door handle stopped working yesterday

-

sleestak

Reaction score
so i can no longer open the door from the outside(drivers side) i can however open from the inside! i have taken off the panel and i see a rod which pushes a plate, which then releases the spindle allowing it to open! when i push the button in, it doesn't push the plate far enough to disengage the spindle, it looks like maybe there was a washer or somethingg on the rod to push rthe plate in further??? anyone know how to solve this? thanks
dave

If you can't bend any of the handle latch parts, then put a "shim" under where it rides to take up the slop. Find a way to secure it. You are not getting enough travel out of the button transferred to the latch to open it...

With all the screwing around trying to get it to work you might be better of getting another one.
Outside of that krazykuda has the best soloution (shim it till it works)

I had the same problem with my Duster but mine won't open because the plastic clips that hold the rod in place broke.

So if I read this correctly, pushing the button does move the rod just not quite far enough.
If that's the case there is adjustment. Find a small hole in the end of the door. Allen hex key through there to loosen set screw adjust linkage retighten.
This shouldn't have happened suddenly though. You would have been pushing the button pretty deep to get the latch to release for a long while before it went inop'.
Does the button stick in the pushed position?

screw it remove the handle all together and invest in one of these bad boys
car-door-lock-fixed.jpg

you are going to have to remove the door panel....usually the plastic clips break...and the linkage falls apart....

you can buy a pack of clips...there are rights and lefts...color coded...

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-DOOR-LOCK-ROD-CLIPS-70s-MOPAR-A-B-C-E-BODY-CUDA-GTX-CHARGER-DART-ETC-5853S-/311028015576?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ADart&hash=item486ab6e1d8&vxp=mtr"]4 Door Lock Rod Clips 70 039 s Mopar A B C E Body Cuda GTX Charger Dart etc 5853s | eBay[/ame]

so i took the handle off, and the pot metal inside assembly plate was broken in half! i have made a temporary fix! where can i find a replacement part? as far as right now, the door opens again!!!!

Hmmm, If the latch was so difficult to operate that the release mechanism broke, I would be looking at the latch post. If it is well worn, door hinges are the root of the problem.
There are similar handles on vans and trucks so a parts yard might have one.

-
Back