Drill hole in front spring hanger

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok so got my new leaf springs XHD+1 and I need to drill a biger hole for the bolt that goes through the front spring hanger.Does anyone know what size bit to get the right hole.Thanksssssssssss.

9/16 is the size of the bolt The bolt is a special bolt. When the bolt is trough the hanger The shank of the bolt should be the same lenght as the bushing in the spring. The threads are short. I bought Longer 9/16 20 grade 8 bolts and cut the length so I had just enough threads for the nut.

Also the shackle end takes the larger b-body shackles . you will need to encrease the size of the holder in the rear also . Cut the tubes out of the a-body brackets and increase the size to the same size as the rear eye in the spring. I couldn't find a pipe or sleeve that size so I made them in the lathe. I have some from my car that were left over from moving the hangers into the frame doing a inboard spring kit if you need them. Steve

Ok anyone else done this what did you run into.Dam,I just thought drill the hole bigger in the front hanger and done,:violent1: now a problem at the rear

I used espo springs numerous times and never had to do anything with the shackles.. used stock shackles and bushings.

I'd measure to confirm the bolt size before doing anything.

Tell me something why cant we just get parts that require no modssssssssssssss,I know that's the fun sometimes but come on when will it stop LOL.

Here is what I did and these were for springs with large eyes front and rear . I never saw them large front small rear except for stock 73 up. But I won't say they didn' make them. You can use the small shackles to install the springs with the large eye. But if they are the large eyes with the large bushings the shackles will be loose in the spring. The bolt is 9/16 for sure . 9/16 hole will be excact. 19/32 will be 1/32 over . I prefered to be excact but to each his own. 19/32 will work and be easier to get in. Here are some picks of the different hardware for both style springs. Bolts are taken from a 73 up car. You can also use the front hangers form the later cars These are early drilled. Just some friendly info that might be useful. I do have any hardware needed. at this time. Steve

Attachments

• shackle1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 275
  • shackle2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 293
  • shackle3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 288
  • shackle4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 297
Thanks Steve for the pics,I plan on digging into this sometime in the late winter,I took a look at the springs I got and the rear eye holes looks small so maybe they made them to work with my stock rear bushings.I guess time will yell.Thanks again.

Ok so got my new leaf springs XHD+1 and I need to drill a biger hole for the bolt that goes through the front spring hanger.Does anyone know what size bit to get the right hole.Thanksssssssssss.

Did you buy the XHD's from mancini?

If so, they recommended I buy their hanger:

Mancini A-Body Dual Location #MREAR0077.……………………….……...$67.95

This hanger has the correct size holes for what you're trying to do.

Did you buy the XHD's from mancini?

If so, they recommended I buy their hanger:

Mancini A-Body Dual Location #MREAR0077.……………………….……...$67.95

This hanger has the correct size holes for what you're trying to do.

No, I got them from National Moparts here in Canada,who makes them for them I dont know.

Holes have been drilled for 10 bucks.Also thease springs have the small eye for my rear bushings,now as soon as it warms up say -3 or +1 I will be all over this.

-
Back