Dome light trouble shooting

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
I bought a Duster as some know this weekend. It's a solid little car, just doing some TLC. The dome light doesn't work. Im running through the basics. Checked fuses, bulb, etc. I'm not very wiring educated, though I can read a diagram somewhat. I'm sitting here looking at a 73 Valiant diagram though it's a Duster. Should be similar right? Anyway, looking at the right side of this diagram I see the dome light. What is that junction "box" where the tai lights and all come from? Where is it located? Secondly, what powers this? I'm confused as I do not see a power source? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 143
What model year is your car?

You can download service manuals over at MyMopar. Several of 'em came from the guys on here. If you have a map light that can complicate things.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

The dome / courtesy lamp system uses non grounded bulbs. That is, the bulbs get continuous power on one terminal, and are powered on by a switched ground. Each door switch grounds the yellow wiring to activate the lamp(s). Also a yellow goes up to the light switch, which also grounds the yellow when the dimmer knob is twisted all to the left.

My experience is that power for the dome light comes off the trunk wire that contains lights in the rear of the car and the fuel gauge sending unit. IIRC, power comes up the drivers' side C pillar to the fixture. The headlight switch can be used to turn the dome light on, but not off if a door is open.

What is that junction "box" where the tai lights and all come from? Where is it located? Secondly, what powers this? I'm confused as I do not see a power source? Thanks!!!

I can't see the diagram you posted. Too small. You might be seeing the kick panel connector for the harness where the tail harness and the instrument panel harness connect

Most of my dome light issues over the years with different cars have been the door jamb switches. Disconnect the battery, take them out and clean up the contact area on the backside. I would do this first before getting involved in the wiring.

The "hot" line is always hot to the dome light. The circuit completes by connecting ground. Either thru the door switches or the headlight switch, turning the knob.

-
Back