Dougs headers idiot tech support

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Finished my install and decided to call tech support and ask why there is NO mention of modifying the z-bar clutch linkage in the instructions.
The guy says "you don't have to". Of course I responded a bit stern that yeah...'ya do. He says they've sold thousands to A body 4 speeds and NOBODY ever called about this issue.

So he gets the boss. He says my car must be all "modified", cause he knows "for a fact" that the D453 header will clear ANY 4 spd clutch linkage. What a bunch of @!$*ing idiots! Wish I woulda bought TTI. At least they know about their issues.
Have any of you guys let them know about it, or am I really the first?

Anyhow, I had to cut the lower arm off and weld it, angled toward the block and clocked about 1 1/4 inch rearward, to clear the pipe and mini starter.
Just hope I haven't lost a lot of travel.
Wasn't too impressed with the header welds either. I coulda TIG'd em waaay nicer.

My advice as a long time motorhead(new Mopar)....spend another 100 bucks and buy TTI.

p.s. Not really complaining here. I made my own choice and knew about the z-bar. Just trying to warn a guy who is not a welder/fabricater.

Finished my install and decided to call tech support and ask why there is NO mention of modifying the z-bar clutch linkage in the instructions.
The guy says "you don't have to". Of course I responded a bit stern that yeah...'ya do. He says they've sold thousands to A body 4 speeds and NOBODY ever called about this issue.

So he gets the boss. He says my car must be all "modified", cause he knows "for a fact" that the D453 header will clear ANY 4 spd clutch linkage. What a bunch of @!$*ing idiots! Wish I woulda bought TTI. At least they know about their issues.
Have any of you guys let them know about it, or am I really the first?

Anyhow, I had to cut the lower arm off and weld it, angled toward the block and clocked about 1 1/4 inch rearward, to clear the pipe and mini starter.
Just hope I haven't lost a lot of travel.
Wasn't too impressed with the header welds either. I coulda TIG'd em waaay nicer.

My advice as a long time motorhead(new Mopar)....spend another 100 bucks and buy TTI.

p.s. Not really complaining here. I made my own choice and knew about the z-bar. Just trying to warn a guy who is not a welder/fabricater.

this an early a-body or a 67-up?

If you do spend another $100 on tti's... guess what... you'll be modifying your z-bar. I've had 5 or 6 4 speed a body cars with these headers and all of them needed z bar mods with both brands.

Unfortunately the tech support at these places is lacking most of the time. I know that the dougs catalog says those 453 headers don't fit 73+ cars or cars with 727's... both are false. they fit fine with either and both!

tti's are a copy of the dougs with some changes in routing the step set up.

tti will tell you to bend the z bar... they acted like they never heard about it either when I spoke with them about the issue. Mayeb they've changed their instructions.

Been there done that on the early-a with a 4-speed. Yep ya gotta modify. Thank goodness for Brewer's Performance. They helped out a bunch with all the dfferent bellhousings and brackets that are out there for the 4-speed setups. It's worth give them a call if you have any other problems. Of course they area business and will want to selll ya something. A+ quality parts and advice IMO. Goodluck

Forgot to mention. 71 Demon 4 spd, power steering. Just like Rumblefish said.
Maybe I was a little....harsh?, but it chaps my butt that these manufacturers sometimes really don't know what's going on. I'm lucky. I can weld, fabricate a little, and so on. What if some 18 year old kid, just getting started, makes some big purchase and finds out stuff don't fit? Kinda wonder.

So....didn't have to modify the bellhousing ball bracket at all. Just the z bar. Seems to be working perfectly. Just have to pull everything out...do a bit of cleaning and painting and re-install for good. Not sure what sealant to use on the header bolts that go into water jackets. Thinking about good ol' Permatex. Can't say the stuff has failed me in 30 years. If you guys know of something better, please let me know.

Sorry if the original post was a bit "rantish". Didn't want to come down on 'em too hard. Just wish people would learn a bit about their product.

Aftermarket stuff that doesn't fit, work correctly, or is not designed right has been my biggest complaint about the hi-po parts aftermarket industry the entire time (35 years) I've been a hot rodder. It seems they know that they'll still sell parts, so "who cares". I always go into a project expecting that something won't work or fit right.

Aftermarket stuff that doesn't fit, work correctly, or is not designed right has been my biggest complaint about the hi-po parts aftermarket industry the entire time (35 years) I've been a hot rodder. It seems they know that they'll still sell parts, so "who cares". I always go into a project expecting that something won't work or fit right.

Exactly, & its a shame when are own people do this to us & don't give a rats ***, then they jack the prices up big time, for what? A product thats still mediocre. BS i say, i've heard countless complaints about TTI headers, that why i DON"T touch them, not for that price.

-
Back