Drag N Drive

-
i haven't yet. would like to try it once but man it looks like a pain in the *** at the same time.. so much waiting for a run. better hope you can go one and done.. a friend has done two and loves them..

I signed up for “interested” in the summer sick week Tom Bailey is doing later this year. I think he’s calling it death week. We are also looking at 2024 drag week for the LS pinto.

I have done 8 drag weeks, probably sign up this year also depending on where it is. No better time can be had with your car, 5+ days of racing and traveling with race car people, it's hard to beat.

Test and prepare is the best advice I can give. I have been lucky and have done all 8 with little trouble. Couple of MSD boxes(went EFI to get rid of that stuff) some pushrod adjusters, and one broken rocker arm are the ones I can remember. Got lucky in 2021 when I broke a rocker arm and didn't have a spare. Harland Sharp overnighted us one to the hotel and we were back on the road the next morning. That is the closest call I have had to not being able to make a pass under full power.

Best average has been 10.57 in 2021, changed cams last year and slowed down a little bit :rolleyes:

IMG_7167.jpg

1632422678457blob.JPG

Last edited:
91 or 93 whatever is available. Sometimes out in the sticks some of the stations only have 87 but that has yet to be a problem near the tracks.

I have done 8 drag weeks, probably sign up this year also depending on where it is. No better time can be had with your car, 5+ days of racing and traveling with race car people, it's hard to beat.

Test and prepare is the best advice I can give. I have been lucky and have done all 8 with little trouble. Couple of MSD boxes(went EFI to get rid of that stuff) some pushrod adjusters, and one broken rocker arm are the ones I can remember. Got lucky in 2021 when I broke a rocker arm and didn't have a spare. Harland Sharp overnighted us one to the hotel and we were back on the road the next morning. That is the closest call I have had to not being able to make a pass under full power.

Best average has been 10.57 in 2021, changed cams last year and slowed down a little bit :rolleyes:

View attachment 1716054101

View attachment 1716054102
That is the perfect look for a Barracuda. Blue. Small tire. Carrying the front tires a little bit. Great picture.

That is the perfect look for a Barracuda. Blue. Small tire. Carrying the front tires a little bit. Great picture.
Thank you sir. The perfect look would be with the factory hood in my opinion. But I really wanted to play with a tunnel ram lol.

In a perfect world this would have a turbo on it with a stock hood. Its a goal, with either this R1 W2 motor or a Gen III.

View attachment 1716054101

View attachment 1716054102
Damn, I didn't need to see that lol

Damn, I didn't need to see that lol
Hey I was in the middle of nowhere Ohio when I had to pull the cover and see that lol. I was 43 years old at the time and the look of disappointment on my Dad's face when I told him I forgot to order spares hit just as hard as it did when I was a kid LOL.

I think the shaft wore out and caused it to bind, it broke at 3500RPM on the highway. We pulled the pushrod, zip tied the bearings over the oil holes and drove it another hour to the hotel. UPS showed up at 8:10AM we slapped another arm on it and finished the week. I sent the shaft and broken rocker to HS and they warrantied it. It had a groove worn it from the bearing, the bearing looked fine. After drag week I pulled the other side and found some heavy wear on that shaft also, again they warrantied it. That was in 2021, I haven't looked at it since drag week 22 lol.

Hey I was in the middle of nowhere Ohio when I had to pull the cover and see that lol. I was 43 years old at the time and the look of disappointment on my Dad's face when I told him I forgot to order spares hit just as hard as it did when I was a kid LOL.

I think the shaft wore out and caused it to bind, it broke at 3500RPM on the highway. We pulled the pushrod, zip tied the bearings over the oil holes and drove it another hour to the hotel. UPS showed up at 8:10AM we slapped another arm on it and finished the week. I sent the shaft and broken rocker to HS and they warrantied it. It had a groove worn it from the bearing, the bearing looked fine. After drag week I pulled the other side and found some heavy wear on that shaft also, again they warrantied it. That was in 2021, I haven't looked at it since drag week 22 lol.
Damn that's crazy, I better get some spares.
Nice that HS warrantied it for you

I have done 5 of them myself. Its by far the most fun I have ever had with my car. BlueCuda340 is right on the money. Of course I never go with a tested car, it just works out that way and it really bit last year at Dragweek. My fastest average was 9.07 at Dragweek 2021 because its first full power pass was on day 1 and it did a massive wheel stand smacked the oil pan and trans pan on the way down.

tempImageZ1Y1nP.png

1701C754-89AF-43D2-A475-729C2D7A176A_1_201_a.jpeg

Did drag week 2019, No issues, swapped out the alternator at Cecil County. I remember on the first day at Virginia motorsports park it rained in the morning so everyone left the track late only getting one run in. It was sunny and HOT driving on 95 through Richmond and it’s rush hour. I’m watching the temp gauge slowly climb. Starting to think “this week is going to suck!”. I’m about to dive off the exit and let it cool down and they send us off on a four lane country route, the engine temp started to drop and the sun was setting and it was a great evenings drive. Wasn’t even troubled when the alternator would stop and restart charging. I knew I could get an alternator at Cecil, just turned off the electric pump. It will run with the mechanical pulling through the electric up to 4000 rpm.

Got signed up for Drag Week 2023. My car is even ready at the moment so I am sure I will break it and/or decide to take it apart before September lol.

The rules were tighter for the one at my track last year. Nothing bigger than a 275/60, exhaust past the door, plated insured, full interior and glass, working heater, with a 50 mile cruise. Was going to try to hit a few this year with my roadrunner. Going to probably need to hit it with a small nitrous shot to push it into the 6.30-40 range I figure it needs to be at to be competitive. It was also on a no prep running backwards up the track.

We’re signed up for drag week 2023 but it’s not likely the car will be ready. The owner has had some hard times recently and his attention had been placed elsewhere. We’ll see how the next 2 months goes.

-
Back