doug's and autozone ?

-
installing the headers is next on my list (after I fix the oilpan)
anyone have any suggestions or tips to make it easier ?

Jack the car up and drop the K-frame, motor and all. Its way easier than beating the crap out of everything to get them in. Yes you have to pull the torsion bars brake calipers etc but id rather spend my time doing that then beating the finish off the headers and scratching up the engine bay.

I actually managed to use my previous screw up to my advantage
(I sliced my oil pan so I needed to remove that to have it welded up)
that allowed me to pull the oil pump and with that out of the way there is enough room to slide the drivers side header right into place

:)

I just removed the motor mount bolts, put a jack under the oil pan and raised the motor up about 4 inches. On the drivers side, I favored the jack to that side so the motor tilted. I did this to a few A-bodies years 71-76

No comparison installing dougs or tti to the generic hooker copies.

The hooker copies are a total PIA.

Thanks Skep419! I was going to try jegs with the price match! Have to order front tires from them anyway!:) Thanks for the heads up:)

The Jegs Price match works!!

I gave them the SUPERSAVE discount code and I guess they verified it. The did tell me that a Supervisor has to verify it first. I guess it checked out OK!

Price after discount and matching was $502.39 (no shipping or taxes!).

They also sent me notice that it will drop ship from Doug's (Pertronix?) by May 11th 2015. I believe the company is in Los Angeles, and if their warehouse is nearby, then I'll have it soon after that.

Sweet!

Attachments

• Jegs Dougs Order.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 235
ok I am from Canada but got a set of d453 shipped to my US address for 502.00. Go on the web site to get the discount code, Call the Autozone customer service line or via email and tell them you would like to place an order for the headers. This is what they said to do..."you browse for items and information on AutoZone.com. Use the Zip code 38122 and set the 4400 Summer Ave store in Memphis, Tennessee as your preferred store. This is our Fulfillment Center zip code and location. You will then see the correct pricing for your purchase. To place an order, please complete the form below. We will reply to your email with the total estimated cost for your approval. After replying to us that you have approved the total cost of your order, we will call you to get your credit card information. Please do not send your credit card information via email." I think the headers are shipped directly from factory, this worked out fine for me, they addressed all my concerns. Hope this helps...its a hell of a deal!

I agree with 318willrun,I just disconnected the motor mounts and raised it as high as I could...remove the distributor cap and coil if its on the firewall. Installed from underneath..oh ya if you have the 90 degree oil filter adapter that has to come off.

I'm not sure if Autozone will do this, but Home Depot does. It is possible to order the item at the store and have it shipped to the store with its regular stock order saving the cost of shipping. A store that's moving a lot of items could have your headers at the store in 3-5 business days. This assumes that the big box warehouse has them in stock.

Yep, I order from Autozone at the store,about 4 blocks from the shop.Never pay for shipping. At most a wait of 4 or 5 days.

Autozone has a 24 hour vdp policy. What I mean by that is if your order cannot be shipped within 24 hours they simply consider the part out of stock. So if the part(dougs headers on this case) is on back order they will simply Just show that particular part as unavailable at that time. Hopefully what I just wrote makes sense. Insider info from a manager.

Has anyone removed their engine from the top after installing these headers?

I plan on taking mine out again this weekend and would like to know if I can leave the headers hooked up to the rest of the exhaust and just pull the engine out (and drop it back in later)

I just bought them for the Demon, and went to Autozone, the D-453's went all the way to check out and got total. Then I went to Jegs and right before you go to cart there is a box for price match and all you need to do is give them the info from were you saw them cheaper proceed to checkout and they accept the price. No shipping or taxes! Got to love it. Paid 502.39

-
Back