Drilling 8.75 for LBP

-

Demon_Jeff_71

Banned
Reaction score
I was looking and didnt find anything. Has anyone drilled their SBP 8.75 axles for the LBP and have you had any problems? How much did it end up costing you and do you think it will hold up to 400 to 450hp? I am mostly a around town driver and a little draggin every now and then. Also if someone has some pictures I would appreciate it.

Appreciate advice.

Thanks
Jeff

No,I don,t think it,s a good idea!Here,s a pic of an axel out of a 8 1/4 4.10,s from an 452hp car.I,d just get axels from Moser,depends on how much you like your car?I was lucky not to cave in my 1/4 panel never mind hitting the wall,so if I was on the street!Who knows what might have happened?Play safe,do the right thing.Drilling the axel was an old fix back when the axels weren,t available,guys used to shorten axels for bbp and drill out.It,s better to go a safer root!My 2 cents.

Picture 010.jpg

Some where down the line someone did that to the axles of my car. They did it to the front drum brake wheel hub and drums also!! The kicker of it all is they welded the new stud in (on the back axles/hubs). Now I was thinking I just didn't like the idea of it so I installed disc brakes on the front and Yukon axles in the rear. My friend and I had a chuckle about it. If I had a wheel stud let's say cross thread I would be up the creek without a paddle with the studs welded in place. Glad I got by that.

But I had no problems and yes it can be done!

My Cuda had the axles drilled on it aout 20 yrs. ago and still going strong but never had more than 425 hp in it. Also never had any slicks on it. I'm not saying it's the best way to go. Just saying with my application it has worked fine. I do plan on replacing them someday soon though just to be safe.

I looked into it years ago locally here by dutchmans but they avised against it.Also besides the strength issue is cost,with new axles being pretty affordable its was about $175 more to just go new,I could see if you could do it yourself for the really low buck deal but I didnt want to take the chance.

i'm going to c body axles an have them resplined an shorten . i have all the drums backing plates an such already . the guy at the machine shop said he would do it on Saturday for 100$. but work being as it is might be awhile .

Have A Set Of Original Small Bolt Pattern Axles That Been Welded Up And Redrilled[costs Was 65 Bucs 3yrs Ago] Looks Good And Worked Good In A 69 Dart 440-4spd-4.10 Sg 10-1 Motor--562-300 Solid Cam--fenderwells- Was Run Only On Street Never Any Slicks But Still Was Ran Hard And Never Any Probs, They Are In My Car [71 Dart]now As Mock Up And I Inspected Them And There Is No Signs Of Damage Or Twisting, I Have Purchased New Axles[shorter] For My Narrowed Rear End So I Will Not Be Using These Rite Now But They Are Not For Sale May Use On Another Project------so Yea It Can And Has Been Done Successfully.........was An 8 3/4 Axle Stock Stuff, Seemed Ok For Street, Probably Not Recomended For Hi-hp With Slicks.....but 400-450 Hp Shouldnt Be Any Prob On Street

I had a set that was drilled let my brother in law use them in his 73 duster with a 451 Herb M. motor with ladder bars car would 1.4 something 60' and run 6.60/6.70 never a problem still in the car today......

-
Back