Drive shaft for daughters '65 Barracuda

-

one mile

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install Engine and Trans. in Daughters '65 Barracuda and don't have a drive shaft. (long story) I wonder if I can get a regular slide yoke, remove stock flange off of stock 904 Trans tail shaft, then run a "regular" style drive shaft to the stock 7 1/4 ? Will the stock trans. take a slide yoke after removal of flange ? You Know, Slide yoke in trans, U joint, shaft tube, U joint then rear end. I have read a lot on this forum and seem to be real lost. That is easy for me. Any input welcome. :coffee2:

if you mean will the ball & trunion flange on the 65's original tranny simply swap-- no that won't happen . those tranny's are special 60-65 & only certain parts interchange---
you can have a custom made unit made-- or ask on here to see if anyone has one, they are out there.
Also your 65 is one year only-- do some searching to educate yourself.
Lawrence

Short answer to the flange removal - No. However you can get a conversion kit at your local driveshaft company. See this link http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/ujoint.htm I will be doing the same conversion on the 4 speed for my wagon and most likely for my 65 Barracuda too.

I have a driveshaft off of a '64 Dart (slant 6, 3 spd manual) - you can have it for the cost of shipping, if that would help.

Everyone is great here on this forum! 64DartGTinAZ I thank you for the offer! I have found one local I can buy to modify and was wondering if it would be better to build one from scratch. Thanks for the link VDART, I see now from the answer/info that 65 Dartman has shared (Great info) that I will have to get and modify the regular drive shaft. Can you use the setup described in the article that 65 Dartman posted on an Aluminum drive shaft ? Does anyone here have one already converted that they have no use for anymore that they would let go ? Daughter's car will be a D.D. so standard strength is all we need. :D

I took mine to a shop and they cut off the old trunion and welded on another u-joint in it,s place. I like it better since now I only have to replace the u-joints in a couple of years ($30 per) instead of trying to chase down obsolete and hard to find trunions

We had a whole new one built for Jake's 65 Bcuda when we put the 8-3/4 in behind a 318 and the original 904. . He's going to build a 360 and later 727 this Spring. He will need a new driveshaft and this one will be avail around early June. It's only 2 years old. I'm driving from Baltimore to Disney in late June. If you upgrade to an 8-3/4, this would be a direct fit......

I have one out of a 65 B body with an 8.75, I had it rebuilt by a local drive shaft shop 30 years ago, then wrecked the car. The shaft is still like new, ball and trunion was rebuilt when parts were common.

4X4 shops can make you a flanged slip yoke driveshaft, bolt on. 66 went to slip yoke but the VB went off the 65 cable push-pull setup.

Thanks for all the info everyone ! It is great for you all to offer to help. I have a nice factory 7 1/4 posi that I have all new "Stuff" in it drum to drum. I will not be going with a different rear. I can't afford to back up on a completely rebuilt rear. Not the strongest but it is all I have right now. It should be all she needs. pishta is probably right to go that route if I can't find one here. THANKS EVERYONE! Getting closer to getting it on the road for her. :thumblef:

I have one, you would just need to get it cut to the right length.
Price will be real reasonable.

1000344sf.jpg

-
Back