Dont loan out your tools

-
The guy who used it tells me to "F%c^ off, BiT&%" .....so I get the door slammed n my face and my cam bearing tool is long gone.

Well I'm not surprised a mustang guy would do this. It sounds like you need a couple buddies to go over and give him the impression that if you do not get your tool back. He will be lucky to drive the car again. He's a thief. And a thief will always be a thief until someone stops him. People like that only learn the hard way. As for your buddy you originally loaned it to. Persona non gratis. And make sure everyone knows his part in the thievery.

As for myself. I only ever ask to borrow tools when I absolutely need to. And I do the job that night (or as quickly as possible) and return said tools in same or better condition. For example if I needed to borrow say someones grease gun (I don't but just an example) I would return the gun and give them a fresh tube of lube. Or if I borrowed a grinder and used up a disc. I would return said grinder with at least one disc of the same type and quality. Probably more.

In fact. My friends have straight up given me tools when I've asked to borrow them before, simply because they have duplicates or don't need it anymore. Just last week my buddy gave me his head trimmer. He had cut down the only bush he used it on. And no longer needed it. He knew that even if he gave it to me it would be well taken care of. His only stipulation was that he be able to borrow it if needed in the future. I am a-ok with that deal.

Brings up a good point. I quit smoking 3 1/2 years ago. But when I did, It always amazed me me some stranger would ask to borrow a cigarette?
I would always reply, how in the hell are you gonna return it?
I just say no, you support your habit and I'll support mine.
They even call you names for that, but whatever.:D

Downtown here you get asked for a cigarette constantly. I don't smoke, haven't since I was about 13, and so I simply say "Sorry, don't smoke". It is amazing how many people don't believe you. Or call you names or something. Simply because you choose not to smoke. Like somehow it's your fault their dumbass can't even afford a smoke.

I think that the person that received the tool (and then "loaned" it to someone else) should get the bill for the replacement.
Just hand them the bill and say here's the bill you owe me XX dollars.
Of course they will never pay it but you can always bring it up that they were irresponsible. It might be something others need to know about this person.

The one positive part to come out of loaning a tool and never getting it back is like me loaning my brother in law $600.00 then another $250.00 almost 30 years ago for him to get a fresh start in Virginia,which I never got a dime back from him is, Surely they will never ask to borrow a tool or borrow money ever again! Worked in my case.

I hate loaning out tools but thankfully I don't have many people who need to use them! I have borrowed tools from one of the local shops, but specialty tools I'm not going to buy for one use. I always take better care of them than my own and drop off a 6 pack for the guys when I'm done.

I borrowed my buddies chassis tool set and bashed the torsion bar bracket a little bit. I had it over the winter and got my own set. I gave him the new one and kept the beat up one. Didn't need to, but I figured he gave me a good one so I gave him back a good one. I worked in a shop years ago and learned tools are meant to be treated with respect and so is the person letting g me use them, always cleaned them off right away and put everything back where it went.

i almost forgot to address the bigger issue here
any guy who will borrow a tool from anyone, but especially a lady, and not only refuses to bring it back but expects said lady to go retrieve said tool from a third party to whom he had no business lending the aforementioned tool in the first place is not someone you wish to associate with

yes, exactly....that kinda surprised me when he said I had to go get it myself if I want it back.

I had to hide a ton of fear approaching an unknown house and asking a guy I don't know to give my stuff back. I don't really think he took me serious.

How am I going to argue or intimidate a guy who has probably a foot and a half and about 100 pounds on me.

I somewhat regret not trying to take a better stand but I am not sure it would have been worth 150. bucks

Besides What would Jesus do ....he will get his someday, I am blessed that I can afford to get on fleabay and buy a new one anyways.

I just started the thread to remind the fabo family this happens so be careful. At the end of the day, it's just material items that wont mean much when you are hanging out with Mr. Jesus Sir. IMO It's just shame it has to be like this

It would be a rare (and extremely rare) occasion that I loan anything out. I am stacked and ready to handle most life projects and plan on keeping it that way.

People in general do not care about other peoples stuff...... That's my take on it anyways. What I figured out about 10 years ago is loaning tools and helping people can be a recipe for disaster. If I loan you a tool it's because we have a history of knowing each other and I know your DNA well enough that it will be taken care of......

The funniest one was someone borrowing my floats for a concrete pad. It was a battle to finish but he found out real quick that those DYI's on youtube aint alwas what they are made out to be lol....

JW

I will loan out my tools to my friends as I have some times needed to borrow tools from them. I have always had them returned, and I have always treated my friends, and their tools with respect.

This is a hobby for me - have I charged people for some work I have done for them? yeppers. But I dabble because I enjoy it. Loan my tools? For the most part, no. I'm lucky that I live far enough away from most of my friends that it's actually inconvenient for them to come to me to get anything like that to have to then go home, do the repair and then have to bring the tool(s) all the way back to me (they ALL know my "policy" on un-returned tools... :D) If someone is in need that badly that they do call and ask for something - I typically will go to them with whatever it is and help with said repair, once finished, I then leave with tool(s) I brought. Loan issue solved.

Last edited:
I will loan out my tools to my friends as I have some times needed to borrow tools from them. I have always had them returned, and I have always treated my friends, and their tools with respect.

^^^^^
This

And to the OP you need to choose better friends.
Or if you have them you should have taken one of them with you.
I thought you had a cousin that works on cars that used to post here.
Couldn't he have gone with you.
Why not get a bunch of your female friends that you have posted about in the past who's cars you work on and go pound on this guy's door in mass.
Just a thought.

This

Also posted on facebook:

Never lend your tools out !!!!!!

I had a "buddy" who needed to borrow a cam bearing tool. So I loaned it like an idiot and turns out he didn't need it for himself but his buddy who I don't know and needed it for a mustang of some sort.

So he takes my cam bearing tool and leaves it at his buddies place in a shady part of town, who is the one who actually needed it. He never brought it back, so 2 months later I go to get it back and my former "buddy" says he doesn't have it and told where his buddy lives who used it and told me that I have to go get it myself.

So I go to this other guy's house who has it who I don't know.
I tell him that it is mine and my "buddy" told me to come get it.

The guy who used it tells me to "F%c^ off, BiT&%" .....so I get the door slammed n my face and my cam bearing tool is long gone.

Luckily it was a cheap Chinkese tool that I found at a pawn shop a few years ago for cheap because I had to weld the end and it was missing some parts when I got it. So it could have been worse.

So to not let dumb things get me down .......I got over it and ordered a new Lisle 18000

Its in the mail but when it gets here, I am never lending it or any other tool out ever again. (I am going to get hostile if anyone asks) This is a much better tool anyways so remember, turn those lemons in life into sweet lemonade and buy nice tools, and don't forget to NEVER lend them out.

Mopar or no car Brothers and Sisters

View attachment 1715049596
I saw that, on Facebook Rani/ Rainy..... I loaned out SEVERAL timing lights..(3 or 4...) " never heard back, when asked... Picked up a Mac dial back timing light, back in '98.... A technician " buddy "...., borrowed it , for six months.....(sigh....) . I chewed , him out.. (He is 6'4" .., 260 plus...) .., his wife starts complaining, about me wanting " tools back".. I chewed her out, with a closed end response... "Pay your bills, you can make due...." I got, my timing light back..... Broke the magnet, in the pickup, TOOL MAN MIKE, sent me, a spare!!!!!! THANK. YOU TOOLMAN MIKE! ...Sorry ,Rani... Tools become personal, when you use them,...often....

20170512_125051.jpg

My friend had a solar system installed at his house by his electrical subcontractor (he was the company owner). They used the company's Ditch Witch to go across his long yard to the remote solar panel location. I happened to visit him while this was going on and I mentioned to his friend how handy that Ditch Witch was and that I would probably rent one to dig a 300 foot trench in my yard in about 6 months. Well, this business owner told me to take his Ditch Witch when they finished the solar panel job and return it in 6 months or whenever I was finished with it. I dug the trench last week (see the photo above). Then I thought how great it was for that business owner friend of a friend to trust me that much with his valuable equipment, and I recalled my father telling me 50 years ago to always return borrowed items in as-good if not better condition, so I figured I had to do this. The starting battery was dead even before I borrowed the machine and the electrician's crew always started it with a hand rope. So I bought a new battery and installed it on the machine. Then I washed the machine and adjusted the chain tension. I also made a new hand pull-rope with wooden handle for it. I made arrangements to return it on this coming Monday and will treat both my friend and my new friend to lunch as a small way to thank them both.

I just made a new friend! The only reason this man trusted me was because he knew my friend was very selective in whom he called "friend". I don't have many friends myself because I too am very selective in calling someone my friend. The people you choose to call "friends" reveal a lot about your own values and standards. If you choose to be friends with bad people, then maybe you are a bad person too. Sometimes you won't really know that a person was bad (wolf in sheep's clothing?) until later, but I choose to not call them "friend" until I feel I know their character first. The new friend in my story above is now in "trial" status, but he made a great start!

Lent a buddy my 6 month old power washer so he could clean his boat bottom. He sells industrial parts for a living and HIS stuff is meticulously maintained. He picked it up and brought it back 2 weeks later as agreed upon. No issues there. Few weeks later I go to use it, fill it with gas and find a cracked in the fuel tank at the mid way point. Ask him about it and he says it fell over in the back of the van on his way home with it but nothing was wrong with it. He is no longer on my charity tool list.

I do have one friend that I will loan tools to and I'm the only person he loans tools to.

Another buddy had a 9.9 evenrude and no boat to put it on. I had a 14 ft aluminum boat and no motor for it. He offered to loan it to me until one day he ever needed it back. I had it for 4 years. He wouldnt let me buy it from him.He borrowed it back for 2 weeks twice. When he was ready to regain permanent possesion, I put new plugs in it and ran it in a barrel for him at my request. After all, I caught a lot of crabs with that motor. It's the least I could do for him.

Yes ,I am... I don't respond much,.... tools are expensive, and replacement...( whateve,r you're answer is.....tool owners , and Rani ..too....)
cool enough ...if you see me on Facebook I will add you. But I only do posts about cars and cats, that's it....I am pretty boring

I just made a new friend! The only reason this man trusted me was because he knew my friend was very selective in whom he called "friend". I don't have many friends myself because I too am very selective in calling someone my friend. The people you choose to call "friends" reveal a lot about your own values and standards.

Yes, very well said.

I tell people that asking me to borrow my tools is like asking me to borrow my wife. Then I look them in the eye and ask them if they'd like to think about repeating that request while I go get my gun...
I would probably loan a wife before a tool. If you dont get her back you can get a new one with less miles.

Heard a preacher say not too long ago "choose your friends wisely, for they will choose your destiny"

All of my work tools get out into the system at work, and if anything happens to them, it's because they are being used in the commission of work!! Occasionally, a neighbor will ask to borrow my hobby tools, and I always let them, even tho one is a GM guy!!! My other neighbor is a retired plant manager and constantly "loans" me tools, only to never want them back because he is retired, has 3 of everything, and all of his stuff is meticulously maintained! I bought some slabs of lumber from him last week for a donation project, when he dropped them off he also brought me this!!!

IMG_3632.JPG

There is a VERY short list of people I will loan tools out to. VERY SHORT list.

My nephew was taking HVAC classes. I asked him were his tool list was. He handed it to me, I review the list, and say, "Get your money and we'll go down to the tool store so you can get some things old for yourself."

Now, being a very dumb fraker of 21 YO, he (LMAO!) says, "I thought I'd just borrow your tools." When I told him no he asks what is the big deal?

I said when you pay for your own tools with your own hard earned money, you'll understand and even more so when you get them back from others that borrowed them IF you get them back. Get your own and keep them. They'll be yours, not borrowed.

From here, Smokindust and Fast01 can stop by anytime for what ever the need, though there tool collection makes mine look like the "Builder Bob toy set." But there mighty welcome anytime. Them some true good fellas!

-
Back