Double rocker oiling- a problem?

-

Radarsonwheels

Reaction score
So I have an LA block, Edelbrock LA heads, Howards edm AMC style lifters, and hollow ball-ball pushrods with a solid flat tappet (.018 lash).

I'm running a HV pump but I wonder if the edm oiling plus the pushrod oiling (how does lash affect that?) plus the LA style oiling will cause any problems. I guess I can spend $ on new pushrods or maybe figure out a way to cut off the rocker stand oiling. I'm not planning to change anything unless I have low pressure but I don't know if I would know if there was too much oil up top.

Radar

If the pushrod seats on the rockers don't have a hole for the oil to come out I wouldn't worry about it... what kind of rockers are you running anyway?

Restricting oil to the rocker shafts is a very bad idea unless you have another reliable way to oil the rockers

extra oil will help cool the valve springs ,I drilled extra holes in the shafts/rockers on circle track cars in all classes.

With the HV pump you'll have enough oil for both - just make sure the drain back areas are open...lol. That's double the amount of oil to the rockers. You could also plug the oil passages to the heads and go with the pushrods.

I run PRW stainless bushed/roller tip rockers. They have passages that go thru from the pushrod cups.

I already made several sacrifices to the gods of max HP in the name of endurance and 'streetability'- what can a little extra windage hurt as long as the bearings are fed.

I'm still curious how pushrod oiling would work on a solid lifter- you'd think the lash would make it real hard for the oil to make it up top?

Thanks for the responses I'm a little less worried about it now. I'm almost ready to drop this sucker back into the car and I always get nervous at the end!

Every part of the oil system deals with minute pulses - that's the nature of a gear-rotor pump. If you have a very good mechanical gage and solid copper lines you can see it in the gage's movement at idle. Yes, a small fraction of oil will leak out of the pushrod when the lash is not take up - but that's also when the lifter, pushrod, and rocker are "at rest". So the need for oil is less. Once you raise the rpm there's more than enough oil to lube those parts. Remember they are all designed to work with splash - not pressurized oil like a bearing surface. The factory oiling only occurs for 10-15° for each cam rotation - it really doesn't take much.

I'm not planning to change anything unless I have low pressure but I don't know if I would know if there was too much oil up top.
Radar
My 2 cts worth: You have so much volume in the system to work with/available and you are feeding ~twice the normal amount up top which is more than what is needed & even worse is a more critical system down below may be deprived (bearings). Not sure if on a shaft system the rocker/shaft interface will be properly oiled with pushrod oiling (say if you blocked oil up to the shaft) but what I would do is internally plug the pushrods with JB weld!. Then up top the shafts would be oiled like a normal shaft system is and you have your EDM lifters down below helping the lobes' oiling & no unneccessary volume being splurged on the valvetrain via the pushrods. Yes the extra would cool the springs but I dont think you would notice a big difference in spring life expectancy (I might be wrong there) but even so it is far more critical is to have the volume down at the bearings where it is critically needed

Some factory small block Mopars came out with oil through pushrods. There's no problem with it.

-
Back