Door alignment/sagging

-

remytherat

Reaction score
My driver's side door sags about 3/8" where it meets the body in the back. To open it from the outside I have to lift up the door significantly to get the latch to open. Door opens fine from the inside.
Any ideas as to what is broken/worn out? Maybe just out of adjustment?

Are the hinges sloppy? Can you move the end of the door up and down easily with the door open?

Open the door to where it is just past the body and lift up. If you get a large amount of movement then you need new door hinges. They are available from AMD.
If it doesn’t move then it’s an adjustment problem. Either way though check the latch where it hits striker. I have one car that the jamb was broken out because the hinges stayed bad to long.

Are the hinges sloppy? Can you move the end of the door up and down easily with the door open?
hinges are not sloppy at all.

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

I would just open the door half way, with my fingers linked and under the bottom of the door and lift/bend it up. Sounds crude but there is a body shop tool that mimics this by hooking in the latch and pivoting off the striker

Classic sign of worn out hinges. Do what @AbodyBB said try lifting the far end of the door at various positions. I'd bet you'll find when the door is almost closed, you find a lot of up/down play.

There is member here that rebuilds hinges, I forgot his name. Maybe another member will recall his name.

@MoparLeo may have some advice here. He rebuilds hinges for members at a very reasonable rate.

@MoparLeo may have some advice here. He rebuilds hinges for members at a very reasonable rate.
they are apiece of cake to do yourself , all it takes is a kit off ebay ,and drill the pin hole out to fit the hair bigger pin size ,(small angle drill) and press / squeeze / the bigger pin in , hardest part is rehanging by yourself , I did it ...I squeezed the new pin in with a huge pair of channel locks , had the door setting on a padded jack stand to control the heigth , was a ***** to keep it straight up / "need another set of hands ."

You need to find and fix the problem asap. The sheet metal cracks around the striker posts far too often on the old Chrysler products. They door should not rest/ride/bounce on that post.

if hinges are in fact good the door needs to be adjusted at the hinges plus the striker moves up and down you need to get those body lines aligned and if its that far out the striker wont get it all out the hinges shouldn't be that far out unless they were removed from the car as in unbolted from the a pillar...look at the door gap at the front fender is it closer at the bottom than top?

Here is some info on A-body hinge adjustments and my service.
Pm if you want more info.
Thanks
Leo

A B LWER HINGE REBUILT 1.jpg

HINGE REBUILD PARTS.jpg

Attachments

• abody1hinge.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
  • abody2hinge.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • DOOR-HINGE-REBUILD-PROCEDURE 2022.pdf
    198.4 KB · Views: 53