DRAG RACING ON LONG ISLAND 1963 - 1969

-

AlV

Crabs in a barrel
Reaction score
I'm just catching this and thought I'd share.
Some pretty cool foo tage

credit:Jim Amos - beeonvideo

Oh wow! Thanks! Very nice.
I was a kid and would hear them all the time at my saints house in the early '79's. National closed up early and left only the Hamptons which I had run on.

Now, it is all gone to make room for houses. There is only 1 track left on the island. Riverhead Raceway doing roundy's.
Nearest track is Island or Raceway park, both a (not so) tastes 2+ hour drive through N.Y.C. And rough roads & tolls.

Back street racing is big. Clandestine meetings in industrial parks and deserted areas.

I'm just catching this and thought I'd share.
Some pretty cool foo tage

credit:Jim Amos - beeonvideo

GREAT stuff! There's actually a L.I . drag racing website. There's no track there anywhere, anymore but those guys manage to play a bit at various locations.
Hemmings Muscle Machine did an article on the "Rye Ford" (at 3:29 mins) S/S? Mustang. Seems the original owner still has it & uses it a bit.

Glad you guy's liked it as much as I did. How about some of that Snow covered winter racing? :)

I did notice that. Snow! Must have been a warm day to go out and run.

I could watch that all day versus Top Fuel and modern funny car. Love listening to those guys rowing the gears with those 4 speed cars.

If you're a big fan of 4 speed door cars, check out the Southeast Gassers. These guys are based in the Carolinas and have a race series that goes by the 67 NHRA rulebook. They are very strict that the car and all the equipment, with the exception of the safety stuff, HAS to be what was available 67 or older. Even down to equipment stickers. They all run straight axles and 4 speeds. I imagine the engines have modern internal parts, but no aftermarket aluminum heads are allowed. I recently saw some video of them on competitionplus.com and it made me think of when I first went to the drags in the late 60s.

I remember the snow well! I also remember going to Englishtown the 2nd week of Febuary when it oped & watching the cars run. A lot of the P/S/ guys would tow there to T&T as it was the closest track that opened up the earliest in the season. Trying tio start a race engine in sometimes single-digit temperatures is no fun!

Thanks I needed that 1hour of old school racing. I need to get back to my car and finish it In stead of look at it in my shop I don't need much money just need a kick in the ***

Very cool, I call that racing, no high tech computers making decisions.

-
Back