Dome light issues

-

Rustie

Reaction score
1974 dodge. My dome light works perfectly if I remove the lens cover and unscrew the bulb assembly from the roof of the truck, but when it is screwed in (grounded) it stays on. The assembly has 2 wires, the door switches have 1 wire. The only bulb I have is a 2 filament bulb. Its not a huge deal but it would be cool if it worked correctly.

Any ideas are appreciated for sure. Thanks.

I think it's getting power thru the door switch full time(bad door switch), and grounding it completes the circuit?

I think it's getting power thru the door switch full time(bad door switch), and grounding it completes the circuit?

I wondered that but they work as they should when the socket isn't screwed in and grounded.... Door switches operate dome light as expected, as does the courtesy switch on light switch. I will order new ones as these have some rust.

The bulb socket is shorted

Do you think maybe its the wires in the kick plate or the actual socket? The socket does have a easy to reach disconnect plug for the wires. I will look at that, I did notice when I unplug the disconnect on the bulb socket and hook the 2 wires up one at a time...one does absolutely nothing and the other gives constant power when grounded to the roof.

Usually the ground is shorted to the socket. The switch at the doors grounds the one pole on the bulb. So if the bulb is off and you ground the socket and it lights you must have the ground side of the bulb making ground.

Did you all know that constant power to the dome is the reason they discontinued the so called 71 vent pipe in the trunk. There was a bulletin on that pipe in mid 71. But no recalls were ever done. Fire starter. The CIP pipe

Usually the ground is shorted to the socket. The switch at the doors grounds the one pole on the bulb. So if the bulb is off and you ground the socket and it lights you must have the ground side of the bulb making ground.

Did you all know that constant power to the dome is the reason they discontinued the so called 71 vent pipe in the trunk. There was a bulletin on that pipe in mid 71. But no recalls were ever done. Fire starter. The CIP pipe

I'll start with replacing the socket and see where that gets me, I'll probably order new door switches as well. Thank you!!

I wondered that but they work as they should when the socket isn't screwed in and grounded.... Door switches operate dome light as expected, as does the courtesy switch on light switch. I will order new ones as these have some rust.

Because like @Oldmanmopar said the power to the dome light is constant. The bulb is turned on and off by applying or removing the ground, through the courtesy circuit in the HL switch or the door switches. One wire is for the pwr, one is for the grnd. On cars (don't know about trucks) right at the light they're both black. Further down stream they're usually yellow and pink.

Yes, it is supposed to be.
Yes but two contacts. Supposedly a 1004 bulb.
CEC1004-2.jpg

One wire is hot and the other is grounded at the door switch. 4spdragtop is correct, one of your door switches is grounding all the time, one of your doors is not closing all the way to break the circuit. One door at a time, open it and depress the switch manually. When you find it, you can back it out a little or you can extend the inner part by pulling it.

One wire is hot and the other is grounded at the door switch. 4spdragtop is correct, one of your door switches is grounding all the time, one of your doors is not closing all the way to break the circuit. One door at a time, open it and depress the switch manually. When you find it, you can back it out a little or you can extend the inner part by pulling it.
Why does it "work perfectly" when he unscrews the bulb socket from the body? OP's words.

YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB

YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB YOU HAVE THE WRONG BULB
So what are you insinuating? LMFAO

A two FILAMENT bulb like an 1157 or 1034 does not work the same as a 1004. On a 1004 there is one filament between the two bulb contacts and the shell is unconnected

On a tail/ stop lamp there are two filaments. They are both connected to the shell at one end, and each is connected to one bottom contact. A single filament such as a backup lamp has one contact, and one filament, to the bulb shell

YOU HAVE the WRONG BULB!!! LOLOL

The bulb socket is shorted
I think I see whats wrong, I started looking for a new one (ordered one from eBay) and I noticed the new ones I saw all had the fiber washer and mine does not have one. I figure it must have been brittle and broke when the previous owner had it. I will try a gasket and see if that works. Heres a pic of what i have...
20200105_120822.jpg

Yes I know but it should still work properly on one of the filaments. I think it's missing the fiber gasket.

A two FILAMENT bulb like an 1157 or 1034 does not work the same as a 1004. On a 1004 there is one filament between the two bulb contacts and the shell is unconnected

On a tail/ stop lamp there are two filaments. They are both connected to the shell at one end, and each is connected to one bottom contact. A single filament such as a backup lamp has one contact, and one filament, to the bulb shell

YOU HAVE the WRONG BULB!!! LOLOL

To the parts store I go!!!

Yes I know but it should still work properly on one of the filaments. I think it's missing the fiber gasket.

Nope. The 1004 filament is connected to the two base connections, with no connection to the shell. That is the key. Whatever you have in there is (incorrectly) grounding through the shell

Nope. The 1004 filament is connected to the two base connections, with no connection to the shell. That is the key. Whatever you have in there is (incorrectly) grounding through the shell

I figured it is because of the missing fiber gasket that holds the wires and spring from touching the shell and grounding it. See my pic a few posts up, there is no insulator in the socket. One of these but with 2 wire holes...

20200105_133153.jpg

I'll check the one shed I believe I have a couple of the whole assembly. It would be like $10 shipped in a small flat rate box If interested

I'll check the one shed I believe I have a couple of the whole assembly. It would be like $10 shipped in a small flat rate box If interested

That would be great but I just ordered one off if eBay last night. Thank you though, I absolutely appreciate that.

Well, I cut a piece of rubber to act as a gasket between the springs and the contacts to hold them from touching the socket housing...that didn't do it. Then after looking everywhere in town that was open today I finally found a 1004 bulb and guess what????

You nailed it!!! Thank you very much and thanks to everyone for your help, you guys are great. This was the last thing on the old girl I had to get working. I also salvaged a couple door switches and other parts from the '75 Minnie Winnie that are in great shape.

-
Back