Drill press

-

moparstud440

Reaction score
Probably a long shot but I'm trying to find a part for my broken drill press. It's a Northern Industrial drill press Part Number 155301. I need item #68 on the parts drawing. It's referred to as the insert pulley. I've tried googling and ebay and such, but without an actual part number for the part, it's hard to find anything. Didn't know if someone that maybe repairs such items or has more knowledge would be able to help me locate one or not. If not I'll just have to go buy another drill press, but was trying to fix this one if I could.

drillpress2.jpg

drillpress.png

Do yourself a favour and seek out an old Buffalo or Canadian drill press. They are built like tanks and were really expensive in the day, but you could probably pick one up for $200 or less. The models were manufactured with a morse taper spindle, or a JT33 spindle nose. They had table top and floor models in 15 and 18 inch varieties (7.5 vs 9 inches from the center of the drill bit to the column). An 18 is a real score!

I do not know the quality of drill press you need, but I can tell you that I bought a drill press at Habor Freight about 15 years ago, and it has worked flawlessly for me. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Made in China doesn't make replacement parts after a decade or two. Heck, you would be lucky getting parts for a Made in USA drill now days. Like @Dana67Dart said, take the part to a machine shop. It looks pretty easy to duplicate.

I have 2 old Rockwell delta drill preßes, built like tanks, in America and parts are still available should I ever need any.
Mine are both around 1973 vintage, and identical to what my high school shop had (wood shop, auto shop, welding shop all had them) when I went there in the 80s

1944 Walker Turner floor model here. Restored a 1940 one also and gave it to a friend of mine.

I would find someone locally with a lathe. Take all the parts you have and get a new one made. Since that one appears to rotate in the bearings, it is likely not critical for alloy or hardness

What is wrong with the old one? Could it be brazed/ welded / built up and re-turned? could it be turned down smaller and bushed back up again?

Don't discount the idea that you might turn it smaller and then use a bearing(s) with smaller ID, same OD, whatever, etc

Have a reputable local(ish) machine shop make a new one from superior stock & never worry about it again.

-
Back