Drainage holes in Subframe connectors

-

adamm

Reaction score
I recently had some subframe connectors welded into my 74 Dart sport, and I noticed that water tends to sit on the inside of the square tubing that connects the front and rear of the car. I plan to seal off any areas that water could get in.

However, would there be any issues if I drilled 2, 1/4" drainage holes in each one to help keep them dry and drain out any water that happens to get in?

I don't know if structurally it would make a difference.

No, it won't affect the strength. The factory put drainage holes in the frame rails that are much bigger. I would drill bigger holes myself to allow junk to flow out better.

you can also use the holes for spraying rust check in to prevent future rust. where there is water rust will soon follow .

Or you could seal them up completely so water never gets in.
That's what I did with my 2x3 rails because even drain holes let the air breath in and out of them with temp changes.
They would probably outlast the rest of the car anyway, but still.

Thank you for the replies! I'll go a bit bigger, and have a couple cans of eastwoods inner frame rail paint that I will use to coat them.

Appreciate the help.

Or you could seal them up completely so water never gets in.
That's what I did with my 2x3 rails because even drain holes let the air breath in and out of them with temp changes.
They would probably outlast the rest of the car anyway, but still.
You hit the nail right on the head here.
When you think of it, the sub frame connectors are thicker than the frame itself. (Or they should be IMHO)
If you submerged a piece of the same material in salt water, it would last for years without eating through with rust.
The modification will out last the car, so why would you worry about it?
As long as it is sealed no water can get in, and even if it did, the only thing that you would maybe have to worry about is a ''sloshing'' sound.
A lot of people over think these things.
Just weld them in, seal them up and paint them, and forget about it!

You hit the nail right on the head here.
When you think of it, the sub frame connectors are thicker than the frame itself. (Or they should be IMHO)
If you submerged a piece of the same material in salt water, it would last for years without eating through with rust.
The modification will out last the car, so why would you worry about it?
As long as it is sealed no water can get in, and even if it did, the only thing that you would maybe have to worry about is a ''sloshing'' sound.
A lot of people over think these things.
Just weld them in, seal them up and paint them, and forget about it!

That's about it, but we do like to over think things here don't we.:D
My Brother and I built mine with .085 wall and they are welded to the back of the cross member right next to the torsion bar sockets and also extended on the under side of that cross member welded and also welded to the bottom of the front frame rails.
They ain't going anywhere and neither is anything they are welded to.:D

subframe.jpg

That's about it, but we do like to over think things here don't we.:D
My Brother and I built mine with .085 wall and they are welded to the back of the cross member right next to the torsion bar sockets and also extended on the under side of that cross member welded and also welded to the bottom of the front frame rails.
They ain't going anywhere and neither is anything they are welded to.:D

View attachment 1715090220

I actually ran across your design some time back which prompted me to look closer at mine. That's when I found water would sit in the tubing until I jacked the front end up so it would run out.

I really like how you fold that small section in and weld the tubes closed. Had I known awhile back I would have done the same. I'll save that tidbit for my next car.

Thank you!

-
Back