Drag Racing trivia

-

Mopartist

Reaction score
ID this car (I'll go easy on ya with this one)

trivia1.jpg

I'm not messing with ya. This was a real "mid engined" Funny Car.
Hint 1: He was a fireman
Hint 2: He made a movie
Hint 3: He used to drive a AA/FD
Hint 4: It IS a Cuda body

You are correct! My next hint was that his son now announces for ESPN. I saw this car lose a blower in the lights at Orange County. Took the roof clean off. They duct taped it back on and made the call for the next round.
My next trivia will be harder

Name that driver........

Hint: You probably have heard of him
Hint: He's making a TV reality show
Hint: Of all the elements in race car/team; he focuses on COIL the most

hynesBeaverHunter48-3.jpg

I thought you wanted the make of the car so I did not even notice it was Jim's mid-engine car until I looked at it again. Jim tried that setup because of the success the new rear engine dragsters were having. It did not work out well obviously because funnys are still front engined today. I have been around NHRA Drag Racing a long time. My father was the Division 6 Tech Director for the NHRA in the 60's so I saw a lot of drag racing growing up.

Cool! I think the old days were better. (In their own way) They could experiment with new setups. I too grew up around drag racing; and then worked at Irwindale Raceway in 70-71 on the maintenence crew. Saw some wierd cars over the years!

MtNemoMopar said:
I thought for sure it was Big John's car, with Rich Siroonian driving. I forgot about Jim Dunn. Shame on me.

It did look an aweful lot Like the Mazmanian car. Do you guys recognize the altered?

Mopartist said:
Name that driver........

Hint: You probably have heard of him
Hint: He's making a TV reality show
Hint: Of all the elements in race car/team; he focuses on COIL the most
John Force

Some good info here.

I am taking note's :drinkers: :thumblef:

Yep thats Jim Dunns car. Ever seen Funny Car Summer? Its a movie made back in the day about Jim Dunn.

plum360415 said:
Yep thats Jim Dunns car. Ever seen Funny Car Summer? Its a movie made back in the day about Jim Dunn.

Yep; I remember seeing it the theater. It was funny because of the "human interest" element in it. They filmed Jim shaving for 20 minutes! heh heh!

tmDunnReath.jpg

1973Swinger said:
John Force is making a reality TV show? Any idea what its going to be about?

Some time this summer. I guess they will focus alot on Ashley; Aidra and her husband Robert Height. The show is being done by A&E. Did ya notice his new sponsors logo on the wing?

I agree! Those shows are the farthest thing from reality. Heres some reality for them. Why don't they have a show about a guy or gal that goes to work everyday, raises a family, and tries to spend a little on his hobby so he can have an outlet to unwind from his job and the pressures of his ever shrinking net income because of escalating fuel prices, taxes, etc.

Yikes, were did that come from, man I can't wait until April 2nd, opening day of drag racing!

Mopartist said:
:sleepy1: Gosh; that'd be a snoozer of a show! ;-)
You are absolutely correct! It's the same reason American Hot Rod can't have a show without some sort of cusing are someone quiting or the like. People like the juicey stuff.

I really get ticked at Boyd Cottington when he tells some poor kid "Pack up your tools and leave; I don't put up with insubordination" Sheeesh! Way ta go Boyd; just shatter a young guys dreams because he was trying to be personable with that short, fat, smart alec you call Dewayne the shop foreman! I'd never bow down to that turd. :notworth: :notworth:
:thumblef:

-
Back