Dougs headers hitting steering coupler

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
The steering coupler does not have enough room to rotate. It barely clears the #7 tube. I have thought about shifting the engine a bit but there doesnt appear to be enough clearance on the pass side torsion bar to make a difference.

Has anyone else run into this? Do you have a solution ? I really dont want to ding the tube if I can help it.

BTW , i am using the taller insulators on the engine mounts.

I had the same problem using stock manifolds.I ended up grinding a little off the coupler, but I think im gonna try a different style coupler.

If its a '72 or earlier style motor mount you can shim between motor mount and k-frame to raise the engine a little bit. I have two shims on one side and one shim on the other to get my headers to fit. The factory k-frame specs were very sloppy which causes a lot of header issues....

You can do away with your stock coupling and use a flaming river steering coupler that much smaller in diameter , it uses a u joint rather then the crappy pot coupling chtysler uses

I thought about shimming the steering box, I will try it tonight.

The flaming River joint looks pretty trick but It seems like a lot of money for what it is! 200$ ! Are they titanium ? Lol

Shimmed pass side of steering box and it gave me the clearance. But now my column is about 3/4" short of the mounting studs.... Dont think it's related.

Ah....the joys of restoring cars..lol

you can shorten the steering arm , ive seen it done , I am at this part of dropping my motor in , beaking it in taking it to a friend who is a class A pipe maker and he is making a set from new stock to the rear of the car 8500.00 in motor and trans whats another 1200.00 mint 65 barracuda cutting 11.25s will fetch yah 10k now days open the wallet ant get what you want , we may alltip over tommoro,, good luck follow up with shots theres more steering colums out there to help you if it gets foked up

I just got done makeing a 200 dollar flameing river coupler work on the same exact combination. had to machine the coupler down to 1/4 inch wall on column side and that only left about 1/16th clearance. i welded the column shaft to the coupler. just couldn't live with the roll pin. it came out good

-
Back