Drag link question

-

Matts440

Reaction score
I wanted to convert my sons 68 valiant to power steering, and my dad said I could have the power steering box and pitman arm and idler arm but the tapered ball joint are larger, can I just drill and open the holes or does anyone have a pitman arm that fits large spline power steering box to the smaller ball joint?

The tapers should all be the same diameter. The direction of the taper changed because they flipped the ball joint direction for the pitman and idler between 68-72 and 73+.

I’m assuming that the power steering box you’re getting is the 73+ large sector version. I’m not aware of a large sector to 68-72 pitman arm, you’d need the 73+ center steering link to make that work.

With small sector boxes you can use either steering link because you can buy a 73+ manual pitman and use it on the earlier power box. But with the large sector power steering box I believe your only option is a ‘73+ pitman, which will need a ‘73+ center link.

I converted my 69 to PS and didn't have to change anything about the drag link. I think 73-up PS boxes have a different drag link.

The steering columns are different between power and manual steering (then add column vs floor shift) but only the shaft is so you either need a PS column or the shaft out of a PS column. Some say to break the sheer pins and they fit but then you loose crash safety function of the column.

I had my box rebuilt by Firm Feel to stage 3 specs and use 900 PSI Saginaw box and It's perfect.

My steering column was power steering. Yeah I just checked these fit just on the other side, I'll find a 73 center link for this. Thanks for the help

I wanted to convert my sons 68 valiant to power steering, and my dad said I could have the power steering box and pitman arm and idler arm but the tapered ball joint are larger, can I just drill and open the holes or does anyone have a pitman arm that fits large spline power steering box to the smaller ball joint?
Not only are there two taper sizes, but the idler and center link are "upside down" compared to the older ones--on the 73/ later Don't drill them. Get the correct parts. the parts that must match are the idler, center link, and pitman arm, and then the box must fit the splines in the pitman arm.

I do have the correct idler and pitman arm from my dads car, so its just the center, seeing if a few people on the parts cars are willing to sell one.

-
Back