Drilling new rotor holes for Scarebird

-

Cuda68Scott

Reaction score
I am considering staying with my sbp and converting to front disks and am looking at the Scarebird system. I see where folks have drilled the rotors for the sbp for the Scarebird brake conversions, but I have not heard how they are doing it, other than a few have taken theirs to a machine shop. On the Scarebird website they say they give you a paper template to do your own drilling. I have access to a floor drill press, but still think my drilling accuracy would be marginal and the bolt circle would not be perfectly centered. Somehow this seems like it could cause vibration problems?

Would your basic auto machine shop have some more accurate tooling or templates to do a better job?

Machine shop is a great idea. They can chuck them up in a lathe and mark a perfect 4 1/2" circle and drill the holes from there.....

I use a Bridgeport milling machine with a rotary table to drill bolt patterns. I have added sbp to a set of wheels that are on my dart right now. The average automotive machine shop would most likely not have that equipment. I could do a set for you and ship them out if you can't find someone local.

Thanks guys, will have to check the capabilities of the local machine shops, although they seem to be a bit of a vanishing breed of business here in Phoenix. Mischief dart thanks for the offer and I will keep that in mind if I go the scarebird route.

I second post #5. However, using their paper template should be pretty accurate if you use a center punch to mark each hole.

If the rotor has the same center hole as your hub register, the rotor will center on that (hub-centric) and the bolt holes just need to clear the studs. If a bigger hole, the rotor will be "lug-centric" and you need more accurate holes.

The scarebird kit comes with a centering ring to center the rotor o the hub. I drilled mine using a harbor freight type small drill press and the paper pattern(I made a couple of copies of the paper pattern to keepfor future reference). I did have one hole that was off a little and needed a little grinding.

I did mine on my drill press at home and have had no issues, iirc it has been two years or so.

I am considering staying with my sbp and converting to front disks and am looking at the Scarebird system. I see where folks have drilled the rotors for the sbp for the Scarebird brake conversions, but I have not heard how they are doing it, other than a few have taken theirs to a machine shop. On the Scarebird website they say they give you a paper template to do your own drilling. I have access to a floor drill press, but still think my drilling accuracy would be marginal and the bolt circle would not be perfectly centered. Somehow this seems like it could cause vibration problems?

Would your basic auto machine shop have some more accurate tooling or templates to do a better job?

I'd take it to a machine shop. I had my hub changes from the SBP to the BBP due to the fact that I could then just swap out rotors if I ever needed to without redrilling the rotors for SBP. The cost should be similar. I paid 35.00 to get both hubs drilled out to BBP. BUT the pattern he gives you is accurate and the holes should be a little oversized since the centering ring adapter he give you in the kit makes the rotor a centered on hub fit, that way if your off a little bit the hub will recenter the rotor.

-
Back