Doris Day '69 Ragtop

-
Its also quite possible that Chrysler Corp. retained ownership during the time the car was used for the show. It may have merely been loaned to the studio for promotional consideration (vehicles provided by Chrysler Corporation appears in the closing credits of many television shows of that era). When it was replaced with a 70 Barracuda the following season, the 69 would have been sold off to it's first actual owner who may have never known the history of the car.
It would also have been more likely that the car would have been leased by the studio rather than the studio itself owning and then selling the car within a year.

If that is a California black plate that matches the car and television show I would assume the California DMV could provide some help. The car more than likely would have been registered to a studio at that time and is used in the opening sequence in the show and appears to be San Francisco.
Yeah, tried CA DMV, real PITA. I think I might be able to get somewhere if I was there in person, but they won't give me anything over the phone. I'll keep trying, next step might be request by mail, but everyone is real touchy about personal info nowadays. Just found some info on the dealership and PR outfit that provided the Chryslers to the shows...fingers crossed.

Its also quite possible that Chrysler Corp. retained ownership during the time the car was used for the show. It may have merely been loaned to the studio for promotional consideration (vehicles provided by Chrysler Corporation appears in the closing credits of many television shows of that era). When it was replaced with a 70 Barracuda the following season, the 69 would have been sold off to it's first actual owner who may have never known the history of the car.
It would also have been more likely that the car would have been leased by the studio rather than the studio itself owning and then selling the car within a year.
I've seen those credits and was wondering the same. Was directed through the Doris Day Club facebook page to a Hemmings article on 72 Charger with a similar TV history. Checking into Glendale Dodge, who prepped the cars used, and Herman Hadler PR, who handles Chrysler's product placement in TV and movies. Also made contact with Chrysler and with Hamtramck historical club. Progress...maybe

If you have the fender tag, what is the VON (6 digits above the VIN)

If you have a matching broadcast sheet for it, what are the Y codes at top right?
Hey, Alaskan...any further thoughts on the order number? From what I've been able to find, looks like the 719 indicate something other than an ordinary order. Thanks

Doris Day....the eternal virgin.

Actually her son, Terry Melcher, was a member of the Rip Chords of Hey Little Cobra Fame.

They were backed by the Wrecking Crew with Glen Campbell playing lead guitar on there first hit Here I Stand.

Last edited:
I hate it when an issue is resolved, but the loop is never closed on the forum, so here we go...

Through significant effort and a lot of good fortune, I now know the entire life history of this car with the exception of details from the 6 years between '98 and '04. I know was that after leaving television it was with one family in Vegas from '70 to '98, was sold and taken back to Los Angeles from '98 to '04, was sold and taken to Chicago from '04 to '12, and basically to me in SC from there. Fortunately it's only been with a few owners, has been well cared for, and has spent most of its life in a nice, dry place. Thanks to all for the research ideas!

I hate it when an issue is resolved, but the loop is never closed on the forum, so here we go...

Through significant effort and a lot of good fortune, I now know the entire life history of this car with the exception of details from the 6 years between '98 and '04. I know was that after leaving television it was with one family in Vegas from '70 to '98, was sold and taken back to Los Angeles from '98 to '04, was sold and taken to Chicago from '04 to '12, and basically to me in SC from there. Fortunately it's only been with a few owners, has been well cared for, and has spent most of its life in a nice, dry place. Thanks to all for the research ideas!

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you now know the car's history. I do have one question though. What did you find out about the ownership of the car during it's time on TV? Was it loaned by Chrysler Corp? Was it leased by Chrysler to the studio? Was it owned by the studio? Was it loaned or leased through Glendale Dodge? (Okay, yes, I know I worded it as more than one question.) Just curious, as the answer could provide clues for the next car that turns up with a similar television history.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you now know the car's history. I do have one question though. What did you find out about the ownership of the car during it's time on TV? Was it loaned by Chrysler Corp? Was it leased by Chrysler to the studio? Was it owned by the studio? Was it loaned or leased through Glendale Dodge? (Okay, yes, I know I worded it as more than one question.) Just curious, as the answer could provide clues for the next car that turns up with a similar television history.

My knowledge now consists mainly of who owned it and where it was, but I'm still lacking some details.

After the time on the show, the car was purchased from Barish Chrysler Plymouth Dodge in LA. The only pieces of documentation with it related to the show were the plates, and a mention of the show by the salesman.

Based on the sales ad from '04, I believe more documentation was gathered in the period between '98 and '04, and I'm still working to track that down through the widow of the guy who had it in Chicago after '04. I'll probably never know for sure unless I take a road trip to Chicago and help clean her clean out her garage.

I'm pretty sure the car was "contracted" to the studio by Chrysler through the Herman Hadler PR Group, who are still in existence handling Mopar TV placement, but aren't able to help much with records going back that far. I'll post if I get anything further.

Profile pic is the car. Not much worried about proving anything to anyone.
I didn’t mean you had to prove it. I have been following this because it was interesting I thought it would be neat to see what the car looks like now. I can’t see that tiny little profile picture on my phone. From here it looks like a mustang.:poke::poke::poke:theae things mean just poking fun.

I find the history of individual cars fascinating. I would like to see more pics as well.

All good...I'm not big on taking pictures, but here are a few...

IMG_20190718_183029102.jpg

IMG_20190718_183004131.jpg

IMG_20190718_182943092.jpg

IMG_20190718_182923969.jpg

Power brakes.

not a terribly common option on a gen 2 A body

...and AC in a convertible, again not too common on a A body

I don't want to burst your bubble, but most all the black plates were used up with the 1968 model year cars. All the 69's seem to have the Blue and Gold plates.
You might just have a Hollywood prop license plate.

Very nice my daughter is a Doris Day fan I showed her your car and and the history, she loved it. Thank you for sharing your cars story.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but most all the black plates were used up with the 1968 model year cars. All the 69's seem to have the Blue and Gold plates.
You might just have a Hollywood prop license plate.
Maybe so, bit it's got the 69/70 CA registration stickers on either corner, is verified as having come with the car when it sold in 70, and matches the plate in the shots from the show. I'll need to look at it again to verify the color scheme.

Maybe so, bit it's got the 69/70 CA registration stickers on either corner, is verified as having come with the car when it sold in 70, and matches the plate in the shots from the show. I'll need to look at it again to verify the color scheme.

Wow! Thats cool. I would not have expected them to use real tag numbers on the car in the show. Now people hold their thumb over a camera lens so their tag number doesn't show up in a photo on line. I guess that wasn't considered a security risk 50 years ago. You are very lucky indeed that the tags were kept with the car through the various owners around the country.

Part of being a studio car, I think. Clear windshield and a/c very odd on convertible. Plus Discs on fronts
Those front discs must have been for those San Francisco hills, I sure wouldn't want to go down one of those with drums!

It might actually be better if the plates were props.

It would certainly help the validation.

-
Back