Drag Truck Part 2 "blackmark redemption"

-
You gotta be kidding! I just came in for a break, been laying under Matt's truck, and that is exactly what we decided to do.
He is using old mufflers and pipe though for now. He has a really tight budget!
Squeeze every penny till Lincoln cries! Sometime, somewhere in the future, we'll have to meet up and run our trucks. Does Jabs have a "out of town" 1/4 marked off? He'd be an excellent host, and we'll let him serve the pizza.... :D :D

I really only use one math to measure my car's efficiency, and that is MPH / 1320. Other than that, it is what it is. No calculator showed my Duster going 13.3's in it's current state, but the ET slip is the voice of truth.

I beg to differ, from the ET slip we get>
3500lbs?/292fwhp
60 Foot E.T. : 1.85
1/8 Mile E.T. : 8.41
1/8 Mile Trap Speed : 80.81
1/4 Mile E.T. : 13.33
1/4 Mile Trap Speed : 101
and as you ran 99mph I think your 60-1/8th was prob a bit better than 1.85/8.41
:)

Last edited:
3500lbs?/292fwhp
that is what I ran for a 60 ft and 1/8 mile, LOL. My remark was the build running what it runs. I don't think people would expect that with 2.94 gears and a stock torque converter, I know I wouldn't have 2 years ago. Especially with a stock 360 4bbl and headers. My point being we have no clue what this truck will do. How can anybody, the truck isn't built yet.

Squeeze every penny till Lincoln cries! Sometime, somewhere in the future, we'll have to meet up and run our trucks. Does Jabs have a "out of town" 1/4 marked off? He'd be an excellent host, and we'll let him serve the pizza.... :D :D

We hope to have Matt's on the road by the end of next week.
He really needs some decent rear tires! Tiny ones on there now, I told him he will have to drive like he is on ice...

I hope to start on Old Yeller soon, I will start with hacking off weight at first, because that is free. Unfortunately my budget had a severe setback last week, but now I have to get it running.... How can I pass up a chance at free pizza?
And, good times...

My point being we have no clue what this truck will do. How can anybody, the truck isn't built yet.

You could apply the same logic and say it might run 9’s...... or even 8’s!!!

3500lbs?/292fwhp

That’s why I don’t use ET ever as a metric to see how much power I’m making, what the car SHOULD run and how it hooks.

MPH= HP
ET= hook

That’s why I don’t use ET ever as a metric to see how much power I’m making, what the car SHOULD run and how it hooks.

MPH= HP
ET= hook
Agree. But you can have all the power but if you can't get the car to work, you lose.

Agree. But you can have all the power but if you can't get the car to work, you lose.

I agree. If you use the ET number instead of the MPH number, you won’t know which number is off.

For example let’s say you are running 12.00 at 130 MPH. You will KNOW that is a hook issue. If you are running a 12.00 at 99 MPH would tell me the car is hooking like it’s on cogs, but the engine is down on power.

It much easier if you have dyno numbers so you know what power you have. Using the ET to determine what the car should run doesn’t work, because you can run a 12 flat at 130 and a 10.25 at 130 did the engine power change? No, but the ET did. You can have wildly different ET’s for the same MPH.

That’s why I always use MPH to determine what the ET should be. Even with a bunch of tire spin the MPH won’t change much.

I agree. If you use the ET number instead of the MPH number, you won’t know which number is off.

For example let’s say you are running 12.00 at 130 MPH. You will KNOW that is a hook issue. If you are running a 12.00 at 99 MPH would tell me the car is hooking like it’s on cogs, but the engine is down on power.

It much easier if you have dyno numbers so you know what power you have. Using the ET to determine what the car should run doesn’t work, because you can run a 12 flat at 130 and a 10.25 at 130 did the engine power change? No, but the ET did. You can have wildly different ET’s for the same MPH.

That’s why I always use MPH to determine what the ET should be. Even with a bunch of tire spin the MPH won’t change much.
My math is 1320 divided by MPH. Tells me what ballpark the car should be running. My car runs 13.3's at 99 mph. Divide 1320 by 99 and BINGO - 13.3. Very hard to get a street car (especially with a open rear end) to run the ET per MPH. Usually true street cars don't have enough gear/converter/traction to make it work.

My math is 1320 divided by MPH. Tells me what ballpark the car should be running. My car runs 13.3's at 99 mph. Divide 1320 by 99 and BINGO - 13.3.

I show a 13.1 but your also not factoring I the weight. BTW you are using the MPH which is more accurate.

I don’t use that math. I used a tried and tested tool that I’ve been using since 1984. It is incredibly accurate.

Edit: a 13.1 at 99 is about 295 HP at 4000 pounds.
errr nice one YR:)

weight/mph is fwhp of course..but
If you know the weight you can get a good calc from either known engine hp or better still an ET slip.

Last edited:
You gotta be kidding! I just came in for a break, been laying under Matt's truck, and that is exactly what we decided to do.
He is using old mufflers and pipe though for now. He has a really tight budget!
Nice, I have mine dump right before the rear axle.

t74.JPG

-
Back