drag radials??

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I'm looking at installing a set of drag radials on my Cuda to improve traction and was planning on ordering a set of ET streets from Summit when I ran across a reputable tire dealer selling Nitto drag radials for $40 per tire cheaper with free shipping. Question is has anybody here ran the Nitto's and if so what do you think of them? Sure would be nice to save $100 but if their junk it's not worth it. What do you guys think?

In case your interested on the application and size there going on a 68 Cuda with a 408 that should propel it into the mid to low 12's. Tire size will be 255/60/15

Thanks, Tracy

I hear they dont stick on par with the M/T's , ET's ect. they last a bit longer.

I run M/T ET streets and they hook good, I have always heard they are the stickiest and best one to use.

If you ever go and see the drag radial class racing you'll notice that most of them use the MT's. Good enough for me. I'm happy with mine.

The Nittos are a better street tire but wont hook as good, The M/Ts wont last as long as the nittos. Hoosiers drag radials are also said to be just as good (traction wise) as the M/T.

I believe M/T is the only company making them in a 255-60-15 though.

I've heard nothing bad about the M/T's. They will be my next set.. Nitto's don't have as big a sizing choice as M/T, especially for our older cars running 15" rims...

Bob

I'm running a set of BF Goodrich P325/50/15 drag radials. They're good but you must run low air pressure for them to hook. I've run the ET streets and they hook a little better with higher pressures. I haven't run the Nitto's, but they have a harder compound and for the money are a good street/strip tire. Not sure about the air pressures for drag racing. Although I do see guys running them at the strip.

Great info guys. Them lasting longer generally means their harder and relates to not sticking as well and since traction is the most important reason I'm wanting tires looks like I'll just have to spend the extra money for the MT's.

Thanks alot for all the responses. Tracy

I had some 275-60-15s on my 69 Barracuda and they hooked great.

76.jpg

79.jpg

did they bolt up or did you have to move the springs in?

With the right rim backspace/width shouldn't be a problem. I'm running 275/60R15 ET Street Radials also with the springs in the stock location. Mine stick out a bit more than the ones in the photos above, but that's probably because I have less backspacing.

M/T ET streets and M/T drag radials are two different tires..from what i've seen the drag radials hook better,i've been using them for 3 seasons with great success..i let a friend try them once who was using the e.t. streets and he is hooked on the drag radials now too..

Mickey thompson drag radials hands down,I ran the bfgs and they sucked,also the nittos are much harder and dont hook near as well.I ran 25 psi in the mickeys with a 3800 lb. car making 540 lb ft of torque with stock supspenson including front and rear sway bars and hooked conistently with 60 ft. times in the 1.6s.I also put 1,200 street miles on them without excessive wear,even got caught in the rain a couple times here in the great northwest.

lemans.jpg

I am running M/T sportsman pro's on the street.

They hook very nice, maybe too nice, but getting caught in the rain with 12" tires in the rear is almost as slippery as a frozen lake.
Not fun when wet.

I plan on running 325/50R15 M/T Drag radials after I get my rear discs installed.

Lead, what year is your Pontiac? My buddy has a LeMans that he is building and doesn't plan on building a GTO clone either!!

My father owned a 68 LeMans, 350 H.O. 4speed car in the early 70s. Col car.

-
Back