Drag Week

-
Mhhh I just might consider this

How would a 13-14 second Street car do in an event like this?

Someone who has been might have a better answer but I think there will only be a few 13-14 second cars there. Most of the others will be much faster. I am fearful that I will be on the slow end with high 11s. But, the way I look at it.... who cares? Just go and enjoy yourself. I'm on a budget so the car can't be much faster at this point but I think it will still be a blast!

Here's last year's results. http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2016/09/Final-Results.pdf

Like Walker said - it's about the fun and challenge. And, unlike other "sports" I've been involved in, I didn't witness any asshats acting like others didn't belong.

Someone who has been might have a better answer but I think there will only be a few 13-14 second cars there. Most of the others will be much faster. I am fearful that I will be on the slow end with high 11s. But, the way I look at it.... who cares? Just go and enjoy yourself. I'm on a budget so the car can't be much faster at this point but I think it will still be a blast!
You will see me and my son there.:steering:

I could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure dw only takes a set number of cars and fills very fast. If you do get in, get the rules before you put your car together and build for a class. Another show you might be interested in is rocky mountain race week. Same general kind of event but smaller than dw. Good luck

I could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure dw only takes a set number of cars and fills very fast. If you do get in, get the rules before you put your car together and build for a class. Another show you might be interested in is rocky mountain race week. Same general kind of event but smaller than dw. Good luck
I bought the platinum package so my kid can meet frieberger and finnigan. Should be fun.

From what I've read, if you don't get in on the internet registration day to immediately send drag week an email requesting to be on the waiting list. Then just show up at the track on registration day and they will let you in. Supposedly they have never turned anyone away that shows up to race. That's the only thing that made me feel good about going ahead and booking all the hotels.

From what I've read, if you don't get in on the internet registration day to immediately send drag week an email requesting to be on the waiting list. Then just show up at the track on registration day and they will let you in. Supposedly they have never turned anyone away that shows up to race. That's the only thing that made me feel good about going ahead and booking all the hotels.
You are probably right, I've only gone and watched. It's on my bucket list though.

That's true - they've never turned anyone away. My only worry is at some point they can only have so many cars. So much time allocated at each track. Last year I believe 347 registered.

What happens when over 400 show up? Or more?

It's gotten a lot popular. I am sure they don't want to turn away people who've come with great anticipation. But IMHO at some point/year/registration they will have to say - this is it.

2016-09-20 18.01.31.jpg
That's true - they've never turned anyone away. My only worry is at some point they can only have so many cars. So much time allocated at each track. Last year I believe 347 registered.

What happens when over 400 show up? Or more?

It's gotten a lot popular. I am sure they don't want to turn away people who've come with great anticipation. But IMHO at some point/year/registration they will have to say - this is it.

Well I made it into Drag Week.....time to put the car together!

I think I went " Street Race Small Block N/A " but I filled out the entry so fast I'm not sure.... I figured if it was wrong they would just put in in the correct class when I showed up

I think I went " Street Race Small Block N/A " but I filled out the entry so fast I'm not sure.... I figured if it was wrong they would just put in in the correct class when I showed up

You can switch when you get there. It's not big deal.

I signed up Street Machine Eliminator.

From my observations last year and just my thought process - I don't expect to "win" anything so ..... if you run Street Machine Eliminator, its the biggest class and runs last ... so you're going to be getting on road later than all other classes ... BUT ... you get to sleep in and arrive later in morning ... lol ... so ...

I may switch just to get in class to run sooner and get on road ... but even if we run low 10's .... it will be slow compared to rest of classes outside of Street Machine that we would qualify for ... lol

I signed up for street machine eliminator also. My only hope at winning would be if half the cars in street machine eliminator break down so I would have a chance at being in the top 32 lol! Then I would still have to win the bracket race. I am hoping to average 11.99 ish so I'm thinking I have no chance at winning anything but will still be a blast!!

I signed up for street machine eliminator also. My only hope at winning would be if half the cars in street machine eliminator break down so I would have a chance at being in the top 32 lol! Then I would still have to win the bracket race. I am hoping to average 11.99 ish so I'm thinking I have no chance at winning anything but will still be a blast!!

Ya .. lol ... I have no delusions about placing in anything. It's just the experience - and goal of finishing. I've done of lot of things in my life all over the world, but last year just tagging along was one of the best times ... can't wait to participate!!!!

See you there!!!!

We went with some friends running last year. Caught the bug and now have our project car.

"Low budget". Hmmm. I dunno. I thought medium budget and that is already pushing it. Lol

Take a look at the classes and results from last year. It's seriously competitive. Even street machine eliminator top 16 qualifying averaged I think 11.0x or less.

Depends on what low budget means to you and what skills you have. ;). And how dependable you can make it. A low budget strictly strip car is much different than one to drive 1k miles + in five days.

The Hot Rod category is cool. Less cars. Not as fast. (Remember all NHRA/IHRA rules).

Do you have anything to start with? Fox and F bodies are less costly to get into shape. You could take LS1 camaro/firebird, toss decent size turbo on it, roll cage, beef up rear and shed some weight. Or. Mustang.

I'd suggest going this year and tagging along. It's absolute blast and you can figure out first hand. People are awesome. You can follow along the route. Just book your hotels now. Lol

Hope this helped a little.
what part of va you located? im 10 minutes from martinsville!

Are any of you guys planning to pull a trailer? I don't have one so I guess I'll be attempting to get all my tools in the back seat and trunk.

Are any of you guys planning to pull a trailer? I don't have one so I guess I'll be attempting to get all my tools in the back seat and trunk.
I think I'm going to pull one, or at least make a rack for the back of some sort.

I am running drag radials so I won't be changing tires. Still need to bring jack and jack stands I guess for possible breakdowns. I am redoing my transmission cooler lines this weekend because I found out the were 1) rubbing against the header so I doubt they were doing much cooling and 2) I had no way to pull the starter in the position they were ran.

-
Back