Drag Truck Part 2 "blackmark redemption"

-
What range of diff gears did these trucks come out with originally?

2.71 with a 31 inch tyre you arent even going to see much of second gear over the quarter mile!

What range of diff gears did these trucks come out with originally?

2.71 with a 31 inch tyre you arent even going to see much of second gear over the quarter mile!
3.21-3.55's would be mostly what you'd find in a D150. Mine would have been 3.55's from the factory, but somebody swapped them out for the 2.71's. I'm sure I wouldn't get out of 2nd gear in the 1/4 mile, but I haven't really driven it except what you see in the video's because I don't have plates on it yet.

3.21-3.55's would be mostly what you'd find in a D150. Mine would have been 3.55's from the factory, but somebody swapped them out for the 2.71's. I'm sure I wouldn't get out of 2nd gear in the 1/4 mile, but I haven't really driven it except what you see in the video's because I don't have plates on it yet.

First gear is going to take you to just over 60mph with those tyres at 4500rpm and with the weight and gearing of the truck currently im not sure how much faster than that it will go over the quarter?

If you cant find a really cheap diff centre for it i would be putting the smallest 15 inch tyre you could find on it, even a 25.6" tyre like a 225 50 15 would only take you back to around the equivalent of a 3.5:1 ratio.

First gear is going to take you to just over 60mph with those tyres at 4500rpm and with the weight and gearing of the truck currently im not sure how much faster than that it will go over the quarter?

If you cant find a really cheap diff centre for it i would be putting the smallest 15 inch tyre you could find on it, even a 25.6" tyre like a 225 50 15 would only take you back to around the equivalent of a 3.5:1 ratio.
agree! We'll be changing things pretty quickly on this project, including the motor. :)

Waiting to see what the weight is. Let us know what you have taken off, I maybe able to help you more.

t61a.jpg

Waiting to see what the weight is. Let us know what you have taken off, I maybe able to help you more.

View attachment 1715480717
going to weigh it this week. We'll do a phase 1 weight reduction for this summer. We hope to get it to 3600 lbs without sawzalls or changing the appearance drastically. In the mean time, we are looking for a manual steering box. Then next year when we install the "budget motor", I'm sure that will lead to more weight reduction as we push it to go faster.

going to weigh it this week. We'll do a phase 1 weight reduction for this summer. We hope to get it to 3600 lbs without sawzalls or changing the appearance drastically. In the mean time, we are looking for a manual steering box. Then next year when we install the "budget motor", I'm sure that will lead to more weight reduction as we push it to go faster.
Just take the belt off the power steering pump it will be manual... Lol...

I had a 67 chevy 1/2 ton long bed for a while. 292 posi 4 speed low profile 60 series tires. I could put it in the compound gear and ease to a stop on pavement and leave the clutch engaged and sit there at an idle while the rear tires slowly spun.

We're happy with this starting weight! 1/4 tank of gas, no spare or jack.

DSCN2736.JPG

DSCN2738.JPG

68dodge

Last edited:
WOW! that's not bad!kinda like a later model B-body. I can't wait for the hacking! I LUV taking stuff apart...it's the putting back together that takes so long,with parts left over. Come on Spring!

Hell......that’s a feather weight!!

The shipping weight on my old Fury wagon is listed at 4200lbs.

Looks like the std gearing for it would have been 2.94’s.

So let’s seeeeeee...... that thing went 17.9’s at like 4425lbs race weight....... you’ll be 450lbs lighter....... and you’re talking about a gear change.
So......“In theory”, You should be at the bottom of the 17’s with the rest of the truck basically stock.

This is like what I had......
Though I don’t recall mine having the roof rack, and it didn’t have the wood grain.

5B49FBBC-0FE8-40B3-B198-BF174888D762.png

Last edited:
Hell......that’s a feather weight!!

The shipping weight on my old Fury wagon is listed at 4200lbs.

Looks like the std gearing for it would have been 2.94’s.

So let’s seeeeeee...... that thing went 17.9’s at like 4425lbs race weight....... you’ll be 450lbs lighter....... and you’re talking about a gear change.
So......“In theory”, You should be at the bottom of the 17’s with the rest of the truck basically stock.
well, as it stands with 31" tires and 2.71's, and don't forget the tight truck converter... I don't know. But we'll line it up against my 16.7 (track proven) Ram, and see how bad it gets beat soon :)

Last edited:
Take the box, bumpers off and light weight wheels and your at low 3000#'s
Add a lite weight flat bed

Take the box, bumpers off and light weight wheels and your at low 3000#'s
Add a lite weight flat bed
we'll pull about 200 lbs out this year for the small block we are going to put in it. We wanted to be at 3600 this year, and it looks like that will be pretty easy.

LOL... so on our little cruise today (first time out on the highway), I can verify, she has some long legs that's for sure.... :D

we'll pull about 200 lbs out this year for the small block we are going to put in it. We wanted to be at 3600 this year, and it looks like that will be pretty easy.

Not a mopar , but I built a 92 GMC short wide w/ a hot 406 sbc , that finish weighed 3500 even . Ran hi elevens and got 16.1 on the hiway --------30'' tires /373 gears.

Not a mopar , but I built a 92 GMC short wide w/ a hot 406 sbc , that finish weighed 3500 even . Ran hi elevens and got 16.1 on the hiway --------30'' tires /373 gears.
that's cool, not everything has to weigh 3000 lbs and have 4.56 gears to motor on down the track :)

Dug out my old small block "hedman headers" for the truck today. :) Along with them, I had a set of summit headers, same application. You would never know by the shape, length and design they were intended for the same application. The summit drivers header has a tube beat in because I remember it didn't fit. The Hedmans fit like a glove. Years ago I installed them, then removed them, so they are basically new.

Last edited:
-
Back