Door Striker Plate Replacement

-

swisswill

Reaction score
Anybody ever replaced the door striker plate? I'm getting ready to put quarters on my car and upon inspection, I can see light through the welds around the striker plate from behind. I would also like to see pics of other striker plates if anyone has them. I have a feeling the ones on my car were repaired at one time, and not done well either. Any info and/or pics on this is appreciated. Thanks.

swisswill,

I read something in a recent issue of Mopar Muscle about some new replacement panels/posts. I'm pretty sure they had something for a-bodys. I believe they were also a Michigan company IIRC. Maybe contact Mopar Muscle?

You don't happen to recall which issue that was? AMD has that panel on their site but it is "out-of-stock" so it's either still in development or actually in production, just not in. I'll have to call them too. Unfortunately those are $200 a pop.

There wasn't much of a striker plate there originally. There was a sheet metal box spot welded inside to capture a square block with a threaded hole for the striker post. Door alignment caused the failure there. I dont know of a pretty way to fix it from the outside but you can do about anything on the inside since you can get to the inside.

i had same problem 68 dart piece broke out i don't know what year they started 74 duster had a plate on back side so i drilled spot welds that hold the holder in for nut and put my pc that broke out so i could line up hole for door post welded in plate from 74 duster took my pce that broke out ground it down 1/16 smaller than hole welded back never know it was broken also put passenger side in before i had problem much stronger

I found their website shortly after my last post, I also found the article on Mopar Muscle's website and will be going through that today as well. I need to call and get a couple of those coming. Here is what I'm dealing with:

Now I need to get back to teaching myself to weld so I can put on these quarters and fix this pillar.

IMG_5247.jpg

I found their website shortly after my last post, I also found the article on Mopar Muscle's website and will be going through that today as well. I need to call and get a couple of those coming. Here is what I'm dealing with:

Now I need to get back to teaching myself to weld so I can put on these quarters and fix this pillar.

IMG_5247.jpg

Ouch get that welded up, i had to do this on my cuda but i dont think i have any photos
mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

My 68 has the same issue, it was pretty common with the first years of this body style. The 73 up cars had a stronger striker plate area. There was an additional thicker plate between the door jam and the threaded plate.

The DR patches are great, but if you have a 73 up parts car available, you can get the parts needed from it and save the $130.

I have a set of 73 door jams that I picked up to repair mine and I may only need the striker plate hardware so I may not be using the actual door jam sheet metal. Unfortunately, I won't know for sure until the end of January or February when I get the time to work on them.

-
Back