Dougs Headers and gaskets

-

scott657

Reaction score
Ok gang, I'm getting ready to install my 453,s onto a 360 in a 68 Valiant. I only want to do this once. The Dougs Instructions call for Ultra copper rtv on their supplied gaskets. If there is a better gasket, or installation that has worked for you, I would like to here about it. I have read a bit about the REMFLEX gaskets, and I am considering a pair of those with some ARP bolts. Let me know what worked best(Can of worms officially opened):)
Part#s appreciated

MLS gaskets (multi layer steel) work great on headers. UC RTV is just very high heat. ARP fasteners on headers is overkill in my opinion as thy only get torqued to like 18ft/lbs. More than that youll start to deform the flange. retorque after warm, and again after about a week.

We just used the gaskets that came with the Doug's headers when we put them in Eddie's 69 Dart...

They will be real tight to the ps steering gear...

Install the left one before installing the engine, then the right one after the engine is in - you may have to lift the engine an inch or two to wiggle it in place, but it will fit...

DSC04796 B.jpg

DSC04798 B.jpg

DSC04800 B.jpg

DSC04802 B.jpg

DSC04805 B.jpg

ARP just have a small 3/8 hex and a flange which is nice in tight areas

Allen head bolts....

And you will have to cut the wrench down for the inside corners, but that's ok.
I used Remflex with no sealant with 3/8 hex head chrome bolts from Jegs and it all worked perfect on my old motor even with a busted off stud on the drivers side rear.
I even re used them when I put the Magnum in and they are still great with no leaks.
Remflex does not require any re torque, and have a lifetime leak guarantee.

I used no gasket goop and just bolted them on with the supplied gaskets and no leaks.

We soak the fiber gaskets in warm water for about 15-20 minutes before installing so they swell a little, then compress to seal the gaps better when tightened...

Sometimes you have to modify a tool to make it better for a specific purpose... I have a few myself...

You got that right, and I have a drawer specifically for those modded tools.
Whatever it takes. :D

You got that right, and I have a drawer specifically for those modded tools.
Whatever it takes. :D

I worked at at towing company when I was younger, the boss was an old Harley biker that had to "settle back into society"... He was a good machinist and great at building Harleys... He had a cut off 9/16" Snap-on combination wrench in the tool box that he said was for tightening a specific bolt on a Harley engine (I think a head bolt) because it wouldn't work at the standard length...

That's where I learned that sometimes you have to sacrifice/modify a tool to make it work for a specific purpose...

And you will have to cut the wrench down for the inside corners, but that's ok.
I used Remflex with no sealant with 3/8 hex head chrome bolts from Jegs and it all worked perfect on my old motor even with a busted off stud on the drivers side rear.
I even re used them when I put the Magnum in and they are still great with no leaks.
Remflex does not require any re torque, and have a lifetime leak guarantee.
Is that the6003 gasket?

I don't have Doug's headers but it doesn't really matter since your question is about gaskets/sealing. I have been using Mr.Gasket Ultra seal gaskets (MLS type) for yrs. with great luck. So far I have never had one leak

Goin with the remflex, Amazon $34.99 free shipping with Prime.
I usually buy from summit when I have a $99+ order But Amazon Prime is great if they have the part you need

I'm using corrugated, stamped multi layer aluminium, gaskets on my Dougs' and even the two tubes with only 1 stud on them don't leak.
Both heads on my 318 each have one broken bolt on them.

Cool, we always pass by Pt Judith on our way out to Block Island! I`m sure you have been there! Whatcha got for a car?

-
Back