Door hinge pin removal tips?

-

H22A4

Does anyone read this?
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on how to coax the pins out of the hinges? I tried hammering them out from the bottom up but they are not budging...

upper hinge.jpg

lower hinge.jpg

Use either a carbid cutter or a grinding disc to cut the pin in half and then remove the two halfs,and then install the new pin from the bottom,mrmopartech

Ok, lots of heat did the trick.... the bottom pin came out quite easily after heat and hammering it up. The top one took a lot more heat and a lot more hammering compared to the bottom pin.

Next question is the bushings. The top hinge has two bushings that I'll replace with new ones but the bottom hinge has no bushings. The pin/hinge bushing kit comes with two bushings per hinge.... should I drill the holes in the bottom hinge larger so bushings will fit or just do what the factory did and only have bushings in the top hinge?

I think the kit is for many different body styles, some of which have bushings top and bottom. I just used the pin as they did from the factory.

If you drill them out they have to be perfect....use a mic and calipers to get the correct drill size...it will me one of those weird ones ABCDEFG drill bits....not sure what they are called......I have them if you need to Barrow....Just make sure you PM ME

I've got this chore on my list on a car setting in the shop. I'm going to paint the car but want all this stuff done first so i dont scratch the hell out of it. Thanks guys.
Small Block

If you drill them out they have to be perfect....use a mic and calipers to get the correct drill size...it will me one of those weird ones ABCDEFG drill bits....not sure what they are called......I have them if you need to Barrow....Just make sure you PM ME

The "ABCD..." drills are "letter drills." I believe machinists use them to get near to a hole size requiring reaming or for interference fits. They are kinda' like "tweeners." Check out a tap & drill chart (I still have an old one from a Grumman vendor many moons ago) and you will see number drills, fraction drills, and letter drills.

The "ABCD..." drills are "letter drills." I believe machinists use them to get near to a hole size requiring reaming or for interference fits. They are kinda' like "tweeners." Check out a tap & drill chart (I still have an old one from a Grumman vendor many moons ago) and you will see number drills, fraction drills, and letter drills.

Thanks ...I have had them for awhile.....they work good

The drill size might be 31/64. The repair bushings should be larger than OEM, meaning the upper hindge holes will need drilled also.
A flange on the bushing serves as a thrust washer as much as keeping the bushing in place. The lower hindge will need a little clearence cutting. If the flange is 1/16 thick you have 1/32 to remove at 4 surfaces. Yes all the material could be removed from 1 or 2 surfaces. I'm a stickler for details.
Hope this helps

-
Back