl of water out but other than that, the dog will be fine. they have a much higher energy level than humans...she'll just sleep good that night :)

We had a pail of water out, always do, for the dogs and whatever wildlife comes by. She drank from it, and oddly dropper the ball in it for just a rinse several times without actually drinking.

Bring back memories of my Australian Shepherd Tina,she would chase that ball for ever.
At the lake,I would throw the ball in and she swim to get it repeatedly.Just use your judgement,I did when I threw it in the lake because I truly believe she would have tried to retrieve it when she could no longer swim from exhaustion...
Blue healers and Australian Shepherds are very similar dogs,full of energy and always eager to play.
Dogs do not sweat and pant to cool down.Throw the ball 10-15 intervals and let Blue cool down before starting again.Have some water handy for Blue to drink.
Blue will probably wear out your arm before you wear out Blue.
Blue is one good looking friend you made!!!
TXDart

I like your advise to pace it, I was getting nervous so I stopped and made her rest, she was loving it to the point of being poccessed. From a car perspective she's like a 10 second dog I swear, you throw the ball and 4 feet of gravel flies

If you where down here in the south I would say keep your eye on her in the heat because they can overheat and die from a heat stroke... But I don't think you have to worry about that in your neck of the woods...

You're right about that, still only in the mid 60's at the peak of the day for now.

Thanks all for your help

I had a female dauschaund that would play with her ball all day long if she could. I'd try and roll it by her - no way - then she'd push it back with her nose. I'd get tired of it before she ever would.

Funny that you say that, similar thing, she would drop the ball, but it's me running out of gas ( while sitting in a lawn chair, brewsky in hand , yeah I'm not half the man I used to be :D ) and then pick it up and move it closer. It was really amazing because she's been a regular for a good year and the ball has alawys been there and no interest until now.

from an Aussie dog breeder here.
Blue Healers or Australian Cattle dogs are bred to work all day herding cattle and driving them when the herd needs moving. Not unusual to do 30 miles without stopping. The heat really won't affect them - they can take 100 degree plus days in the Outback of Australia no worries.

If she gets hot or thirsty she will actually stop and take a drink / rest - in the postion you have in the photo - for a few minutes. Honestly you will be very very unlikely to tire her out from throwing a ball - she sees this as work and they absolutely love it.

You've got water out - that's all you need worry about. She drops the ball in it to cool it down and get rid of the saliva on it as well - they're bloody smart. Have fun and don't worry about the Cattle dog she'll know when to stop.

Rob I say Play Play And play some more my Fox terrier seemed to just live to play ball. I use to worry a lot about over working her but Im sure I never did because I could see The joy/happiness in her eyes.

from an Aussie dog breeder here.
Blue Healers or Australian Cattle dogs are bred to work all day herding cattle and driving them when the herd needs moving. Not unusual to do 30 miles without stopping. The heat really won't affect them - they can take 100 degree plus days in the Outback of Australia no worries.

If she gets hot or thirsty she will actually stop and take a drink / rest - in the postion you have in the photo - for a few minutes. Honestly you will be very very unlikely to tire her out from throwing a ball - she sees this as work and they absolutely love it.

You've got water out - that's all you need worry about. She drops the ball in it to cool it down and get rid of the saliva on it as well - they're bloody smart. Have fun and don't worry about the Cattle dog she'll know when to stop.

Thanks for reassuring me, I do know they're herding dogs but there's a big difference between herding speed and what she's doing chasing that ball at light speed. She's a great dog, don't want to kill her because I'm not smart enough to know better.

Rob I say Play Play And play some more my Fox terrier seemed to just live to play ball. I use to worry a lot about over working her but Im sure I never did because I could see The joy/happiness in her eyes.

It's just odd that this ball has been there for about 8 years, since we first started building the cabin, a couple dogs came through and one dropped it. Since then we've thrown it for the odd dog that came through but no interest. When we threw it for the big Lab Wilbur that comes by regularly he just looked at us with his big sad eyes, "look at the size of me, do I look like I jog?" :grin:

Like everyone said, as long as there's water and it's not blazing hot, Mr. Cattle Dog will keep going and rest when he's tired. Cool looking dog too.

Some dogs love to play ball, others.... not so much, lol.

I know nothing about the breed of dog in question, but I know my dog would die if I played fetch as much as he wanted. I have to cut him off after about ten minutes of heavy play. He's an English Bulldog.

we have an eight year old cattle dog that loves to play frisbee all the time, and like has been said, she rests when she gets tired and a few minutes later, she's right backc at it. Congrats on one of the finest breeds I've ever owned

I threw sticks for Lola for 45 minutes straight,no breaks. My arm will fall off before that dog gets tired.

Jake will go for about 30 minutes at top speed then when he's tired he stops chasing it, just that simple. After 5 minutes and a couple drinks he's ready to go again. Jakes an addict, he even sleeps with his tennis ball. Last week at the lake he had a great time chasing the hearts out of the park owners 2 labs, he was running circles around them deaking and head and shoulder fakes, it was funnier than hell. The labs finally just laid down and panted their brains out.

Attachments

• P1010002 - Copy.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 102
My dog can play forever also. He is pit/lab/border collie. We play till I am tired. Good looking blue healer.

Attachments

• 2010-09-11_16-26-19_217.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 99
Thanks for all the replys and reassurance guys :thumbup: I've had friends with dogs when I was younger and know they can go on forever chasing a ball, or so it seemed, but I've never had one that goes flat out the whole time. Last thing I want to do is kill the neighbours dog, I'm sure I've already raised her cholesterol a ton spoiling her with leftovers :eek:ops:

I threw sticks for Lola for 45 minutes straight,no breaks. My arm will fall off before that dog gets tired.

I should tell the whole tale. It was a nice warm day so I took her to the river and started by throwing them 3-4 ft in. The dog had never swam nor been in water so I gradualy extended the range until she walked out and lost her footing!
She popped back up, sneezed and swam for the stick. There was a moment when I thought she had gone too far into the river and dangerously close to the strong currents out there. She powered her way back and it's funny to see as her neck/up is well out of the water. Even her front shoulders are clear! All I could think was no wonder I have such troubles holding her to my side. Very powerfull dog for all of 65 lb's.

-
Back