drag racing

-

75ddart

Reaction score
I figured to step up to a modern day mopar muscle car and purchased a 2010 challenger ,but still have my dart sport that I run occasionally totally stock and slow. I had upgraded about two years ago to a 8/34 rear diff with a rebuilt 742 3.55 rear. did it as a duel purpose car street/ strip. Anyhow after I did some research on the challenger, not for the racing, my fault, but thought as I get older, heated seats a/c , cruise ect would be better that the wife and I riding around without all the comforts of an old car. So after the research it appears as though I feel like I made a mistake. The challenger looks as though axles, driveshaft, snd running DOT slicks, need to be replaced, all not even cheap. I figure to upgrade the dart to similar HP vs. the challenger, now not so sure. This is not a SRT ,only an R/T5.7, any thoughts ?

If you're debating which one to upgrade for more racing, I'd suggest sticking to the Dart and keep the Challenger as a nice driver for everyone. Older stuff is easier to work on and you'll lose less of your investment if anything should break on the Dart, or if you decide to sell.

Keep your heated seats, A/C, FI, and other modern luxuries for you and your wife to enjoy.... Build the Dart.
Awwwww, why save it for the grandkids $$$$$$$$$$ go buy the new Demon :D

I took the dart off the road about two years ago and just trailered it, so cost wise I could put antique tags on it and insurance in case anything should happen going to and from the track, but once there, nothing and keep the challenger as a daily when needed. The dart is slower than my swinger from years ago, but that doesn't bother me, but even slower it was consistant. I can sell the trailer and recoop some coins. Would sit anyway as I wouldn't need it. Anymore replies ?

well, it's not hard to make if faster if you wished.. What's it running now?

Keep your heated seats, A/C, FI, and other modern luxuries for you and your wife to enjoy.... Build the Dart.
Awwwww, why save it for the grandkids $$$$$$$$$$ go buy the new Demon :D

What he said!!!:)

Let me put it this way. I had a Plum Crazy 2010 Challenger R/T (auto/trans). I was so frustrated with the performance, and costs of upgrade options, that I sold it last year and bought my Barracuda. My main frustrations with the Challenger were the adaptive control modules dogging it down every time I wasn't getting on it, the lack of a true posi rear-end, and not being able to turn off the MDS or stabilization software. True, I could use a tuner my DiabloSport Predator tuner to reset the controls and turn off the MDS, but got tired of messing with it all the time, not to mention keeping up with the tune calibrations every time the dealer reflashed the computer.

Plus,... in the 7 years I had it, there were 3 recalls, had to replace 2 speed sensors in the rear calipers, had to have wiring fixed after mice chewed it (look up issues with newer cars using peanut based insulation on wiring. There is a class action seat going on against Toyota for the same issue), and the paint started just flaking off in various places (not from getting hit by anything). Final straw was a clunking sound coming from somewhere in the middle of the chassis, every time you touched the brakes, that we (local mechanic and myself) couldn't find.

I also got tired of having someone else read the codes every time something went wrong with it. It was a decent driver, and don't get me wrong, I liked the looks of it. I just decided to get rid of it while the value was still reasonable and bought myself something I could play with.

I would stick with your Dart for performance, like others said, and keep the Challenger as the stock daily driver (Should you choose).

Just my $.02

well, it's not hard to make if faster if you wished.. What's it running now?
Well, since its still a numbers matching car I had shortshifted it at 4k and it ran low to mid 15's in the qrter, but I know if I raise the shift the shift points it would go faster. Butall stock right down to the manifolds, 360.

Just my opinion . Most of the bracket cars at my local track are clapped out , stripped out crap boxes with lots of compression and big cams . It's not about going fast . It's about going rounds . A 13.00-12.90 second car is a good street car that won't break the bank . Stock parts can be used , up to a point , 9" tires with full street trim and a motor that will stay together . A class car is completely different . Same with index cars . You need to be light , stiff , tranny braked , high winding machine . a lot of maintenance Your choise

Just my opinion . Most of the bracket cars at my local track are clapped out , stripped out crap boxes with lots of compression and big cams . It's not about going fast . It's about going rounds . A 13.00-12.90 second car is a good street car that won't break the bank . Stock parts can be used , up to a point , 9" tires with full street trim and a motor that will stay together . A class car is completely different . Same with index cars . You need to be light , stiff , tranny braked , high winding machine . a lot of maintenance Your choise
My swinger years ago ran normaly low 12's and was basically a stock rebuild as I kept it simple so I know exactly what you mean. I mostly got the headstart and as long as I cut a light and that car was very consistant, was second in points yearsago and only 20 points from being number 1. Even though my current dart is slower. Last year at one of my outings I went 3 rounds, I do believe the stock conv is going as I couldn't cover the dial. Only thing I have lest is my race conv. and I got a smallblock flexplate as the motor that was in the swinger was a neutral balance crank I also ran a 383, was simple and the only thing I broke in many years of racing was a tailshaft on the tranny, nothing in the motor.

75ddart, I bought a 2007 Charger R/T in 2011. I had a choice between that and a 2007 Charger SRT8. I took home the 5.7 L Hemi R/T because it was a more comfortable ride than the SRT. I then started collecting more performance parts to beef up my Duster. The Duster is Neanderthal compared to the creature comforts of the Charger but it sure is a lot of fun to hit the gas.
BTW, the Charger ran low 14s when I first got it.

75ddart, I bought a 2007 Charger R/T in 2011. I had a choice between that and a 2007 Charger SRT8. I took home the 5.7 L Hemi R/T because it was a more comfortable ride than the SRT. I then started collecting more performance parts to beef up my Duster. The Duster is Neanderthal compared to the creature comforts of the Charger but it sure is a lot of fun to hit the gas.
BTW, the Charger ran low 14s when I first got it.
I agree, it's nice having a modern type of muscle car and my wife and I enjoy the challenger, we took it on a date night the other Friday night, The sound, tunes brought me back to funner days. I was kind of flabbergasted that I had to replace stuff just to have some fun now and then. I had to laugh some when I heard the radio advertisement about Dodge and welcoming to the brotherhood of performance or something like that, yea if you don't have to replace a lot on a perf. car Probaly do what others have said though, wasn't my plan, but I guess I need to do what I want. I don't get off a creeper as fast as I used to, so I figurewhy not get a newer muscle car, but jeesh !

I agree, it's nice having a modern type of muscle car and my wife and I enjoy the challenger, we took it on a date night the other Friday night, The sound, tunes brought me back to funner days. I was kind of flabbergasted that I had to replace stuff just to have some fun now and then. I had to laugh some when I heard the radio advertisement about Dodge and welcoming to the brotherhood of performance or something like that, yea if you don't have to replace a lot on a perf. car Probaly do what others have said though, wasn't my plan, but I guess I need to do what I want. I don't get off a creeper as fast as I used to, so I figurewhy not get a newer muscle car, but jeesh !
LOL, I’m 62 now. I was 55 when I decided to take it easier on my body in regards to wrenching on cars.
Recently, I have seriously considered selling my empire and getting a Hellcat Charger to make things simple and eliminate the clutter from 3 separate project cars and the associated collection needed for each project.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.
Art

That's kind of why I went to a modern muscle car, many years of turning wrenches has caught up to me. I will be 57 later this year and most forgot more than I can remember , LOL ! Not to mention other physical factors. Last season I just spectated when I did go. I got into motorcycles more than cars, lost some interest in cars when I worked on them everyday. I have a friend that used cars as his escape, because he did carpentry work everyday and hated it on his own time, guess that's what happened to me, but getting this challenger has got me sort of back into cars somewhat.

That's kind of why I went to a modern muscle car, many years of turning wrenches has caught up to me. I will be 57 later this year and most forgot more than I can remember , LOL ! Not to mention other physical factors. Last season I just spectated when I did go. I got into motorcycles more than cars, lost some interest in cars when I worked on them everyday. I have a friend that used cars as his escape, because he did carpentry work everyday and hated it on his own time, guess that's what happened to me, but getting this challenger has got me sort of back into cars somewhat.

Keep racing, but plan accordingly. Race smart and focus on consistency. I can afford to race only because I've done well. I always said that drag racing slows down aging because it keeps you active physically and mentally. But I've also slowed down physically and with my cars, racing less over the years. I bracket raced since 1978 running a fast as 10.22 in a Challenger. Won 14 track and one division ET championships. Then I switched to a Dart Sport in 1999 for IHRA Stock running only mid-low 11's, but having a ball with wheels-up launches. Won my second IHRA Stock World Championship last year at 60. Now I'm trying to get a Dodge Aspen wagon squared away for NHRA Stock and will start off running even slower - mid 12's. Budget and vacation time at work will limit me to the divisional level but may try a national or two eventually if things go well. Stick with a reliable, consistent "old" combo without jeopardizing your retirement or physical limits. New cars can break too and you don't need a computer or dealer to figure out a problem.

Keep racing, but plan accordingly. Race smart and focus on consistency. I can afford to race only because I've done well. I always said that drag racing slows down aging because it keeps you active physically and mentally. But I've also slowed down physically and with my cars, racing less over the years. I bracket raced since 1978 running a fast as 10.22 in a Challenger. Won 14 track and one division ET championships. Then I switched to a Dart Sport in 1999 for IHRA Stock running only mid-low 11's, but having a ball with wheels-up launches. Won my second IHRA Stock World Championship last year at 60. Now I'm trying to get a Dodge Aspen wagon squared away for NHRA Stock and will start off running even slower - mid 12's. Budget and vacation time at work will limit me to the divisional level but may try a national or two eventually if things go well. Stick with a reliable, consistent "old" combo without jeopardizing your retirement or physical limits. New cars can break too and you don't need a computer or dealer to figure out a problem.
Thanks for the encouraging words ! I had a dart sport in HS actually two, both 75's.Thinking of just doing this with the dart, I figure the only thing that would concern me is a breakage at the track and getting it and me home. One track is like 40 miles or so, the other is like 30. I have read about you before, I have recognized your car in your avatar. I only ran IHRA one time, mostly NHRA tracks. What a resume you have ! all at an older age! old school ! You all have given me some positive thoughts and inspirations.

It's been my personal experience that going faster cost more money, more parts and more time working on your car. And your never going "fast enough" in your own mine.
Going slower equals less parts attrition, More track time, better constancy, more fun, more winning!

There use to be a track I raced at in the early to mid 70"s. Was called Twin City Drags in Oldsmar Fl. There was a a beat up 65 Chevy Malibu wagon that was wrecked in the rear that stayed at the track. Every Saturday night, they would put 3-5 gallons of gas in it and enter it in bracket racing. It would piss me and many others off because about 50-70% of the time he won the money. it ran 18-19 in the quarter and everyone had to run him down and most of the time lost because of breaking out, red lighting or just plain running out of track!
Now the sad part about this story is it took many many years for me to realize this life lesson. CONSISTENCY WINS!

There use to be a track I raced at in the early to mid 70"s. Was called Twin City Drags in Oldsmar Fl. There was a a beat up 65 Chevy Malibu wagon that was wrecked in the rear that stayed at the track. Every Saturday night, they would put 3-5 gallons of gas in it and enter it in bracket racing. It would piss me and many others off because about 50-70% of the time he won the money. it ran 18-19 in the quarter and everyone had to run him down and most of the time lost because of breaking out, red lighting or just plain running out of track!
Now the sad part about this story is it took many many years for me to realize this life lesson. CONSISTENCY WINS!
Agree with your 2 posts, I have discovered this as well, over the years. It's fun to go fast, but constancy wins out and keeping it simple mostly allows you to be there every week, when your running for points. I just considered running once the mood strikes me, being at a track every week interferes with other things in life. Over the years I have met and have stayed in contact with racing folks!

I ran a 71 Dart and ran 6.40's in the 1/8 and man I had a lot of fun with that car. It was easy on parts and never broke. Then I had to go faster with my SG 67 Barracuda!

Just got off the phone with a friend of mine and he agreed, that speed costs money as he is building a bigger motor for next year, non Mopar, but it doesn't matter what one runs, to my thinking they all cost money and I don't care if one runs a Renault as long as we are friends and support each other in the same interests.

Great input from everyone. Faster and faster is exponential $$. Consistency is where it’s at. And reliability. Everyone loves wicked fast cars but your pushing the edge - **** breaks, you have down time, etc. to each there own. Not knocking em. Getting back into racing (at 52) I’d rather be running at the track having fun. And like locomotion said - it’s still a ball of fun regardless of ET

With such a gap in my experience (didn’t race until last fall since 1991) I have to be realistic. It’s for fun and the camaraderie and watching the experienced guys/gals trap at 180 mph. Lol

Good luck and have fun ! I’d keep the newer model as is. Comfort is good. And take the Dart up to something that is fun and safe. And will cost lot,less !

As I got older, when I could go race a weekend at the track, and not break anything, I would consider myself as a winner weather I won or not. Stop off at the Local IHOP with my racing buddies on the way home for breakfast. And the car was ready to do it again when ever you go again.

As I got older, when I could go race a weekend at the track, and not break anything, I would consider myself as a winner weather I won or not. Stop off at the Local IHOP with my racing buddies on the way home for breakfast. And the car was ready to do it again when ever you go again.
That sounds like a good time. Racing with friends then bench racing afterwards !

-
Back