Dougs 67 Notch build

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
I bought this car from the woman who inherited it from her aunt, the original owner with 72K miles. I saw the car and had to have it. I pulled the fuel tank & tanked it & replaced the pickup/sending unit. Then I did the brakes all around, shocks tires ect. I was trying to get it to run right while I was building my Comet at the same time so I put the Barracuda into storage for four years while I finished my Comet. The Comet is now finished and I am starting on the Barracuda. I am now setting up my garage shop specifically for building this car so I will start with a couple photos of the setup. I have been gathering parts all summer and will continue to do so as I make the build decisions. I am starting with replacing the vinyl top and headliner which are ordered and means I have some rust repair to do at the lower rear window corners. Then I will put it up on stands and blow it apart and start the build in earnest. I imagine it will evolve over time like my Comet did but I am planning on building it basically stock with a mild build on the 273/904 combo. I like the black/red combo so I will iron out the body and paint it back close to the original red color. It is a good car to build as it is complete with no rust except at the rear window corners and all badging intact and I like the stock badging. I will try to post interesting things about the project as I go. I have a deep appreciation of this site and know that I will owe much of my success with this build to the knowledge base that is assembled here. Thanks for looking!
Rat

Shop1A.jpg

Shop1C.jpg

This is the parts storage I used while building my Comet. It was thrown together out of scrap lumber I had from another project and never painted. I got it home from the other shop and unpainted it didn't fit the program. I put 2 gallons of heavy build primer on it and one gallon of the blue. Here's the thing, I took my new Challanger brochure to Lowes and had them scan the Tor Red and B5 Blue into their computer. The stripe on the wall is the scanned Tor Red and the parts storage shelf is the scanned B5 Blue. Now it goes with my program. Rat

partsbench.JPG

Partsbench1.JPG

PartsbenchA.JPG

partsbenchB.JPG

The rear windows have the only rust damage on the car so it will be the first repaired as I cannot get my vinyl top & headliner installed until it is complete. The Taillight damage is from the PO's grandson letting the demo-derby car roll down the parking lot & bang the car. I found a driver quality replacement on e-bay a couple years ago and have it in my hands. (took me almost a year) Rat

Lrearrepair.JPG

Rrearrepair.JPG

Ltliterepair.JPG

Hey that a nice barracuda, BTW my brother is restoring a 65 comet as well, do you have any extra parts laying around for it??????? If so please P.M. me . Good luck with your mopar project.
Matt

Today I removed the rear glass. I was able to do it without cutting the gasket so it is old but intact. Now I can start repairing the damage in the corners and get the new top & headliner. I already have the repop 67 gaskets & lockstrip for replacement. I also have 6 of the SS corner pieces which are 90 deg and I don't think I will need them. I will need a couple of the lower rear corner pieces which are about 110 deg and hard to find.

BCglassout2.JPG

BCglassout3.JPG

BCrearglassout1.JPG

Great looking Barracuda and Comet. Isn't great starting with nice original Washington cars. I also have a FoMoCo, 64 Fairlane w/428. Are you going to put 68-69 window trim on the notch?

i have the same car,i am just getting started on mine. have some of the same back window issues but not quite as bad. LET THE FUN BEGIN.

The photos may be a little out of order. I have the front & rear glass out of the car and I cut out the rust damage with my die cutter. I fabbed & welded in the patches and I am doing the bodywork now. I decided to sand down the whole top and epoxy primer everything then shoot single stage generic red color over it. Then the new vinyl top will have a new surface to glue to. I plan on shooting the paint this weekend, more photos then.

BCUhood.jpg

BCINT.jpg

BCRW.jpg

I just saw a bunch of corner pieces and a rear lower center piece in a for sale add here.

Finished the bodywork on the rust repair and shot the epoxy primer and the Polyurethane color on the car today. All this just to have a good base to put the vinyl top down to. Grandsons came over & helped some. Shot the primer, waited an hour & hit it with 320 dry. Then shot about 15 OZ of the color and called it good. I think I will use the same paint on the engine bay but a different product for the actual paint job on the body. Now I will start stripping the rest of the car and pull the engine for rebuild.

BCrep1.jpg

BCrep2.jpg

BCrep3.jpg

BCrep4.jpg

BCrep5.jpg

BCrep6.jpg

BCrep8.jpg

Wow, nice job making short work of rust that would keep me up for days! Awesome car, too!

Nice job, I`m dreading the day I finally peel off my top to do the same repairs. Did you cut out these areas and replace the metal? if so, pics of that would be appreciated8) cant wait to see the new vinal top if replacing? that will be a sharp car to be proud of, but I`m partial:-D maybe your resto will inspire me to get off my azz and get er done8)

new car pics 004 (Large).jpg

-
Back