Dried out RTV tubes

-

68coupe

Reaction score
Thought I would ask a simple question about preserving RTV Gasket Maker. Just bought the third tube this year, 75% of the old tube dried out and wasted. I keep the cap on and the tube in the tool box.

Are there any tricks to keep this stuff fresh? Put it in a zip-lock bag? Put it in the refrigerator? I know it seems trivial, but I'm up to nearly $25 in a year for wasted RTV!

I don't have this problem. I take the nozzle off and screw the cap on tightly. There will be a cured slug in the threaded portion of the tube to clear but the rest is still good.

I don't have this problem. I take the nozzle off and screw the cap on tightly. There will be a cured slug in the threaded portion of the tube to clear but the rest is still good.

X2. I've had tubes that had to be a couple years old in garage. Temp range -10 to +100, dig the 'slug' out and good to go. They usually don't harden completely till maybe 1/4 tube. Same for most other tube products incl glues, caulk...I've had them where I can't get to come out the end and I cut a hole in side of the tube and get one last use out of it.

I will definitely try that. Thanks, Guys

-
Back