Drag radials and a four speed

-
My '66 Charger with the 499/4-speed was on a 275-60-15 M&H DOT radial for several years. I actually wore out a couple of sets. Launching it was tricky compared to a bias IMO. You had to find a low enough RPM where it would not dead hook or blow the tires off. Dead hooking is hard on drive line components and tires. Usually the term is "black tracking" where you have a little extra wheel speed yet still totally under control. I call that launching "4-speed straight" if you get my drift.
I saw your dart in the other thread and was wondering if you would chime in, sweet car. I appreciate the input, my plan if it works is to combat some of that with throwing the kitchen sink at it as mentioned above. I know one thing for sure no matter the outcome it will be a blast as I'm sure your experience has been. Rogue river is a beautiful area, we always spent time every summer at my wife's granddad's in Bonanza if you know where that's at. Where do you race at?

I saw your dart in the other thread and was wondering if you would chime in, sweet car. I appreciate the input, my plan if it works is to combat some of that with throwing the kitchen sink at it as mentioned above. I know one thing for sure no matter the outcome it will be a blast as I'm sure your experience has been. Rogue river is a beautiful area, we always spent time every summer at my wife's granddad's in Bonanza if you know where that's at. Where do you race at?
I like your plan of easing into the kitchen sink instead of just throwing it directly at it LOL...
I haven't unleashed my kitchen sink yet but to be honest with my other hobbies and this Power Wagon build totally consuming my spare time plus work being very busy I just never got to the track this year and even when I thought about it it was just too freaking hot...

More carb work today... at least we don't have this to deal with...
PXL_20211026_172848490.jpg

I lived in K Falls for 7-8 years. Covered the Cascades up to the North side of Crater Lake and Way out East almost to the Steens Mtn. range. I was in Bonanza to turn up the first cell tower in the area off of Hwy 70. Camped many, many nights at the Gerber Reservoir. We used to take my 70 W100 on the old stage and logging roads all the way to Nevada. Lots of good memories, thanks for mentioning that!

As far as the clutch tamer goes it will definitely help. I have been using a device to moderate the clutch hit for some time in one form or another. In many classes it was against the rules to mechanically control the clutch release or at least until most of the cars went automatic. I think at that time the converter technology, some of the first trans brakes (Hipster at ATD and a few others) and early forms of DAQ helped level the playing field. I am not a class racer just a blue collar street/strip manual transmission enthusiast. : D

Next on the list of things to figure out is the shock/suspension setup. If that isn't working you are going to have problems. For low traction environments I have good luck with the front shocks on or close to full loose and stager the rear in an attempt to plant the tires evenly against the pitch rotation. My technique for this type of adjustment is called "nitrous hits in the driveway". I feel we have been relatively successful with this technique. Not recommended if you have intolerant neighbors!

68 Dart dead hook.jpg

I lived in K Falls for 7-8 years. Covered the Cascades up to the North side of Crater Lake and Way out East almost to the Steens Mtn. range. I was in Bonanza to turn up the first cell tower in the area off of Hwy 70. Camped many, many nights at the Gerber Reservoir. We used to take my 70 W100 on the old stage and logging roads all the way to Nevada. Lots of good memories, thanks for mentioning that!

As far as the clutch tamer goes it will definitely help. I have been using a device to moderate the clutch hit for some time in one form or another. In many classes it was against the rules to mechanically control the clutch release or at least until most of the cars went automatic. I think at that time the converter technology, some of the first trans brakes (Hipster at ATD and a few others) and early forms of DAQ helped level the playing field. I am not a class racer just a blue collar street/strip manual transmission enthusiast. : D

Next on the list of things to figure out is the shock/suspension setup. If that isn't working you are going to have problems. For low traction environments I have good luck with the front shocks on or close to full loose and stager the rear in an attempt to plant the tires evenly against the pitch rotation. My technique for this type of adjustment is called "nitrous hits in the driveway". I feel we have been relatively successful with this technique. Not recommended if you have intolerant neighbors!

View attachment 1715810971
Been to Gerber Reservoir many times, great country around there. My wifes grandpa was the only mechanic in town, set up shop in Bonanza after he got out of the Navy in ww2, then became postmaster. He lived there for allot of years. He's 98 now and living in an old folks home home in K falls, still sharp as a tack and drives no problem. Appreciate the advice, and what et does the dart run?.

Been to Gerber Reservoir many times, great country around there. My wifes grandpa was the only mechanic in town, set up shop in Bonanza after he got out of the Navy in ww2, then became postmaster. He lived there for allot of years. He's 98 now and living in an old folks home home in K falls, still sharp as a tack and drives no problem. Appreciate the advice, and what et does the dart run?.

I know the town well.

As far as ET...wouldn't you like to know : D

<grudge car>

-
Back