Dont know which way to go

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
Ok,since Ive aquired my 72 Duster,Im undecided as to how to fix it up.
Part of me wants to turn it back to original or a minor restore(Paint it the same factory color,rebuild the slant 6,etc)Part of me also wants to do a complete restore(full on restore)as in take it completely apart and restore it completely and I also want to do it up complete street machine with a v8 swap.But I look at the cost of a all of this and the work also to convert to V8.I'm also finding the parts where Im at(Colorado) nearly hard to find.Maybe a little advice maybe?Well,whichever direction I go,Ill keep everyone posted.I was also thinking of just finding a Duster with a v8 already in it,but no luck in that around here(theres ebay,but I dont want to pay 4000 for a overpriced basketcase)
Picture022.jpg

It'll cost a lot more to restore than find one already done with a V8. If it were me I would find one, even one on eBay. I bought my Demon there and you just have to be careful and patient, maybe even consider buying a cheap ticket and looking at it in person. Another option is to have someone you trust from the forum that lives nearby check it out for you.

Well I dont know how long you've had it or if it runs today. I would suggest make it drive. Tinker with it and take your time. The V8, disc brakes etc.. will come to you in time. So many guys have taken cars apart without having resources to put it back together again. End up trying to sell a truckload of car.
I waited 12 years for one piece of trim. A guy calls from 40 minutes away and says ,"come get it and you can have it."
Spray some rust reformer of whatever on the top too. Good luck

I believe Red is right. Get it on the road any regardless of the current shape and do it as you go. These cars were made to drive! You can only take so much sitting and looking at it in your garage and waiting for that perfect day. Good luck!

I would take on the project in steps. I plan to build my 71 Dart over the next few years with still being able to drive it during the good weather months of Indiana. My goal this winter is to rebuild the rearend, engine, and front brakes before next spring! once this is done I will begin saving my money and collecting the material needed for a body restore! My third winter project will be the interior!

The way I figure is to get the car in good running order first. I can also still enjoy driving it next summer and when time to restore the body it should only take a good day to remove the new parts to prepare for the next winter project!

I like your idea for the V8! My car was an orig /6 converted to a V8 using the 73-76 K-member & Disk brakes!

Picture 059.jpg

as long as it runs drive it while you can and work on it as you go, i have a few cars and they are all apart, its no fun, i want to get out there and have fun but now that they are apart im broke, and it kills me to see them sit.I am going to sell my Cougar to finance the Duster and 442

Yeah,the car does run it needs the carburator rebuilt it wouldnt take much to get it on the road.I work in a body shop so painting would not be a problem.The car is actually in awesome shape,the seats are not torn at all,the dash of course is shot and it also came with the original owners manual and warranty info.Everything works on it,the lights,wipers,etc.And It took me forever to find a Duster so Im sure I will keep it.Ill just hunt around for a good parts car,maybe a old beat up Scamp with a V8 and all the parts I need to get me rolling.thanks everyone

-
Back