Dont loan out your tools

-
How about a neighbor that wants to borrow a tool, but wants me to bring it over to his house. And it doesn't come back till I go to get it.

It is not your responsibility. You did not loan the tool to the Creep, you loaned it to your "buddy". It is his responsibility to return the tool you loaned him. $150 is cheap to find out your "buddy" is just using you and is a thief. Treat him accordingly. As for you going to the Creeps house, you should never put yourself or anyone else at risk. It is never worth it. Safety first, always.

I`m lucky , my best friends are full blown mechanics , if I need a tool they will loan it to me , I make dam sure I get it back to them before they open the shop the next morning, unless they tell me not to worry about it .
I even have two that have brought tools out to double check my work . Of course , I take care of their plumbing problems free -

Always run into people in the local Pick n Pull needing to borrow a tool.
Last time I lent one it was a 15mm wrench to someone and his friend while pulling parts out of a car.
When I was done I went looking for buddy to retrieve my wrench.
Spent 30 minutes looking for him-finally found and his friend underneath a car and my wrench was laying on the ground beside them. From that point on I never ever lend one out. And I make a point of telling them why.

That being said I seem to always find tools in the yard. Screwdrivers, hammers, prybars, sockets, folding knife, even a $20 bill stashed in a tail light.

I hate using other people's stuff. I have an acquaintance that will let me use his paint booth. If we were long time bud I might would use it, maybe. OK so it is homemade updraft, warm here in S E Tx, I spray outside and when I get something in my paint, I just say, "OKkkkkk".
The step son is 28, has 2 ag degree, he borrows stuff and never brings it back. Eve expets mom and me to drive the 70 mi round trip to take stuff to him!!!
He was not raised "harsh"..
He worked himself thru college and 2 degrees, at a small engine shop, He knows tools and what is right. He makes enough to buy all his stuff anyway. RETURN stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I rather loan than borrow, but few people I will loan any tool to.

If someone comes to my shop to borrow a tool. I give them my card.
EB85B5B3-E206-46CA-A9D1-8A463413909A.jpeg

Last thing I loaned out was my car trailer, to a guy I have been friends with since teenagers. It came back with the front axle looking like a horse shoe! I asked him what he hit, and he acted all offended. Now, nobody borrows anything.

I have friends that I would loan them almost anything and I have others I would not lend a paper cup to, it just depends what type of person they are and if they are responsible and respectful of other people.

Back in the late 80's I bought a Eastwood stitch welder to weld in panel's before I finally got a mig, I had 3 different friends that would borrow it and after a while I forgot who got it last. I asked each of them if they had it and never found out which one never returned it. After that I started keeping a list in my toolbox if I loaned something out. Even then I'd have to chase down a tool when I needed it,so I just quit loaning speciality tools out. I've lost alot of tools like that over the year's that I've had to replace and now I'm going to keep a hold on them.

Also posted on facebook:

Never lend your tools out !!!!!!

I had a "buddy" who needed to borrow a cam bearing tool. So I loaned it like an idiot and turns out he didn't need it for himself but his buddy who I don't know and needed it for a mustang of some sort.

So he takes my cam bearing tool and leaves it at his buddies place in a shady part of town, who is the one who actually needed it. He never brought it back, so 2 months later I go to get it back and my former "buddy" says he doesn't have it and told where his buddy lives who used it and told me that I have to go get it myself.

So I go to this other guy's house who has it who I don't know.
I tell him that it is mine and my "buddy" told me to come get it.

The guy who used it tells me to "F%c^ off, BiT&%" .....so I get the door slammed n my face and my cam bearing tool is long gone.

Luckily it was a cheap Chinkese tool that I found at a pawn shop a few years ago for cheap because I had to weld the end and it was missing some parts when I got it. So it could have been worse.

So to not let dumb things get me down .......I got over it and ordered a new Lisle 18000

Its in the mail but when it gets here, I am never lending it or any other tool out ever again. (I am going to get hostile if anyone asks) This is a much better tool anyways so remember, turn those lemons in life into sweet lemonade and buy nice tools, and don't forget to NEVER lend them out.

Mopar or no car Brothers and Sisters

View attachment 1715049596
Similar story, dude moved 3 states away.
Now I had to take my block in to get it done meanwhile I'm buying the same one to replace it. People, they are mentally fucked up creatures, most.

I loaned my new cherry picker and engine stand to a friend 2 years ago -he stills has them. Never again for him.

I bought a backhoe last year and I gave the second key to my neighbor. I told him to take it anytime he needs it. I know that should anything happen to it, he’ll either fix it (he has the skills) or pay to have it fixed.

Loaned my chainsaw to my little brother. He filled the gas tank with bar oil and denied it. Even a flush and refill didn’t fixed it. I had to have a shop pull it apart and clean out all the gunk so it would run again.

I just go to my coworkers apartment, and fix his stuff with him there, and if I leave anything, he gives it back to me as soon as he remembers. Ifni can do the job needed, I'll help you fix it, that's the new policy I have if someone needs a tool.

I have just the right amount of friends now that I have loaned tools out and they never came back and neither did the so called friends. I have even told them if I have to come get borrowed tools back, they can never borrow anything again. Kim

I loaned a chain saw to guy at work. He come to work next day with a big bandage on one leg and says he "should sue me"!!!! hahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahh
I said go ahead, and see how many days you live. I had little patience in my younger days for BS.

I agree in spirit but in reality, I do extend the courtesy to the people that I trust.
In construction, not every guy has every tool. Sure, everyone has a Skilsaw and a nail gun but from there it gets murky. Drills, drill bits, electric impact tools, pipe clamps, air and electrical adapters, etc are not in everyone's toolbox.
I share with co-workers because I know every one of them.
MY personal thought is that you should NOT borrow a tool unless you have the money to replace it IF you lose or break it. You should also return it immediately AFTER you are done with it.
Car tools:
I have loaned out only a few of them but again, only to people that I trust and know that they could replace them if need be.
I once loaned a lawn mower to a neighbor. It was silently returned when I was in the house. It had thrown a rod or something because the pull cable just spun the crank way easier than ever and it would not start. The jerk would not answer the door to explain either.

I heard grandpa-in-law say something one day. Somebody had borrowed a tool and later, pah asked, "you done with that tool"?
The guy answered, "yes, but, I haven't had time to bring it back".
To which pah replied,"you had time to come borrow it, you can find time to bring it back".

I spent half a lifetime accumulating tools so I have the convenience of having it when I need it, not a neighbor.

I have one friend I will loan a tool to as he always returns it promptly and clean. Plus he rarely ever asks.

Neighbors? Nope, I tell them that program ended from the last neighbor who forgot he had a socket set of mine and I had to track it down. Borrow a brass tumbler? Nope, buy one. Need a drill bit, here are some HF bits.

My brother in law had a habit of sneaking away with my chainsaw stored in my Dad's garage. I had to drive over and pick it up with a dull *** chain and missing wrench. Took it to AZ with me. He is still a cheapskate.

Definitely not loaning anything with a blade that will be dull when returned. 2 stroke anything...NOPE!

I need a drink now thinking about people who beg, borrow or steal because they are too cheap or lazy to buy one.

People who have old cars should have tools. Period. End of story. If I ever need something and I don't have it, I buy it. The only exceptions are very expensive items such as things I hire out done. For anything I do myself, I make the tool purchase. If someone wants to borrow something of mine, they can, but they have to stay right here in my shop and use it.

I got a brother in law, I can not stand

a few years ago, I had gone taken the family for a few weeks over the winter
I come back and my snow thrower was missing
(missing as in, someone took it without permission)
I finally found it in her parents' garage
then, when I needed it, I went to pull the starter, to find the rope had broken and he didn't bother to tell me

been probably 5 years or more and im still annoyed by it

People who have old cars should have tools. Period. End of story. If I ever need something and I don't have it, I buy it. The only exceptions are very expensive items such as things I hire out done. For anything I do myself, I make the tool purchase. If someone wants to borrow something of mine, they can, but they have to stay right here in my shop and use it.
Yep. I rarely let tools go off my property and when they do, I go with them...and I come home with them. A few times of me hovering over them while they use the borrowed tool and then taking it home with me seems to always discourage them from asking again.

Funny that. :D

I once saw a cartoon with a picture of a guy holding a wrench. It said this is my rarest tool, it is one I lent out and got back!

Wow you guys did a number on kicking up a very old thread but the moral still holds true.

I have been asked about lending out my trailer a few times in the last couple summers. Of course it was NO. LOL

Wow you guys did a number on kicking up a very old thread but the moral still holds true.

I have been asked about lending out my trailer a few times in the last couple summers. Of course it was NO. LOL
My brother bought a car trailer and his buddies kept him so busy hauling stuff he sold it. Now we have another one we keep hid out, my dad bought it and we fixed it up to our liking, it stays at his place. I have a good friend with a towing service and I usually just hire his rollback to move my stuff.

-
Back