Don Garlits Museum, RPDE fun

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just been working a lot and just got back from vacation cruise.

Before we left this time we did RPDE at Daytona again, 167mph this time, 20 laps, the instructor kept looking over and adjusting the cars power, since I had done it before I was going full out, I think he was trying to keep me under 170mph.

We went to Don Garlits museum in Ocala too. That place is incredible, all the cars we watched race growing up are there, Connie's Bounty Hunter, Jungle Jims car, The Blue Max, Snake and Mongoose cars, all the Swamp Rats, The Sidewinder and the Wynns Liner, Shirleys 1982 car and the Last Pass car.

He has a 300 or so classic car museum, I didn't know he was into Fords too, He has a Granatelli Dodge with a Paxton supercharger on it, and other stuff.

He has a Engine room with a ton of stuff, Smokey Yunick tuned stuff, more blown Hemis I have ever seen in one place and 2 SOHC 427s, One in a case and the other in one of Katillas Bounty Hunters. Flatheads everywhere and a whole wall of flat head intake set ups. And in one corner a ton of intakes induction stuff.

We stayed in Daytona Beach, only a few blocks from where Smokey Yunick's shop was, but there is nothing left of it.

here are some pics, full album on the link
IMG_9356_zps41fdc13b.jpg

IMG_9347_zps2a581ab5.jpg

IMG_9331_zps6bce89b5.jpg

IMG_9295_zpscb79901e.jpg

IMG_9193_zpsdf5459f4.jpg

Your statement here cracked me up..."Hey everyone, just been working a lot and just got back from vacation cruise" Sounds like me, hard working at doing fun stuff? LMAO! And yes the driver instructors at Daytona and Sebring Florida do try and keep you under certain speeds as per their liability insurance restricts them lol! Garlits Place hasn't changed much but is still a cool place to visit. Been there too many times already so its become boring to us, but we love the cars people drive to the museum.

Thought it was cool that his driveway is 1/4 mile long and judging by the tire marks out at the end by the road, he has fun on it from time to time. T. C. Lemons was manning the desk when I was there. You never know who you'll meet if you decide to stop by...

I love that place. I can't count how many times we've stopped there.

They also have a pretty good MoPar meet there each year.

Was there in early '90's right after Hurricane Andrew hit Fla. Went to Fla to help out my girlfriend's
sister and brother in law. Big Dad's museum was the coolest place I had ever seen, and it's supposed
to be much better now. My girlfriend wasn't really much interested in cars, but she let me hang out
there for 2-3 hrs. I hope to see it again someday.

-
Back