Dome light stays on all the time

-
Delay relay is circular about 3/4" dia or so and ? 1 1/2" tall, looks more like a small flasher

s-l300.jpg

I don't know how it would affect the dome lights, tho

Told you. I don't they they affect the dome. I believe all the delay relay does is hold on the ignition key lock lamp

.............This is out of the '72 book. I will send you the bill for the time it took me to find it. WHY is it not out of a 74 book? Because there isn't one free online. WHY isn't it out of the 73 book? Because "they" changed the wiring diagrams layout in 73 and things are much more difficult to understand via the diagram.. Anyhow ignore the "key buzzer" at the top

timerelay.jpg

Last edited:
Those are not "factory" and there is LOTS of details......options.....and connectors left out, which is why ......in this case.......I didn't mention them.

Those ARE very useful sometimes, as they are sometimes easier to follow

Anyone know, how does the delay relay work and how does the relay affect the dome light staying on,
Assuming it does affect the dome light the relay could be internally shorted or contacts welded together and that could provide the short to ground keeping the dome light on.
The diagram I posted of a 74 valiant (post # 17) shows a pink wire going to the dome light. It comes from the fuse block. It provides the 12V to the bulb, the yellow wires all provide the ground when a switch plunger comes out ( ie the door is opened) or when the dimmer is rotated clockwise till it clicks, the diagram does not show the function of the "Accessory Conn & Time Delay"

HeadLight on warning buzzer? Look on the dash frame behind the glove box.

The ingnition delay relay is likely not an issue but could be. Usually located around the steering column left of the ash tray. The yellow could be shorted to ground anywhere along its path.

I moved on from this problem for a while, I did get my headlights fixed.
I ordered some new door switches got a funny feeling it’s the headlight switch.
I think I’m just going to have the car rewired

I moved on from this problem for a while, I did get my headlights fixed.
I ordered some new door switches got a funny feeling it’s the headlight switch.
I think I’m just going to have the car rewired

Some headlight switches have a ground tab near where the yellow dome wire connects. If you accidently hooked the yellow there, it will be "on" at all times

-
Back